PDA

View Full Version : Changing my timing belt

dble0
10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I am about to get my timing belt changed... What mods or maintainance should I get done at the same time to get the most bang for my buck?

poeticfinesse21
10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
EP3 doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain and you should also change the water pump while you're in there and do a valve adjustment.

Blah1219
10-18-2012, 06:18 PM
timing chain, oil pump chain, timing chain tensioner, z3 upper chain guide

k20a2 oil pump, a2 baffle, and a bolt and washer to plug a oil hole.

Inspect the crank pulley, water pump, cam galling, and crank play.

This is the time to consider doing a killer vtec, or a k20a2 rocker assembly swap. If you decide to do one of those be sure to have kpro.

dble0
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Swore the dealership said belt. Anyways, someone want to explain the vtec killer and benefits to me please.

Blah1219
10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Swore the dealership said belt. Anyways, someone want to explain the vtec killer and benefits to me please.

They are dumbasses. They work there because they want a hybrid with their employee discount.

Vtec killer; no vtec so you'll be running a big lobe from zero to redline. Not you get the concept, that means you'll be running fuel from 0 to redline. That means you'll have worse mpg than usual. But with the k20a3 depending on the mods, you'll see 193-197 whp.

differentK
10-19-2012, 07:43 AM
EP3 doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain and you should also change the water pump while you're in there and do a valve adjustment.

why change the water pump?

poeticfinesse21
10-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Since he's doing the timing chain I figured he might as well do the water pump too, not necessary though.

lbk02si
10-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Since he's doing the timing chain I figured he might as well do the water pump too, not necessary though.

haha, you obviously haven't seen the "water pump" for our cars! its a freakin stupid little wheel (think paddle wheel) attached to a pulley driven by the belt. there's not much too it, and i can't ever see how one could go out, unless the shaft seized up or something.

differentK
10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
haha, you obviously haven't seen the "water pump" for our cars! its a freakin stupid little wheel (think paddle wheel) attached to a pulley driven by the belt. there's not much too it, and i can't ever see how one could go out, unless the shaft seized up or something.

exact reason why i asked. i think he is confusing it with the B series. there is no reason to change your external water pump unless it shits the bed.

Blah1219
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM

:yeahthat:

dble0
10-19-2012, 01:30 PM
So I called the dealership to find out how much it was to do just the timing chain, just to get a price. Now they are telling me that because it is a chain it is maintainance free and that they don't know why someone there would have ever told me it was "time" to replace it. Retards. But now that we are on the subject.... Couldn't I swap to the a2 rocker assembly, get a little more hp and keep some of my mpgs? And if I do do I have to have a kpro?

Supaduck
10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
you sure they didnt tell you to change the serpentine belt?

dble0
10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
you sure they didnt tell you to change the serpentine belt?

The words used by them was timing. We are talking about the dealership..... Really stupid question, but I am tired if going around in circles. What maintainance should I have done between 100k and 130k(where I am now). I am to the point I don't trust the dealership and I am going to start doing whatever I am capable of doing myself. I have dine everything the dealership has told me to up until the last 10k or so, I just want To make sure I am not missing anything.

Supaduck
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
hm. im pretty sure it could've been the serpentine belt. they get worn down all the time and are super easy to replace yourself. you can check it out yourself to see if it is starting to crack along the side with the teeth