PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm paranoid.

elroygun
01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Is it possible that the car that I test drive is waaay different from the car that I bought? I test drove a black Si from one dealership, but ended up buying a silver one from another. From what I can remember, the black would just rev like a bastard...I mean the car salesman drove it off the lot screeching the tires. Then when I took over, it just seemed like as soon as I hit the gas pedal, the thing wanted to just go. It seemed like it would rev just by looking at it. It was most definitely stock and only had 54 miles on it.

I've had my silver one for almost two months now...I have 1800 miles, and it doesn't seem as fast as the first time I test drove an Si. I was flooring it today...and didn't even feel any kind of push. I think I did a good job breaking it in...I drove it very easy for the first 800 miles. Is this going to get better? I'm tempted to take the engine cover off and make sure they didn't accidentally stick a Civic EX engine in there.

I'm also tempted to dyno my car and see what it's really outputting. Does anyone else have the same thoughts?

TrippZ
01-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Alot of people have reported that after a few thousand miles there's a MAJOR difference. As if the car just lets loose. Anyway, if you're so paranoid, dyno it. Also, stick some mods on there and you'll be l337 like wh04

BlasTech
01-11-2003, 12:37 PM
You could try checking the throttle cable slack:
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3171

cbecker333
01-11-2003, 12:53 PM
There is a big difference, in terms of what you notice, between sitting shotgun and being in the driver seat. When you are in control of the car, the power is percieved as less substantial because you are expecting it - and perhaps even bracing yourself for it. Driving technique could also have something to do with it - I find it hard to get good torque below 3,000 rpm....so I shift at 3700 and therez alwayz plenty 'o power.

I remember thinking that my new si seemed slower than the one I first was in. The salesman drove it and just blew me away. Now I've noticed that when a skilled driver is driving my car and I sit shotgun, there appears to be more power. Its an illusion tho....

StrangeShadow
01-11-2003, 11:17 PM
There is a big difference, in terms of what you notice, between sitting shotgun and being in the driver seat. When you are in control of the car, the power is percieved as less substantial because you are expecting it -

exactly that's why whenever other ppl ride in your car they fly right and left when you turn or forward and back when you shift but you don't feel a thing.

carbonSI
01-12-2003, 09:02 AM
"exactly that's why whenever other ppl ride in your car they fly right and left when you turn or forward and back when you shift but you don't feel a thing."

haha, why does that happen? get rid of your oem seats? idont notice that too much in my car :D just playin.. but yea! when i got in shotgun for my test drive, it seemed wayy quicker, and the dude chirped 2nd AND third, after he had taken me and my cousin through the twisties... at that point... i was sold, and knew it :D but he cought 2nd and 3rd riding 3 deep... when im riding with 2 passengers in my car, i notice ALOT of difference, how he cought those 2 gears? i have no clue.. i have no problem catching 2nd, buuut it seems like 3rd is impossible... anyways, to add to what yall were sayin, it did seem alot faster when they (salesmen) drive it... and still.. not a complaint :D -mike

Dunrick
01-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by carbonSI
"exactly that's why whenever other ppl ride in your car they fly right and left when you turn or forward and back when you shift but you don't feel a thing."

haha, why does that happen? get rid of your oem seats? idont notice that too much in my car :D just playin.. but yea! when i got in shotgun for my test drive, it seemed wayy quicker, and the dude chirped 2nd AND third, after he had taken me and my cousin through the twisties... at that point... i was sold, and knew it :D but he cought 2nd and 3rd riding 3 deep... when im riding with 2 passengers in my car, i notice ALOT of difference, how he cought those 2 gears? i have no clue.. i have no problem catching 2nd, buuut it seems like 3rd is impossible... anyways, to add to what yall were sayin, it did seem alot faster when they (salesmen) drive it... and still.. not a complaint :D -mike

I can chirp third here in WA when its wet on the road - unfortunately my salesman drove it like a wuss. I had to find out myself :( I basically bought this car w/o a test drive...I drove it like a wuss, cause my salesman was too - I probably only got to like 5k backto topic - Sometimes my car does feel like its not all that fast...To the passengers it is though, its weird. Lately i've been trying to just really relax when i step on the gas, to try to experience it the passenger way, sometimes you can feel it. When I drove my buddy's rsx-s it didn't really feel much faster, cause I was expecting it to go - he said it just took off though....who knows - I want somebdoy that can really drive take off in my car while I'm riding shotgun, cause I've never really felt my car take off :'(

gpt
01-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I've had the same experience, I now practise my shifting by trying to keep my wifes head from moving - a perfect shift and her head will not go forwards and backwards!

I also think it has to do with you getting used to the car - especially if you come from a less powerful car. I would suggest you drive a slower car for a while then get back in your car and it will feel fast again!

elroygun
01-12-2003, 08:20 PM
I originally posted this thread and I agree with what all of you have been saying.

My friends and I went out this weekend and I ended up driving a friend's saturn, and my car does feel faster now. I do need to tighten up my throttle cable though, it feels really sluggish.

As far as shifting, my girlfriend wants to give me the water test...where a cup of water sits on the dash and you're not supposed to spill any while driving. I would fail that miserably, I suck at shifting from 1st to 2nd.

StrangeShadow
01-12-2003, 08:33 PM
lol it always goes fine for me alone, but when other ppl get in the car their heads always go back and forth, :rolleyes: I ned to work on that some more.

LazyAzzAzian
01-13-2003, 01:37 AM
haha thats so funny, i was talking to my girl about the exact same thing last week. i thought my driving sucked because i would always see her head nodding yes everytime i shifted (my first manual car). i asked her what she thought of my driving and she said it was good and she didnt even notice her head nodding......then she got mad at me cause after i brought it up, she started to notice...haha

atl-si
01-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by elroygun
I think I'm paranoid.
I think you are!:D ;) LOL!

redlineracing
01-13-2003, 08:49 PM
I can chirp third here in WA when its wet on the road

I've been doing that since I took it off the lot. Those damn stock tires SUCK! I would have thought that honda would have put ALOT better tire on a car that is supposed to be somewhat performance related.

Oh well :'(