PDA

View Full Version : Intake air temp question

bizzle
10-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Any of you N/A guys have a gauge to read your intake air temp? I am noticing serious heatsoak on mine where the temp shoots to 130 degrees at time when its 60 fucking degrees outside. Is this normal? What effect does this have on timing? I know some cars will retard the timing with high intake temps.

tlikethedrink
10-08-2012, 07:40 AM
what kind of intake? short ram ? ive noticed about 30-40 degrees over ambient on my AEM V2, when driving hard. and i have a rubberized coating and foil wrap over the smaller diam... didnt have kpro before i coated it or anything so im not sure how much it helped if at all.

bizzle
10-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Stock air box with the snorkel missing. I am trying to figure out if the lack of snorkel is part of the problem. Basically, I am fine if I get right on the highway, the sensor will read about 20-30 over ambient, so about 90 on a day like today, which is fine. But if I sit in traffic, it'll shoot to 130 and will take 20 miles of high way driving to get back down to 90.

tlikethedrink
10-08-2012, 08:13 AM
must be getting air straight from the radiator fans... try using some kind of duct. AUTOZONE has that spectre brand or whatever and its a 3 inch flexible hose with a "bracket" so you can mount the front of the hose to a flat surface. or.... go the cheapo route and RV hose works. you can get that and clamps for a few bucks. ive heard of people routing the hoses to the grill/ bumper/foglight. i would run it somewhere cooler safe and open....

black05ep
10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I used the mentioned spectre duct and ran it to my old foglight housing. Works great. Wish i knew how much cooler it runs through.

bizzle
10-10-2012, 04:33 AM
I used the mentioned spectre duct and ran it to my old foglight housing. Works great. Wish i knew how much cooler it runs through.

Do you have a part number? I looked around and couldn't find it, just Dorman replacements for stock airbox pieces.

black05ep
10-10-2012, 06:39 AM
They have it at advance auto in the intake section i dont have a number but it has been posted before.

tlikethedrink
10-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Just go to autozone look I the section where they have the intakes and gauges and stuff.