PDA

View Full Version : Hawk HP + pads sparking when hot.

cyllarus
11-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Check out my most recent track event:

http://youtu.be/QDua1_zunW4

This is the first aggressive driving event I've done since i swapped the BBK to the hawp HP+ pads.
(Rotora FC4 BBK, 295MM slotted / x drilled disc )

Note the sparking once the pads are hot, and im braking heavy.

Normal for semi-race pads?

Should I be concerned about rotor wear?

lemonhead228
11-23-2012, 11:12 PM
yea you should.. hp+ are very aggressive pads. I think they are race pads, not semi-race..

i got my set of brand new rotors (oem) and new hp+ pads and install them at the same time and my rotors was shot within 6 months.

next time ima get the hps since they are rotor friendly.

ungrade your suspension!! lol

cyllarus
11-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Great... another mess of $ i have to spend.

Truthfully, I'm kinda glad I have to switch them.. When cold the pads have no bite, makes driving in city traffic un-nerving.

Maybe i will hold on to them for track days, and use hps for street driving.

EDU
11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Damn, cool video!
and agreed in upgrading your suspension whenever you get a chance.

Bwek
11-26-2012, 08:02 AM
nothing wrogn with his suspension its doing its job looks like a rough parking lot lol

Sparks are Normal for hp+ pads I had a set on my Na 240whp Prelude and it looked like someone was taking a grinder to the rotors when I used the brakes

lemonhead228
11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
haha yea of course the stock suspension is doing its job. but i can guaratee his time would be A LOT better and he would enjoy the car more if he upgrades.

he has the power down, breaks down but whats the point of all that with stock shocks and drop springs? i can imagine with all that body roll with that speed going through the corners..

cyllarus
11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
lol I love that my thread on my brakes turns into a debate on my suspension...

truly i think my lack of camber is hurting me most, its a dd so i really don't want to deal with the rough drive of aggressive dampening rates

lemonhead228
11-30-2012, 10:24 PM
hahah my bad man lol

but you understand what I'm trying to say. you don't have to get anything crazy. a-spec, jdm dc5r, or mugen ss would be great for DD and track.

what camber you running?

cyllarus
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Lol yea, i was completely laughing about it. I'm looking into suspension upgrades now.

Based on what im reading i think step 1 will be to replace the 2 sways, and the front LCA bushings and see what that feels like.

Camber is set at factory, even though im lowered ~3 inches, probably will have the shop mark my camber bolts for 1, and 3*, so i can adjust myself before track days.

As far as dampening rates, is the a spec suspension more aggesively dampened than the ep 3 one? I actually like the ride height on the megan springs so would like to stay with those until i go full coil overs, which is a while away.

lemonhead228
12-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Being lowered 3 inch is throwing the handling off big time. Anything over 2 inch the suspesion has no room to travel IIRC. Your shocks are prolly gonna be shot fairly quick.

I haven't rode with the aspec but from what i read, a lot of people are happy with them. It's a little stiffer than stock which is good for handling and it drops it a little more too

rd02SiR
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
my buddy put some Wilwood BBK on his CRX, cant remember what pads, but when he slammed on the brakes, tonnes of sparks were flying. Was pretty cool to watch!

cyllarus
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Forgive my Ignorance, but what exactly is A-spec?

Is that the 50-06 RSX? or just the RSx-S in general.

I know im going to have to swap my endlinks to run A-Spec.

As far as the ride height.. At rest my LCAs are JUST a touch angled down, I'm sure they are angled up under heavy load.

One step at a time, going to upgrade the sways and bushing, which are pretty cheap to do, then save for coil overs with adjustable ride height.

lemonhead228
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
think of aspec is for acura as hfp is for honda. its the sporty version.

27rocks
12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Thats normal as far as the sparks. You need to get some wider tires on there man. 205's are even small on smaller cars like the Eg and Ef's. Your car will turn so much better with something wider on there.

Deadphishy
12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
FYI, Brembo uses hawk Pads. Not to stop, they are so ruff on rotors that Brembo uses hawk pads to clean off brake pad material that is unevenly bedded into the rotor. Instead of turning the rotor you just pop in some hawk pads and do a few stops. Rotors are clean as new, and you can re-bed your pads.