PDA

View Full Version : Do and donts of EP3s

tnk
10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
been giving this some thought and would like the veteran members to post opinions

im an average guy that that happens to be a car enthusiast. im not mechanically incline by any means and would like insight.

so far ive picked up to use 5w30 oil and not to mess with the suspension

mitchlikesbikes
10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
do:

-suspension and brakes before go fast mods

don't:

-buy from ebay unless you're getting a good deal on NAME BRAND parts.
-pull interior panels without care. the clips are a bitch and break and then you have rattles like me:(

DA9_GSR
10-08-2012, 08:46 AM
been giving this some thought and would like the veteran members to post opinions

im an average guy that that happens to be a car enthusiast. im not mechanically incline by any means and would like insight.

so far ive picked up to use 5w30 oil and not to mess with the suspension

Susension, wheels and tires are the most common things tuners will do once they've acquired their car.
The suspension on the 7th gen Civic's and RSX's do not like being lowered too much. Anything past an
inch and you'll need to start looking into roll center adjusters and a steering bracket relocation.

Her-Name's-Ally
10-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Do: be catious if you buy a kpro from anyone but hondata

Don't: expect what you wont get from a mod.
e.g 100 hp from a cold air

beechstreet
10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Since you said you are not mechanically inclined about cars: know your limitations. Start with easy stuff like changing your oil/filter, brake pads/rotors, & air filter. If you go with mods, easy ones are short-ram intakes and swapping a bolt-on axle-back muffler. Depending on how comfortable you feel doing those, you can move up to do suspension work and more. Make sure you have a good set of reliable tools. Nothing fancy... just sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. you can always rent specialty tools from places like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa, and so on. Read DIYs on ephatch, clubep3, clubrsx, k-series, and other forums that can give you a good idea if you are prepared for taking on certain tasks. I work at a mechanic shop and we've had a lot of people get cars towed in who were trying to do stuff beyond their ability.

If you do decide to take on a big job, give yourself more time than you think you will need (if the job calls for 8 hours, give yourself a day or two). You never know what problems you may come across or if other outside issues will occur that interfere with your time. Never a good feeling when you are stuck halfway through a project and you need to be at work in 2 hours. Plan ahead and have a buddy around with a car that can give you a lift to the parts store/work/whatever. If you already have a second car at your home that you have unlimited access to, it just makes life easier.

Just my 2 cents!

cow
10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Just my 2 cents!Give yourself some credit. That was at least $1 of very good information & advice.

tnk
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
to be honest, i think im done with suspension. not touching it anymore. basic bolts ons if that. i want a reliable daily that you dont see everyday that has the 92-95 hatch feel with ps, pw, pl, cc, and ac

all the eps that are FS are to far but ima still look

dj addicted
10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
do: enjoy your car for what it is

don't: mod just because you feel the need to. Too many people say "car looks good, but slam that shit". If you enjoy the car in stock form, leave it stock.

Danielsle
10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Do:
Drive the car and get comfortable with it first. If you plan on swapping or charging it, upgrade your suspension and brakes. No one likes to go fast and not have the ability to handle the car well first. Know your limitations to what your car can do and what you as a driver can do. Knock off parts work depending on what you get. But read up on how well yet work and how well they keep up as well. Brand name parts are better, because they're well known and better quality. Upgrade your car to your liking, but don't cut corners. Keep up maintenance as much as possible and as far as interior goes, our dash and door panels are very sensitive so scratches cut deep and easily. There's many DIYs and how to's for almost everything on the forum so keep researching. I'd say overall be patient on when you buy parts.

Don't: Do anything stupid.

el_puncho
10-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Do: Wave at other owners. :wave:
Dont: Swap a B16 into this chassis...

gribly
10-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Previously coming from Mazdas (while another family member had what is now my EP for 10 years - and I borrowed it more than once, lol) I can honestly say that even though we don't have the more aggressive k20a2 or anything like that, the EP3 Si needs better brakes, even if that is the only performance modification you ever do. It's not that I almost crashed my car or anything, but the stock brakes just don't seem to do it even on stock size dunlops and I feel it's really holding the whole car back. I also have read that the midpipe is far more restrictive than the stock axle back muffler, so keep the stock axleback and change everything between that and the head for the most bang for your buck (especially if tickets count in the cost factor). Hondata airbox mod is well worth your time, too. Also - change the freaking cabin filter!!

LouisianaEP3
10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Do: Wave at other Louisiana EP's
Don't: Rev at random people

cow
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Do: Wave at other Louisiana EP'sAll four left.

:mfrown:

lemonhead228
10-09-2012, 11:35 AM
to be honest, i think im done with suspension. not touching it anymore. basic bolts ons if that. i want a reliable daily that you dont see everyday that has the 92-95 hatch feel with ps, pw, pl, cc, and ac

If you want reliable just leave I stock bro. It can hit over 200k no problem if you take care of it.

tinman5
10-26-2012, 12:00 PM
All four left.

:mfrown:

I don't know why I found that so funny...

Do be consistent with maintenance. You don't have to be fancy about it and import oil cause its from Japan, just be consistent.
Do be vigilant and clean. If you are anything like me and do substantial work to/on your car, be aware of your mods. Clean and inspect upgrades regularly. Inspect for signs of failure or fatigue.

Don't look in the kitchen of your favorite restaurant.
Don't forget your cup of coffee on the roof when you get distracted.

Zatarra
11-09-2012, 06:07 PM

tnk - I'm in the exact same position! I'm done lowering my car or doing suspension mods, I like stock again! :P

And all the EP's are too far from me lol

Draw7Seven
11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
tnk - I'm in the exact same position! I'm done lowering my car or doing suspension mods, I like stock again! :P

And all the EP's are too far from me lol

I'll let you know if I see any in Macon. There's a white one at a Warner Robins dealership with the eBay "m-style" lip and a carbon hood. Chances are it's been ragged on given those mods but it's probably cheap.

Zatarra
11-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I'll let you know if I see any in Macon. There's a white one at a Warner Robins dealership with the eBay "m-style" lip and a carbon hood. Chances are it's been ragged on given those mods but it's probably cheap.

Thx bro! I appreciate it! Yea, I've looked high and low for one around Lawrenceville and not a thing.. There is one on Craigslist but the person has never responded to email - probably already sold :/

dble0
11-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Draw7seven... Pm me when you get a chance, I can never get the mobile version of the site to let me start new PMs.

Her-Name's-Ally
11-10-2012, 12:25 PM
DONT
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?71201-slammed-!

not baggen los

ImportCustomx
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
DO: Read the sticky's in each section...they are full of information.
DO: Feel free to ask questions..we all love to help BUT make sure you search first.
DO: Toss new wheels/tires and suspension but research, research research.

What are you goals with the car? a fun Daily driver? A streetable/ weekend warrior? Or maybe just something fast for the street? you can leave your car factory and still drive a slow car fast. I used to drive a 90hp 1989 Honda CRX, most enjoyable car i have owned. And i have owned some nice cars. It was fun, and simple. Best of all..i built it how i wanted it, useing parts i wanted and i did it all myself.

I will definetly say, Buy the correct tools, 6 sided metric sockets (8,10,12,14,17,19,22) spark plug socket, extensions, breaker bar, other odds and ends, but having a decent starting point of tools will make any job easy.

Being mechanically inclined doesnt matter, having the willingness to learn and the urge to keep going...thats how youll get that inclination.

DO: Get the Honda Service Manual...and no i do not know where to get one ;) aka go look on google...

Dont: Slam your car or make uneducated mods. Make sure what your doing will acheive your end result!

THEN

post pics up and welcome!