PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Springs: Tien onto a Mugen Suspension

OH10_EP3
09-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey guys.

I suppose this is more of a personal opinion rather than a hard fact based thread (however facts are always appreciated!)

I have a used Mugen suspension that I will be installing on my EP this weekend. The suspension probably has between 50k-55k on it right now.

My current springs, Tien (not sure of model) are on my blown stock struts/shocks and have been so for at least 50k.

In an effort to get a little more drop out of the suspension, I am contemplating swapping the Tien springs onto the Mugen Struts. Does anyone have any opinions or advice regarding this? Any and all help is appreciated.

Here is a random picture of the Mugen front struts just after being re-painted, just to provide a visual aid :mcool:
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/brockcline/IMG_20120803_003901.jpg

.colin
09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
LOL why the hell did you buy Mugen suspension if you wanted to get low? Mugen paired that spring with that shock for a reason. Why not just sell the suspension to someone who wants it and just buy new shocks? Even used the Mugen SS can still fetch $450.00 - $550.00. Please don't ruin the Mugen SS by bastardizing it with Tein springs.

jettadreams
09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Opinion:
I feel if your looking for handling I would leave the Mugen springs in there, if your looking for a bit more ride comfort and a tad more drop the Tein springs would prob be the better option. They both have about the same miles on them so they prob have equal ware. Having driven around on a mugen suspension I was super happy with the pairing of the springs and struts in terms of handling. I was also not going much for a lowered status at that time either tho. Either way I want to see the turn out :pop2:

jettadreams
09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Mugen: Spring Rate: (283 Front/439 Rear) Drop: (1.4in all around)
Tein S Tech: Spring Rate: (280 Front/515 Rear) Drop: (1.4in Front/1.3in Rear)

OH10_EP3
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
LOL why the hell did you buy Mugen suspension if you wanted to get low? Mugen paired that spring with that shock for a reason.

I figured this would get a few purists going a bit, thanks for the response! I don't really want to get "low", if I did, I would be buying a full body coilover setup. I used to own the EP3 this suspension was on and it did sit a tad high for my liking. (as I remember)

Why not just sell the suspension to someone who wants it and just buy new shocks? Even used the Mugen SS can still fetch $450.00 - $550.00.

I bought these for a hell of a deal from a friend, far cheaper than I could have purchased a set of Tokiko's, Koni's, or AGX struts and shocks. I also would not want to turn around and sell them for more that I purchased them for without ever using them. Considering the deal I got, that'd be pretty shady on my end.

Please don't ruin the Mugen SS by bastardizing it with Tein springs.

Do you feel the basterdizing is based on perceived quality of Tein vs. Mugen, spring rate, etc? I find this interesting when looking through the spring rate/drope rate thread.

OH10_EP3
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Opinion:
I feel if your looking for handling I would leave the Mugen springs in there, if your looking for a bit more ride comfort and a tad more drop the Tein springs would prob be the better option. They both have about the same miles on them so they prob have equal ware. Having driven around on a mugen suspension I was super happy with the pairing of the springs and struts in terms of handling. I was also not going much for a lowered status at that time either tho. Either way I want to see the turn out :pop2:

Thanks for the opinion! I am sure the handling and ride will be far better than the blow OEM struts I have now. I was just looking for a way to utilize what I have to eat up some of the wheel gap I have. :mwink:

Just ran across this too. I wonder if this basically means swapping them would be null and void? Maybe the difference in drop I've seen between the two setups is more related to the bad struts as opposed to the spring rate and lowering qualities of the springs.

.colin
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I figured this would get a few purists going a bit, thanks for the response! I don't really want to get "low", if I did, I would be buying a full body coilover setup. I used to own the EP3 this suspension was on and it did sit a tad high for my liking. (as I remember)

I bought these for a hell of a deal from a friend, far cheaper than I could have purchased a set of Tokiko's, Koni's, or AGX struts and shocks. I also would not want to turn around and sell them for more that I purchased them for without ever using them. Considering the deal I got, that'd be pretty shady on my end.

Do you feel the basterdizing is based on perceived quality of Tein vs. Mugen, spring rate, etc? I find this interesting when looking through the spring rate/drope rate thread.

It's just a pretty rare and expensive setup to go swapping springs for no reason (especially when the drops are similar). But hey, you can always sell the Mugen springs to someone I suppose.

AKAahlecks
09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Defending against swapping springs. You're looking to go lower by swapping springs correct? But look what you just discovered; the Tein's have a less of a drop in the back, so why bother swapping at all?

OH10_EP3
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Just ran across this too. I wonder if this basically means swapping them would be null and void? Maybe the difference in drop I've seen between the two setups is more related to the bad struts as opposed to the spring rate and lowering qualities of the springs.

Defending against swapping springs. You're looking to go lower by swapping springs correct? But look what you just discovered; the Tein's have a less of a drop in the back, so why bother swapping at all?

Yup, I just noticed this! It does appear that the similar drop and spring rates would make the swap pretty pointless after all.

I may have underestimated the effect my terrible shocks have on my current ride height when compared to the Mugen.

OH10_EP3
09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
It's just a pretty rare and expensive setup to go swapping springs for no reason (especially when the drops are similar). But hey, you can always sell the Mugen springs to someone I suppose.

This is very true, I am thinking the combination of similar spring rates coupled with the rarity of the Mugen set up will push me towards keeping the set-up all Mugen.

AKAahlecks
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Have you ever thought of swapping the Mugen SS springs over to Koni Yellow shocks? I wonder what anyone has to say about this combo.

poeticfinesse21
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Konis or bilsteins would be a good replacement once the mugen shocks are blown but if they're still good then there's no point

OH10_EP3
09-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Have you ever thought of swapping the Mugen SS springs over to Koni Yellow shocks? I wonder what anyone has to say about this combo.

The shocks and struts are the Mugen set up seem to be in good working order, so this is not something I have though too much about. I am sure Koni's would serve well if the Mugen's end up going bad.

OH10_EP3
09-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Konis or bilsteins would be a good replacement once the mugen shocks are blown but if they're still good then there's no point

Yea, this is my thinking too. And honestly, by the time the Mugen's go bad, I hope to have enough saved for a set of coil overs. :mbiggrin:

lemonhead228
10-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I have the mugen ss w/ tien s-tech springs on my car..

A Ephatch member sold it with just the mugen struts, lucky I was already drop wit the s-tech springs so I pair them together. Cuz I read up that it was the closest spring rate.

I never rode it with the mugen springs but from my experience, they handle very good. Pretty stiff for shock and springs. I have like a 1 inch gap with 06 dc5-s Rims with 215/45 but my springs was already settle in.

AKAahlecks
11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried dropping the Mugen SS with Progress springs?

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=394295

poeticfinesse21
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Has anyone tried dropping the Mugen SS with Progress springs?

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=394295

You should read what I posted in that thread :shakehead:

OH10_EP3
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Sold!

b_ron
01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
You'll get more interest if you post it in the F/S thread....
I guess its not much that the post isn't significant to the thread, it's probably the rules just to post it in the F/S thread.

...though I'd take it if I had the money (maybe in a few months if you still have it)

poeticfinesse21
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Mods - Please PM before taking action (i.e. deleting this post, locking the thread, etc.) I understand that my post count is not significant to post a FS thread, but if I am sure there is something we can work out.

Well, my car was involved in a front end accident and was totaled. Since I don't have the post count needed to place this in the market place I figured I'd start here. I'm not bashing you just letting you know. Unless you're the original buyer and still have the receipts, used suspensions lose a significant amount of their value.

Mugen Showa Sport Suspension – $550 shipped OBO

This suspension has approximately 35k miles on it. I am certain that it has at least 23k (I have driven on it for at least this many miles, previous owner was unsure exact mileage of installation) and has been on 2 different EP3’s. I refreshed the silver paint when I installed them on my second EP3. They ride well, considerably stiffer than OEM, improved handling, and lowered the vehicle a bit as well. There is a bit of rust but all four strut assemblies are in good working condition.
Contact me via call/text at (three three zero) 495-7261, email (brock.m.cline@gmail.com), or PM if interested. My paypal address is bmc35@zips.uakron.edu.

You're asking for way too much considering that you don't even know the mileage on them and the amount of rust on them. I'm not bashing you, just letting you know. Unless you're the original buyer with the receipt, suspensions lose a significant amount of their value.

OH10_EP3
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
You're asking for way too much considering that you don't even know the mileage on them and the amount of rust on them. I'm not bashing you, just letting you know. Unless you're the original buyer with the receipt, suspensions lose a significant amount of their value.

Fist of all, you basically are. I love when people voice their opinions in a positive manner, but you've got a pretty negative underlying tone (as I interpret it) in this post and quite a few others. I tend to dislike giving attention to people with troll like behavior, but I will play.

I don't really agree with the notion that rust is indicative of function, but appearance is important enough, so I will concede some there. Not quite sure how the original receipt would affect the price of them. I've never seen a used Honda Civic magically be worth more because of the original dealer invoice or window sticker. A used Honda Civic is a used Honda Civic. Let's get the to meat of your qualm; pricing.

Asking price is based off the following criteria.

1. Initial Investment - While I was not the initial buying, nor do I have the receipt, but we all know that these retail in for over $1000

2. Rarity - I have been scouring the classifieds here, on clubep3, H-T, and eBay for some time and have only seen one or two sets appear. The eBay seller wanted over $700.

3. Peer Feedback:
Even used the Mugen SS can still fetch $450.00 - $550.00.

4. Medium: This is the internet. Forum buyers and craigslisters alike love to low ball (myself included) I tossed in a price that would not scare people off, but encourage offers, This lets me not loose my ass on them and allows the buyer to feel like they are getting a great deal.

Thanks for the bump my friend, Godspeed.

cyllarus
01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
:mmad:

Sigh, this is exactly,the upgrade im looking for, just not in the budget atm. A bit taller than my current setup, but it would get the ride height nazis off my butt.. :-)

OH10_EP3
01-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Sigh, this is exactly,the upgrade im looking for, just not in the budget atm. A bit taller than my current setup, but it would get the ride height nazis off my butt.. :-)

Budgets suck, but I totally understand. Feel free to shoot me an offer and we may be able to work something out.

jettadreams
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
http://mob206.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/jettadreams/E2B4836F-7F0B-49D6-B80E-27DFA908A04C-1790-000000BEA7FE1B45.jpg?t=1357656044

mugen outfitted EP3 :nod:

lemonhead228
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Yea this would diffinitly complete your car!

poeticfinesse21
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Seriously wasn't bashing you man, suspensions are probably the one car component that lose the most of their value once they have been used. Plus suspensions from the northern states tend to be in worse shape due to all that road salt and potholes. Good luck with your sale though

lemonhead228
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey guys.

I suppose this is more of a personal opinion rather than a hard fact based thread (however facts are always appreciated!)

I have a used Mugen suspension that I will be installing on my EP this weekend. The suspension probably has between 50k-55k on it right now.

My current springs, Tien (not sure of model) are on my blown stock struts/shocks and have been so for at least 50k.

In an effort to get a little more drop out of the suspension, I am contemplating swapping the Tien springs onto the Mugen Struts. Does anyone have any opinions or advice regarding this? Any and all help is appreciated.

Here is a random picture of the Mugen front struts just after being re-painted, just to provide a visual aid :mcool:

Mods - Please PM before taking action (i.e. deleting this post, locking the thread, etc.) I understand that my post count is not significant to post a FS thread, but if I am sure there is something we can work out.

Well, my car was involved in a front end accident and was totaled. Since I don't have the post count needed to place this in the market place I figured I'd start here.

Mugen Showa Sport Suspension – $550 shipped OBO

This suspension has approximately 35k miles on it. I am certain that it has at least 23k (I have driven on it for at least this many miles, previous owner was unsure exact mileage of installation) and has been on 2 different EP3’s. I refreshed the silver paint when I installed them on my second EP3. They ride well, considerably stiffer than OEM, improved handling, and lowered the vehicle a bit as well. There is a bit of rust but all four strut assemblies are in good working condition.

Contact me via call/text at (three three zero) 495-7261, email (brock.m.cline@gmail.com), or PM if interested. My paypal address is bmc35@zips.uakron.edu.

I don't get how it was 50k-55k miles than went to 35k miles. just saying Buyers becareful

OH10_EP3
01-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't get how it was 50k-55k miles than went to 35k miles. just saying Buyers be careful

Good catch and simple explanation sir. My initial post was a very high estimate. After discussion with the previous owner who I bought them from, we narrowed down a far better estimate of mileage.

Thanks for pointing the discrepancy out though, I appreciate it. Would not want to confuse prospective buyers.