PDA

View Full Version : Buying used brakes [calipers/kits] pros/cons

bung
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi guys,

I am very new to the car modifying scene and have only one local enthusiast friend whos helping me. He doesn't like the idea of buying used Brembos, but the $3000k it would cost me for a brand new kit up here in canukistan is a bit steep for me right now and I wanted to ask yall as well.

I have the freedom to look at used of course and I've found some used front and rear brembo calipers for sale, supposedly with about 50,000km. I clearly would buy some new rotors/pads, and I don't mind doing any piston re-greasing or whatever brembo maintenance requires, but do you all have any ideas of things to look out for buying used calipers? rubbing on rims? anything else? I just don't have the sense yet of what needs to be new and what can be used (if anything).

Thanks much

poeticfinesse21
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Look into getting a wilwood 4-piston big brake kit, they go for about $620 new here in the states. I know corsport carries the kit but I don't know about shipping to canada. Unless you're building a straight up race car it's really not necessary to upgrade the rear calipers, some stainless steel brake lines and better pads should be enough.

Her-Name's-Ally
10-15-2012, 06:15 AM
usually people have to run spacers with the brembos...from what I've seen on here and CEP3.

bung
10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
yea ive noticed that as well for most people with 17"s, up to even 12mm i think ive seen. I dont have restrictions for fitting over OEM or anything, probly just buy larger winter rims as well. Not many people with 18s eh? wouldnt think you'd need spacers on 18s.

Her-Name's-Ally
10-15-2012, 09:05 AM
hardly anyone, 18s are too large IMO looks poorly proportioned.. Ide say just buy some slotted rotors and some hawk hp pads and you will be set. Unless youre a super competitive auto xer or drive very aggressivley they should be fine. Tires it more important, if you're worried invest in good tired and spend $200 on rotors and pads

Zzyzx
10-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Pro: cheaper

Con: Plan on rebuilding them prior to installing. (new piston seals ect.) You are betting your life on what someone says the condition & mileage of the calipers are after all...

otherwise, just look for obvious damage & wear.

sleepy ep3
10-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Brembos are nice for OEM stuff. Wilwoods are better for stopping and unsprung weight savings. I love my Wilwoods.

poeticfinesse21
10-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Wilwoods are better for stopping and unsprung weight savings. I love my Wilwoods.

^This, wilwoods are around 7 lbs lighter than our OEM brakes on each side and this makes a bigger difference than most people think.

bung
10-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Brembos are nice for OEM stuff. Wilwoods are better for stopping and unsprung weight savings. I love my Wilwoods.

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback, just want to make sure I've got things straight... so when you say Wilwoods are better for stopping, from what I've read there are two things that help stopping: brake pads and better tires, could you clarify a bit more on what you meant? And from what I understand, the reason people go with large brembos and the like is to help dissipate heat doing track days to keep the brakes going for longer. Sound about right?

Zzyzx
10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
from what I've read there are two things that help stopping: brake pads and better tires, could you clarify a bit more on what you meant? And from what I understand, the reason people go with large brembos and the like is to help dissipate heat doing track days to keep the brakes going for longer. Sound about right?

Yep, that's about it.

powdbyrice
10-16-2012, 10:08 PM
why not an rsx type-s 5 lug upgrade?

poeticfinesse21
10-17-2012, 12:21 AM
...the reason people go with large brembos and the like is to help dissipate heat doing track days to keep the brakes going for longer. Sound about right?

This is true but remember this depends on the size of your rotor. Larger rotor = more area for the heat to dissipate. On that note, the rotors that come with the DC5-R brembos are around 11.75" diameter, the wilwood rotors are 12.19".

why not an rsx type-s 5 lug upgrade?

In my opinion it's kind of pointless for 02-03 4-luggers to go through all that trouble and money when we have the wilwood kit available to us. I could care less about being 5-lug. Now if you're 04-05 that came 5-lug stock, then all you need is RSX-S front calipers and rotors so it would be a cheaper alternative.

Her-Name's-Ally
10-17-2012, 05:50 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-tests/how-to-test-vehicle-stopping-distance1.htm
this is what I ment..