PDA

View Full Version : REAL mufflers anyone?

tlikethedrink
11-14-2012, 05:18 PM
heres the deal. i have a shorty header + test pipe + 2.25 exhaust with a obx twin loop. it has a bottle style resonator in it already, but it still too loud for me. because of the pitch, i feel its louder than the N1 style exhaust i had on it before. drone is down on the highway and at idle with the twin loop tho. and i have to say- just before it gets LOUD it sounds sweet.

im looking to replace it with a more traditional style muffler. my paypal is taking forever to transfer money from my bank account because i " have to scan in a utility bill + social security card+ a copy of my id" and being a victim of id theft before, this is a huge no no. im still able to use it, just takes forever. thats fine.
that being said, i would like to buy something i can find "local". originally i had been planning a vibrant super quite resonator plus a stealth street muffler and hoping i end up with something close to IMTHEBRO's set up. im thinking with an extra bottle resonator and smaller diam pipe should make up for the lack of a cat in my set up.

looking into vibrant ive found that their internal construction is simple, its a straight trough design. basically the same as a magnaflow.

and the super quite resonator is identical to the cherry bomb ol skool muffler (just in red lol)

im just scared to drop more money on an exhaust thats gonna sound like shit! i could put that money towards a WS2, but i dont want to spend 500 on a catback thats going to get scraped up and rust out.

is this just the curse people without cats have to live with?

watching more youtube videos than i care to admit, ive pretty much found that chambered mufflers arent the way to go.

ideas or suggestions anyone? any custom set ups?

superchargedk20
11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I love the vibrant sleeper series muffler. Flat black. I've never need pulled over with it. Way quieter than my n1 apex

black05ep
11-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Why not just keep your setup and use an oem muffler or the vibrant stealth.im running dcrh no cat. To sk2 exhaust..its loud but not unbearable and i get no drone did just get a ticket tho so im going to strip the paint from my oem muffler polish it and up the piping to 2.5 from my 2.25 now.

tlikethedrink
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
i didnt want to tamper with my oem exhaust, because i can always go back to stock later.

the 2.25 piping i have is/was a bbp (ebay) n1 style catback. i loved the way it sounded with the stock header/cat on. but the stock axle back doesnt on the fit catback. which is why i opted for the twin loop. i did by a used twin loop. maybe that was the problem. but i dont think so because the videos ive seen that actually rev the car have sounded the same.

again, if it wasnt for my paypal- i would order the vibrant stuff. im trying to see if i can get this done by next wed so i can take them with me to Mexico and have em welded on for dirt cheap! i was actually considering having them weld an all new 2.5 catback set up with whatever i end up buying. they pipe itself should only run me about $60, but it will most likely be press bent. i actually think this may be the best route since they can maybe make it so it sits up higher in the middle and i wont drag it over speed bumps.

whatever i end up doing its going like this: header>tp> 18inch bottle style resonator> 18inch bigger resonator> muffler.

i guess if i go vibrant and have them make a 2 piece system i can always sell it if i dont like it...

going to sell the N1 muffler i have now and twin loop to help fund this new system.

black05ep
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Have them bend your new pipe but getm to weld a flange on to bolt to your oem muffler..thats what ill probly do.

Her-Name's-Ally
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
try and get your hands on a neuspeed exhaust.. so quiet I love it. Running a RH and its still not as loud as a few of my buddies running cat backs with their stock cat. Just hard to find as its not made any more.

tlikethedrink
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
From the vids I've heard- the oem muffler sounds poopy : /

I think I'm going with a vibrant set up. Gf just offered me a early Xmas present being the exhaust. I'm going to sell the twin loop and n1 too. That'll help or 0 out the labor cost.

urthworm
11-14-2012, 09:23 PM
i have a 3 inch vibrant ultra quiet res with a vibrant oval style muff/buddy club race header and its fucking loud and sound like shit.. so i put my mugen twinloop with buddy club race header back on. My twinloop sounds better then any exhaust ive ever heard on a honda. I live in ur area and if you want to hear my twinloop in person hit me up. I also have a vibrant 2.5 inch on my eg with a b16.. it sounds ok but nothing like the twinloop.

lemonhead228
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Look into hushpower!! Good quality and sounds great! Very quiet, even when you get on it.

303EP
11-14-2012, 11:54 PM
i have a 3 inch vibrant ultra quiet res with a vibrant oval style muff/buddy club race header and its fucking loud and sound like shit.. so i put my mugen twinloop with buddy club race header back on. My twinloop sounds better then any exhaust ive ever heard on a honda. I live in ur area and if you want to hear my twinloop in person hit me up. I also have a vibrant 2.5 inch on my eg with a b16.. it sounds ok but nothing like the twinloop.

Do you have a video of the sound?

urthworm
11-15-2012, 12:23 AM
ive been meaning to get some video/audio but that never does it any justice. The 3inch sounded pretty good on the open road, but once in traffic or around anything that the sound would bounce off of it sounded like a ricer pos.. however the twinloop ALWAYS sounded good.. you could hear the engine over the exhaust.

differentK
11-15-2012, 07:52 AM
i like my vibrant stealth- granted im a firm believer that loud pipes saves lives but regardless the stealth sounds soo mean. i have mine paired with a straight pipe 2.5in exhaust with PLM race header and it will make your ears bleed. custom 3in from the motor back is in the works though....

tlikethedrink
11-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I may still have your number from awhile back.
The mugen twin loop is so out of my budget tho.

3inch exhaust on any NA is going to be LOUD lol.

I'm looking into hush powers and dbx mufflers. Or even running two magnaflows like the accord guys lol. What ever it is I'm pulling triggers today so I can have it here by next Wednesday.

tlikethedrink
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Loud pipes do save lives! I have a badass full stainless/carbon exhaust on mine : )

lemonhead228
11-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I may still have your number from awhile back.
The mugen twin loop is so out of my budget tho.

3inch exhaust on any NA is going to be LOUD lol.

I'm looking into hush powers and dbx mufflers. Or even running two magnaflows like the accord guys lol. What ever it is I'm pulling triggers today so I can have it here by next Wednesday.

hush power FTW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VARn6EP_-1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAN-124txQ

whatsvtec
11-16-2012, 01:14 AM
ditch the header and TP, Get a true race header. I'm running a BCRH>RSXS mid>SSR dolpin, it's quiet, stealthy, and gives great low and mid range gains.
I like driving my daily more than my weekend car because of the low end tq

A good flow all the way is important to getting a nice even toned sound. With the Reso setup you're planning, and 2.5" piping, it should be pretty quiet too still.

tlikethedrink
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
hush power FTW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VARn6EP_-1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAN-124txQ

this set up sounds good! what else does it have? or is this just a muffler welded on the stock axleback?

big thanks to Urthworm for swinging by to let me hear his set up. For anyone who doesnt know, his car is sick!

i had been traveling for work lately and hadnt had a chance to fix my paypal or order the vibrant stuff-

im going to have to 2day what ever i order if its online to have it by thanksgiving weekend so i can take it down south to have it welded up.

klik
11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
i have a rsx type s full catback exhaust and love the little deep tone of it. Just slap a race header and be done with it.

gtimportfanatic
12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
OBX does make a more quiet resonator u can use to replace the regular one with... this would be matching to the ones found on a v6 accord or something of that matter where its a tad smaller than the oem one. or u can get a summit racing glasspack, i run just this as a muffler with a straight thru exhaust and i get no drone and no attention from the cops