PDA

View Full Version : Went from 5th to 2nd on a downshift..and yeah..problems =/

talonpunk831
12-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Long story short i downshifted from 5th to 2nd(meant 4th) and the car over reved hard. I pulled over and my motor is fine, but now im tranny is giving me issues. From a complete stop it goes into any gear just fine, but once i start rolling there is resistance when im shifting. My clutch feels normal and im not getting grinds when i shift, its just hard to put it in gear basically. Can you guys help point me in the direction i need to go? A little back story, my car is a 03 ep3, Has a k24a2 (30k miles) on an a3 tranny(60k), orginal a3 clutch and i replaced the tranny fluid a month ago. I never really had any issues with my transition except going from 2nd to 3rd in high rpms.

USAF EP3
12-01-2012, 09:46 AM
You might have a bent or cracked shift fork. Happened to my friend earlier this year and we ended up taken apart his tranny and replacing two shift forks. His started to get difficult to put into 3rd gear until he could no longer shift into 3rd. Same symptoms, clutch and everything else worked fine but was getting hard to put into 3rd.

talonpunk831
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
You might have a bent or cracked shift fork. Happened to my friend earlier this year and we ended up taken apart his tranny and replacing two shift forks. His started to get difficult to put into 3rd gear until he could no longer shift into 3rd. Same symptoms, clutch and everything else worked fine but was getting hard to put into 3rd.

Hmm ty for info, but it sounds like a shift fork only effected one gear, this is all my gears? Or can a shift fork effect them all?

USAF EP3
12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
You have 3 shift forks in the K-series transmissions. One for reverse first, and second. One for third and fourth. Last for fifth and sixth, if you have it.

Another possibility is that part that holds the clutch springs in the clutch plate might have cracked and let a spring loose. It's on here in the forums, if you search you can find the thread of people posting pictures of their clutches destroyed with a spring or more popped out cause of the cracking. They reported having the same symptoms as well.

Deadphishy
12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
your going to need to pop off the trans and check it out. Its possible that your clutch isn't disengaging 100%