PDA

View Full Version : Killer vtec parts build help.

Powers
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Working on getting some killer vtec parts together. I have a2 cams. I know I need a3 exhaust rockers and am about to order them. But the a2 cams do not have a vtc gear on them so I need help finding one of those. Also for the valve springs and retainers....how many springs and retainers do I order 8 intake springs 8 exhaust springs 16 retainers and 16 spring seats correct? Also s2k ones are good right? I am ordering the springs and retainers of hondapartsnow.com. What part number is the VTC gear for the A2 cams?

Blah1219
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
just go find a set of a2/z1 or k20a valve set off of K20a.org. You won't need f22c valvetrain. If you plan on taking her to 9k, you better do something with those a3 rods.

Remember you'll have to have those rockers machined so they will align up right with those cams.

Also just reuse your cam gears off the a3 ones. They are all RBC cam gears except the k24a2 RBBs.

Powers
10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I can reuse the vtc gear aswell? And is there any other exhaust rocker I could use that wouldnt need to be machined?

Blah1219
10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
I can reuse the vtc gear aswell? And is there any other exhaust rocker I could use that wouldnt need to be machined?

Yeah they are all RBC vtc gears. You can use the old style rockers. I haven't seen many of them, but they are weakers than the new style rockers.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/burningxslowly5/IMAG0606.jpg

Those are the new style rockers that I'm going to be using.

There's a couple of people selling some on k20a.org that are already machined.

tlikethedrink
10-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah they are all RBC vtc gears. You can use the old style rockers. I haven't seen many of them, but they are weakers than the new style rockers.

Link : )

I just picked up my a2 cams yesterday! Looking to complete my build up too.
Op- I've heard of a lot of vtec killer set ups running stock valve springs as long as you keep your revs down ( >8k )

Powers
10-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Sweet! Thanks man!

Yomimito
10-19-2012, 05:54 PM
not that hard machining the rockers, I modified mine with a dremel.
I recommend replacing the stock valve spring with A2 spring, I have seen several pictures of bent valves A3's with reflashed ecu by just taking the 7700 rpm with A3 cams.

I wonder if the RBC Mani would produce decent gains with this setup?

Blah1219
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
not that hard machining the rockers, I modified mine with a dremel.
I recommend replacing the stock valve spring with A2 spring, I have seen several pictures of bent valves A3's with reflashed ecu by just taking the 7700 rpm with A3 cams.

I wonder if the RBC Mani would produce decent gains with this setup?

Are you going turbo. Rbc is designed for a high reving motor. With that shitty a3 head and low rpms it would just be a waste.

I stuck with 7500 rpms for my build. The a1 out flows the a2 till the mid 7ks. The prc is also great for mid range gains.

wcmbrk
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Just picked up my car with this build in it (K24a1 head with s2k valvetrain/supertech valves/port/polish, z1 cams/ rdx injectors/k20a3 block/prc manifold) need any help lemme know and I can chime in what my mechanic/tuner did...thing rips!

tlikethedrink
11-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Just picked up my car with this build in it (K24a1 head with s2k valvetrain/supertech valves/port/polish, z1 cams/ rdx injectors/k20a3 block/prc manifold) need any help lemme know and I can chime in what my mechanic/tuner did...thing rips!

Sounds mean! Dyno of this setup? Which rockers are you running?

I've been thinking of holding out for a2 rockers for a more street friendly set up- but a local guy just offered me a3 exhaust rockers fairly priced.

wcmbrk
11-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Used a3 rockers from my head and shaved em a bit because the z1 cams were a tight fit. Dynoed at 187 with crush bent exhaust and shorty comptech hdr...saving for a good race hdr...oh and with s2k valvetrain safe to 8600.