PDA

View Full Version : Suspension questions.... Trying to research

dble0
11-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I will whole heartedly admit I am a noob, so bare with me. I have a pretty stock EP and I am trying to make my wish list for car upgrades.

First question: I keep hearing talk about pillow ball mounts versus some other alternative mount. What is the difference between the two, why would I want one or the other and what are the main benefits of each.

Second question: what exactly is the benefit of adjustable dampners? Why would I potentially want adjustable versus non adjustable.

Third question: does an electronically adjustable coil over exist, one in which you can adjust the height electronically and will it fit on an EP3?

Once again I apologize for my noobness. But we all must start somewhere.

dble0
12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Bump

Her-Name's-Ally
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
to answer the 2nd question having adjustable dampening is yolked for multiple reasons.
1st you can adjust the stiffness according to ride height. the lower you are the stiffer you want to be cause there less upward travel. if you're higher you can be softer so you dont feel every bump in the road. if you go you the track theres not pot holes every where so you can stay nice and stiff. Having the option is awesome.

3rd question
electronic ride height I think would be like air bags. dont know too much about it but people dont do it for a reason. on your wishlist should be a nice set of coilovers even if you dont plan to track its very comfortable and reliable.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
and to my knowledge the pillowball mounts help with like steering responsivenss.

mitchlikesbikes
12-01-2012, 12:57 PM
tein produces electronically adjustable coils but the adjustment is for the dampening (stiffness) not ride height.

dble0
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I have seen electronic ride height adjustment kits for BMW that weren't airbags. Just wondering if they make a similar kit that will fit an EP.

Would having the ability to make my dampeners stiffer mean that when I am hauling ass over a "lumpy" road, that my rear tires wouldn't bounce and slide as much?

Would I honestly see the benefit of electronic dampeners versus standard adjustable ones?

Her-Name's-Ally
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
They dont make anything like that for the ep. unless its custom...

as far as bumpy roads theres a lot of variables that play into the situation. mainly what coilovers you have is the factor
different coilovers have different spring rates. the stiffer the springs the more likly you are to feel them. Additional to spring rates it depends on how low you are, you adjusted settings (stiff/ soft) and thats where tires can come into play to. If you are set stiff its not gonna bounce but you will feel it, if soft it will be more cussiony but if you're really low you may bottom out.

I have never had electronic dampers so I couldnt tell you but I dont think it would.

ep_hatcher_510
12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I will whole heartedly admit I am a noob, so bare with me. I have a pretty stock EP and I am trying to make my wish list for car upgrades.

First question: I keep hearing talk about pillow ball mounts versus some other alternative mount. What is the difference between the two, why would I want one or the other and what are the main benefits of each.

Second question: what exactly is the benefit of adjustable dampners? Why would I potentially want adjustable versus non adjustable.

Third question: does an electronically adjustable coil over exist, one in which you can adjust the height electronically and will it fit on an EP3?

Once again I apologize for my noobness. But we all must start somewhere.

1.) Pillowball mounts serve the same function as your stock mounts, with the addition of using a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing, with this there is almost no movement from cornering forces (unlike rubber which flexes) resulting in more precise feel from the suspension but also a harsher ride. Also another difference is most pillow ball mounts have camber adjustments to tune your alignment.

2.) Adjustable dampers are for you to changer your bump, rebound, or both within your shock. They serve as a tool to fine tune your dampers to your liking to how the car will react to variations on the road. Is more of a performance type of tuning, so for a daily driven road car i see no reason to have them, although 99% of coil overs or performance shocks these days come with them.

3.) No

dble0
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I definitely have a better understanding. The mission I am trying to accomplish is to have a suspension similar to an Evo ten. I drove my friends when I drove it. My biggest thing is that where I live the roads are uneven. Not necessarily with cracks and pot holes. Example: the road that I work off of has an s curve that is going uphill. There is a spot where the road flattens out just a little in the middle of the curve. The right side of my lane is slightly higher that the left and then it is pretty even. It tends to make my rear end sway when I go over that spot. When I drove the Evo through there I felt next to know sway. That is what I want. I want to go through that curve and not feel like if I push it too hard that I will lose my ass and slide. That is my mission.

My next question would be in regards to height. What is a good drop that looks aggressive but doesn't through my alignment off something crazy, isn't insanely rough, and that won't scrap on more than 30% of speed bumps... Is it possible to get any lower than stock and accomplish this?

This is my DD and will be for quite some time. I don't intend on making it a track car any time in the next four years. But I do want things out of the car that stock just can't give me. I want to truly have fun driving this car, not just enjoy driving it. My biggest thing is I love to accelerate quick and corner hard and anything I can do to make those two things more enjoyable I want to do to my car.

dble0
12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
It's Sunday... Bump

Her-Name's-Ally
12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
maybe look into a HFP or aspec suspension that should be right up your allie

larryo108
12-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Hey dude. In addition, to installing my stereo over the next couple of weekends, I will be installing a set of BC Racing coilovers. You are welcome to come and go for a ride some weekend. I can take you up in the mountains and we will see what they can do.

dble0
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you. Any other advice?

larryo108
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Check the thread below that I started. Lots of useful info there. Other than that I did tons of research her and other forums. I guess, the main thing is stay away from springs only. My current setup sucks.