PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to driving

snubnose
07-22-2002, 02:53 AM
Most of the time, I just get in my black Si and drive even though I have nowhere to go. I often cruise south on Rt 1 for about 10 miles then turn around.

I always seem to have some kind of adventure- driving alongside a pretty girl in a black CXR as a road team, or playing with a middle-aged man in a green MB that says "Kompressor" on the back.

The driving experience is just fun. Sitting in the cockpit of the car, everything is right there where I need it. I rest my hand on the shift. The brochure describes it as "sitting in a 160 hp glove," which I think is apt.

This is the only car I've driven in which I can't see the car at all while I'm driving. I couldn't even tell you what color it is from the driver's seat. The car itself disappears. All I can see are the gauges and the road. It's almost like sitting in mid-air with that huge windshield.

I almost feel sorry for the drivers in their gray dusty Saturns and rusty Buicks around me. It's like they are just going about their mundane routines while I snarl, zip and accelerate around them like a spoiled kid on cocaine.

It is a pleasure to think that the power and handling this car comes with is permanent; it won't wear off the way a new pair of jeans eventually fades.

This car is not a tool, it is not transportation; it is a toy, just a toy. I often choose to drive an extra 10 miles to get that CD, rather than go to the neighborhood music store. Just an excuse to listen to engine a little bit more, to experiment with the moonroof, and to set the cruise control and tap it up or down.

It doesn't matter to me that another car at this price level may be .9 seconds faster in the quarter mile, I'll never know. All that matters is that the Si is fast and powerful enough to always be extremely fun. Besides, the other cars seem to have quality problems that dampen the overall experience.

I liken the Si to a high quality watch like a Tag Heur or a Rolex- it's simple, refined and built to work and enjoy for a lifetime.

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 07:52 AM
Shit dude, you sound like an commercial. But I feel the same way. Compared to my previous car (1990 civic si). This car is a blast to drive. It's small and powerful. It was made to knife in and out of traffic.

CleanBlackSi02
07-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Yeah man, you sold me. I want another one.

AkronSi
07-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Well said Snubnose!

I find myself turning down streets just to see where they go. I figure that I'll eventually end up where I was going. Or, I'll find someplace new and exciting.

02SilverSiHB
07-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
Most of the time, I just get in my black Si and drive even though I have nowhere to go.

Me too. The first day I had it, I couldn't sleep. I got out of bed at 2am and drove till 3am. I need help :D

Pradamuimui
07-22-2002, 12:23 PM
I think that we all need serious help, the Si is just to fun to drive...its jut about as addicting as sex!!!

iR-VTEC2
07-22-2002, 12:37 PM
That was bootiful. *sniff* Brought tears to my eyes.

I too do the same thing. I live with my gf and I look for excuses for me to "escape" and go drive my car.

Just yesterday after cleaning up our house, I noticed a bunch of boxes that were not being used for anything. I thought to myself "hmmmm I should go take these to a dumpster". So I kissed my beautiful lady bye and I drove off.

She said "please don't take long".
"im just gonna take these boxes to a dumpster, sheesh"

It took me 10 minutes to find that dumpster and throw the boxes. I came home an hour and a half later.

Her:Where were you!?!?!
Me:I was out
Her: WHY did you take so long?
Me:Cuz I didnt hurry
Her: DONT do that again
Me: I do what I want!

well......we all know it actually went like this.

Me: Sorry I took so long! I couldnt find an open dumpster
Her: Why do you have a coke from mcdonalds in your hand?
Me: Um....well i got thirsty
Her: Mmmmmhmmm.

*busted*

SmoothOperator
07-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Man I couldn't stand living with my GF, and I got the hell out!

Anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one who drives around aimlessly for fun! lol

MookieBlaylock5
07-22-2002, 12:51 PM
I sit at work and go thru withdrawls. 8 hours w/o popping the clutch is a long time.

DownTheHatch
07-22-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm with snubnose on this one :)

ApexinSi
07-22-2002, 01:09 PM
After reading this post I thought to myself how I never drive the speed limit and have the constant habit of ripping 2nd...not to mention squeeling my stock tires around turns.. I always get in the car and I think to myself that I'm going to drive the speed limit and not have the urge to downshift and speed around turns..somehow I always have that urge..oh well. I'm working on it....I think I'm going to rotate my tires soon....hows everyone else's tire wear?...for those of you that have stock tires...

iR-VTEC2
07-22-2002, 01:55 PM
The Tires are going!