PDA

View Full Version : How to fix bent rear suspension?

b_ron
12-01-2012, 11:19 AM
A women ran a red and hit my rear passenger side (bumper + wheel) on my protected left turn. (Which she is denying that the light was green for her).

I went and got an alignment today and they said my car maxed out at -1.55 degrees toe on that corner. Seems pretty excessive and this is my daily to commute 38 miles round trip to work everyday.

What do you think could be bent? the LCA?
How bad will the tire wear be if I keep driving about a month where it is now?

Thanks.

mitchlikesbikes
12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
1.55 isn't too crazy so you should be good for about a month. my guess would be the LCA. your subframe may have been tweaked a bit too, similar to how mine was after my accident. i would do a new LCA and get a strut king subframe brace (like 65 shipped from k series parts) and see if that helps. also check your upper camber arm and possibly just do a replacement there too if you're on stock ones since they're cheap from people who upgrade

b_ron
12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Hmm.. I'm trying to avoid any upgrades. Just need it fixed, unless fixing costs more than swapping parts. And I do have an aftermarket camber kit (even though I'm on stock suspension right now).

The subframe brace wouldn't fix the bent subframe (if it is bent), right?
Maybe a body shop would know what's bent?

I just don't have too much time right now, been busy with work.

USAF EP3
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Probably a combination of the swing arm and the LCA. If you check Stubby's for sale thread he has my old LCA's up for sale for about $100 shipped and I have stock EP3 swing arms sitting in my garage. If you paid me the shipping costs I could have my friend ship them out for you (I'm currently deployed).

mitchlikesbikes
12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
trailing arm may be bent but i doubt it. mine wasn't and i SLAMMED a curb. the brace will just help align your rear suspension and will also add some support being that it isn't made of thin flimsy material like the subframe itself. have you looked under the car at all? if your LCA is bent you should be able to tell pretty easily with a straight edge. also look at your strut and see if it appears to be bent. mine was.

also, go find my thread about my crash. i was able to get my car back to perfect alignment aside from caster (which has nothing to do with this because it's up front). i don't wanna sound conceited or anything but i'm probably worth listening to since our ep3s probably sustained nearly identical damage..

b_ron
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I'll have to let you guys know.
Having someone look at the car this week.

Accidents are a pain in the ass. This is my third one within 12 months and none were my fault.

Silva
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Hopefully it is a simple fix, interested to here what the verdict is. I slammed my old car/ current winter beater (1999 civic lx) REALLY hard into a curb last winter, I was going at least 80 closer to 90 when I went into a power slide on a sharp left turn because I was a idiot on shitty all season. Had a ton of lift of and was really close to flipping the car and I ended up replacing the whole back right suspension set up because parts were cheap... But ya almost everything was bent or broken, my lca was bent at a 135* angle at least haha.

Waiting for an update ;)

b_ron
12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Well, a little update.

Replacing the lca and trailing arms, and putting stock camber kit on still didnt fix it. It's heading to the body shop this week. Maybe a mount on the knuckle assembly is bent?