PDA

View Full Version : ball joint replacements

Reaper27
09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
My current/OEM ball joints are worn out and the boots are almost nonexistant. I plan on lowering the car in the next few months and I've ahd my eye on the Buddy Club extended ball joints to upgrade them. My question right now is is it possible to use the BC joints now on my stock suspension until I get my coilovers or will it cause issues now?

mitchlikesbikes
09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
should be fine, they don't make a HUGE difference anyway

poeticfinesse21
09-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Shouldn't be a problem but make sure you DO NOT get the ball joints for the DC5-R. They WILL NOT fit into your lower control arm, the stud for the ball joint has a larger diameter. I would recommend the hardrace ball joints over the buddy clubs due to this quote from honda-tech:

the lower balljoint is not sold by its self from honda/acura.....it is a "cold fit" part....the balljoint is dipped in liquid Nitrogen and slipped into the cast knuckel....If you get a replacement balljoint( there are a bunch around if you search the interwebs), get one with a snapring to hold in the place as once you press the old balljoint out of the knuckel, the fit will not be as tight as a stock cold fit
Buddy clubs DO NOT come with the snap rings which sounds a little shady to me. How the hell is the ball joint going to stay in place with all the abuse of daily driving, not to mention autocross or track? Most buddy club products are amazing but no snap ring just sounds unsafe.

mitchlikesbikes
09-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Shouldn't be a problem but make sure you DO NOT get the ball joints for the DC5-R. They WILL NOT fit into your lower control arm, the stud for the ball joint has a larger diameter. I would recommend the hardrace ball joints over the buddy clubs due to this quote from honda-tech:

Buddy clubs DO NOT come with the snap rings which sounds a little shady to me. How the hell is the ball joint going to stay in place with all the abuse of daily driving, not to mention autocross or track? Most buddy club products are amazing but no snap ring just sounds unsafe.

i think they may have a slightly tighter tolerance or something, but it does still seem a bit sketchy. however with so many people running them they couldn't be too deadly right?

poeticfinesse21
09-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I've read on clubrsx that the buddy clubs weren't a "perfect fit" for some people and there was some slight play in the knuckle. Not to mention that they tend to break easily on the track or autox

Reaper27
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I was looking at the pics of the BC joints and it looks like there is a metal lip where the snap ring would be. Idk

poeticfinesse21
09-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I would say go with hardrace just to be safe, suspension parts are what they're known for.

Reaper27
09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
True, thanks for the input guys

usedep3
09-27-2012, 09:14 PM
...with so many people running them they couldn't be too deadly right?

lol

Reaper27
09-28-2012, 03:15 AM
Haha, yea I went ahead and ordered the Hardrace set instead plus it was $20 cheaper haha