PDA

View Full Version : I said goodbye to my EP3

Myriad
09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
3 weeks ago I traded-in my 2003 EP3 that I bought in near new condition with 17k miles on it in 2005 for a 2008 Si Sedan. The new car has more rev, more growl, and most importantly... more power. It was a bit of a hard decision to make since I had the car for 7 years.... it was a blast to drive and served me faithfully... but I think I like this one a little more in some ways. After having two more kids since I had the EP3, getting a sedan made more sense.

I am still a bit sentimental over the car, and I would love to see somebody get the car and have as much fun with it as I did. It currently has about 95k miles on it... no radio, but all the wiring is in it for an aftermarket system, including some Kicker coaxials and components in the factory locations. You can find it at Ed Schimdt VW in Perrysburg, OH. My salesman was Rocky... I'm sure he could help you get that EP3 and get her back on the road again. It could use a little work though, as it developed a bit of a tick in the engine (one of the lifters I assume). It could also use a new paint job from all the Toledo punks digging and stratching the car. I used a lot of touch-up paint on it.

Too all of the current EP3 owners, I'm sorry I jumped ship. And I hope all of you find as much joy in your car as much as I did.

DA9_GSR
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Do I smell a Mugen RR conversion down the road? I love the 8th gen's with their RBC intakes, LSD transmission, wicked styling and four doors. It's all win wins in my books. Have a blast and post some pics of the new whip when you get them.

Cheers,
Ryan

Danielsle
09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I wanted to fund my cousins Mugen RR conversion just so I could have one myself but not sure if he wants to go through with it. I love the RR! You should do it.

SkareKrow
09-30-2012, 06:43 PM
post pictures for sure. Don't forget your more then welcome to always comeback. =)

¶SK¬

HFPcivicSI
09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I would love to hear a ep3 owners DETAILED take on the SI sedan. I have kicked around getting one, my ep3 is getting turbo charged this month (Oct.) so power isnt the reason. Sometimes its just nice to have a sedan, although I doubt you can fit more in the SI sedan that you can in the ep3 hatch - it really is a mini-mini van, lol. I have been keeping an eye out on ebay for a nice GSR sedan with low mileage and stock (so I can mod the fuck out of it!) but I have not come across one yet.

Do you have any plans for minor mods? The HFP suspensions are DIRT cheap on ebay for the newer SI's, I would go that route, a nice intake, and call it a day. But.. we all know how that goes lol.

apexracing
10-01-2012, 06:39 AM
I've considered getting one as well, seeing as i have a 08 lx sedan already. But I really hate the throttle response of throttle by wire. Its hideous to say the least. If i got one i'd swap it to throttle by cable and kpro it. would take some work but in the end would be worth it really.

Myriad
10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
I would love to hear a ep3 owners DETAILED take on the SI sedan. I have kicked around getting one, my ep3 is getting turbo charged this month (Oct.) so power isnt the reason. Sometimes its just nice to have a sedan, although I doubt you can fit more in the SI sedan that you can in the ep3 hatch - it really is a mini-mini van, lol. I have been keeping an eye out on ebay for a nice GSR sedan with low mileage and stock (so I can mod the fuck out of it!) but I have not come across one yet.

Do you have any plans for minor mods? The HFP suspensions are DIRT cheap on ebay for the newer SI's, I would go that route, a nice intake, and call it a day. But.. we all know how that goes lol.

I'd say there are definitely a few differences between the EP3 and the FA5. The first thing I noticed when I test drove the car is the steering isn't quite as aggressive as the EP3, which I'm still getting use to. On the other hand, the larger and wider tires give better grip to the road, so it's a trade off. I can't take corners quite as fast as in the EP3.... as least at the moment. I'm still discovering the car's limits there.

The throttle and clutch are touchier as well. You don't have to hit the gas pedal very hard, otherwise you'll jerk the car back and forth. When you engage and disengage the clutch, the pedal is higher off the floor by a little, which I'm still adjusting to as well.

The engine itself is definitely more powerful, and it shows.... it's much more aggressive sounding. Honda went back to the original VTEC formula that made it so popular with the 6th gen. You definitely notice it kick in at the 5800 rpm engagement window, unlike the EP3 Si, which kicks in at 2200 rpm. So on the EP3, the VTEC rush really isn't there, unless you have a Type R.

The trunk space is twice that of the EP3. I transferred by sub from my old car and I was amazed at how much space was left over. It use to take 1/2 of the trunk in my EP3, now it is only 1/4.

Being that I have a family to feed, I don't think I'll have the money to do any massive performance mods on the car, although I would love to one day, but not right now. At the moment I'm still getting the rush of its performance stock over the EP3. Once that is over, who knows.

1st
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
1 less ep making mine that more rare.

Myriad
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
As far as I know, the car is still at the dealership I traded it in at.

el_puncho
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
1 less ep making mine that more rare.

:high5:

EUB44
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
6250 I really like the JDM fds. Here is my friends fd rr conversion. Just to give u an idea. 6249

jdm jenna
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
The thought of getting rid of my ep after almost 6 years scares me but after 188k miles. I think I'm ready for something new.

Myriad
10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
The thought of getting rid of my ep after almost 6 years scares me but after 188k miles. I think I'm ready for something new.

I know the feeling. It's been a few weeks now and I'm still not use to not having my EP3 anymore.

Myriad
10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
post pictures for sure. Don't forget your more then welcome to always comeback. =)

¶SK¬

I've been having trouble trying to post pictures on here. There are some old pics I posted on here years back and I can't delete them for some reason and I'm at my storage limit on this forum. But I do have pictures posted here: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=3660

Krispy187
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I have been thinking of getting rid of mine. I've had my car for 7 years and has 126k miles on it. It has been a trooper with only oil changes every 3500 miles and a lucas fuel treatment after every oil change. Never have had issues with the car except the minor wear and tear. I have been thinking of trading it in for one of the following: MS3, FRS, Genesis Coupe, or Evo. The only thing from stopping me is does them car payments. it feels so good not to have one.

ninebreaker8
10-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Jealous of the car you got! It'd sure be a dream to own both SI's.

ryboto
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I know it's just preference, but I actually find the Sedans to be hideous. Iv'e thought about getting one of the new hatch's popping up, but compared to the cost of an engine swap, they don't make sense. EP3 styling still makes me do a double take, can't say the same for the newer civics, or anything other than an A%/S5.

gtimportfanatic
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
if i were to get a honda aside from the EP it would be realistically an S2k or an FA5, so i ain't mad, besides the FA5 can prove to be tons of fun but are def alot more fun than the EP3 stock for stock .

kai-wun
11-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Congrats dude. I've only had my EP3 for 3 years but I put on a good 80k (50k mi) on it. I love her but I kinda want to move onto something with more doors and less boy racer. Top of the list is the GTI. WRX and FR-S are two completely different cars (which both are missing one of the criteria) but also spark my interest.

I have been thinking of getting rid of mine. I've had my car for 7 years and has 126k miles on it. It has been a trooper with only oil changes every 3500 miles and a lucas fuel treatment after every oil change. Never have had issues with the car except the minor wear and tear. I have been thinking of trading it in for one of the following: MS3, FRS, Genesis Coupe, or Evo. The only thing from stopping me is does them car payments. it feels so good not to have one.

Exactly! $ is the biggest thing. I'm putting $$ away for a ring, a home, and grown-up stuff. I really should drive my EP3 for at least a couple more years. Or at least until I get a raise. I really need a raise lol.

Besides, my EP only has 160k (100k mi) and haven't really given any issues either. And it's not worth really much, so it will be more worthwhile to continue saving.

But on the other hand, I'll probably need to do tires and brakes among other things soon; maybe I should just trade her in? They're clearing out the 2012 GTIs ...