PDA

View Full Version : Someone offered to trade their '05 DC5 Type-S for my EP3...but unsure

ellman605
10-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Alright. I love my EP3, but I had someone offer me their '05 DC5 Type-S for my EP3. Straight trade. My EP3 is 117k, some clear coat peeling off but that's it. His DC5 is 140k, has the k20z1...and I'd normally jump on it, but here's the kicker. My title is clean, his is a Texas Rebuilt-Salvage title. He says, and carfax reports, it's due to hail damage. Car is clean aside from the hood now. He said the rear glass needed replaced and it got expensive. I'm torn. The car is beautiful and such a good trade under normal circumstances. Now, I'd never trade the car again. That'd be my end point until the car dies and I wouldn't trade it into a dealer, so salvage isn't gonna worry me on that aspect. But what does everyone think? I know this is EPHATCH but I'd like some serious input. I'm kinda torn.

Pic of car below

el_puncho
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
It all depends on whats in your hatchy. Plus why does he want to trade to begin with? Theres always some things that go unsaid and once you uncover them, its too late.

ellman605
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
He wants to trade because he's like me - always wants something else. I see something else (in this cause, a nice black DC5) and want it. Never had one. He's never had an EP3 and said he wants it. My hatchy is stock aside from a CAI. It's not a flood loss, all it is is the hail damage. And I've had that with this car. It had front end issues when I got it. Gotten them fixed and now I'm just falling in love with this DC5. Gonna check it out tomorrow night I think and see how it goes.

willy_akino
10-19-2012, 10:48 PM
id keep it.

soquel1
10-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Keep your car.

doubledouble
10-20-2012, 12:40 PM
NO. You car with less miles for his that is salvage with more miles and problems. Who knows what his driving habits are. He couldn't redline the piss out of that motor the majority of it's life and it's just waiting to shit the bed. Was the z1 professionally installed? Lot's of variables.

I love the ep3 over the dc5 everyday of the week. I use my hatch on the regular hauling randoms + it's nice to have a car you don't see on every street corner.

my .02

Her-Name's-Ally
10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
agree with all of the above. Its almost never ok to trust a trade specially when you're getting what appears to be something more expensive or on the better end of a deal. Keep the ep3 not only because its awesome but cause it would probably be best for you in the long run

HFPcivicSI
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Keep it, and save your money for the type-s you've always wanted. Get exactly what you want. Lower mileage (I would only buy an a-spec), ect.

I keep my eyes peeled, but they dont pop up too often (the a-specs).

el_puncho
10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Keep it, and save your money for the type-s you've always wanted. Get exactly what you want. Lower mileage (I would only buy an a-spec), ect.

I keep my eyes peeled, but they dont pop up too often (the a-specs).

Ditto. or RWD :-)

ellman605
10-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the input all. I called it off. Got my front end vibration down and I'm happy now. I think I'm gonna work on getting a jrsc on there and call it a day. Then, I'm gonna buy a cheapo Del Sol to mess with and make sure my ep3 stays good as a daily.

gribly
10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Good call. There is a lot of stuff about the DC5 that you won't like if you really like your EP. They feel less sporty and more grown up, the gauges are funny looking, and they aren't as useful if you ever have passengers or need to move something. There is a base model at my school, and he's got a few mods like a loud CAI and such, and it is so slow compared to my car (stock '02). Hard to believe it's got the same motor. I know it's not the most relevant comment since the Type-S has a different motor.

mitchlikesbikes
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Was the z1 professionally installed?

professionally installed by the factory..

McLovin
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I wish someone Would trade there dc5 for my EP I always wanted one. But only if its a clean title

sleepy ep3
10-23-2012, 08:42 PM
professionally installed by the factory..

Lol.

el_puncho
10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
The cool thing about the DC5 is the A2/Z1 engine. As far as looks go the EP takes the cake for sure. Good choice keepin it man.