PDA

View Full Version : Flaring the stock fenders - question

Hasbro
10-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Is the inner rear fender spot welded to the outer fender along the flat section of the flare? I want to start my rear flares by pulling the flat section out to follow the fender shape above the flat portion - so the fender will flow out wider. Hope that's clear enough to envision. No flat portion anymore, just a continuous flow from above.

Then I will also use the tucked in 3/4" (the part that usually gets rolled) portion of the fender as a further extension of the flare. This portion will have to be cut in several places to allow it to pull out. This will give the fender a 3/4" lower arc but that's ok as the next set of tires will have a 1" smaller diameter.

Hasbro
10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Come on, somebody knows the answer.

I miss Doug.

black05ep
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I get what your saying.i feel thats like wayy more work than its worth. And even of u do get it to fold out. The work to get it straight,flat,and flush seems crazy time consuming. I like the idea and get what u want to do though.

Hasbro
10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I get what your saying.i feel thats like wayy more work than its worth. And even of u do get it to fold out. The work to get it straight,flat,and flush seems crazy time consuming. I like the idea and get what u want to do though.

Yeah, it would be easy peasy if was just the outer fender.

Drill out spot welds. Adjust outer fender. Re weld inner to outer. More work than it sounds but pretty simple theoretically. I'm not a body guy but I'm sure it's fairly simple.

So, does anyone know where the spot welds are? I could pm SHG_Easy E but figured this is an easy question.

MOOGEN
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, it would be easy peasy if was just the outer fender.

Drill out spot welds. Adjust outer fender. Re weld inner to outer. More work than it sounds but pretty simple theoretically. I'm not a body guy but I'm sure it's fairly simple.

So, does anyone know where the spot welds are? I could pm SHG_Easy E but figured this is an easy question.

I don't believe you will be able to flare out the rear. The pinch weld is approx about 2" from the edge where the fold begins. Even if you could you will run into the rear bumper clip issue. That thing sticks out about 1-1.25" inwards due to the bumper design. I've done that and flared as much as I could and still didn't clear the rear clip.

Hasbro
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't believe you will be able to flare out the rear. The pinch weld is approx about 2" from the edge where the fold begins. Even if you could you will run into the rear bumper clip issue. That thing sticks out about 1-1.25" inwards due to the bumper design. I've done that and flared as much as I could and still didn't clear the rear clip.

Thanks, Moogen. The rear bumper will be custom so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not at home but will check it all out.