PDA

View Full Version : progress rear sway bar noob help

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
After searching it seems a lot of people install the sway bar backwards. I want to try and avoid this. This is how it comes packaged. Do they package it this way so you install it properly ? Or is this way backwards?
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/superchargedk20/IMAG0051.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/superchargedk20/IMAG0054.jpg

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 12:50 PM
What do you mean backwards? Do you mean which way the end of the bar points... as in up or down?

You should also have some spacers that fit under the lower tie bar so the tie bar sits flush once the bolts are tightened down.

If i remember correctly i swapped the bar up or down to clear my exhaust better... cant remember which... but i ended up selling the bar, keeping the tie bar and adding the Hotchkis swaybars. Far better product...

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Threads like these where they need to be flipped. So that's why I'm asking if the way it comes packaged is the correct way or does it need to be flipped
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68836-progress-rear-sway-problem&highlight=progress+sway+bar
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63535-Progress-rear-swaybar-hitting-lower-control-arm&highlight=progress+sway+bar

Her-Name's-Ally
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
you should be able to tell when you get down there. I would say its packaged like that for easier install. as long as it clears your exhaust is there a difference? the ends look different from the RSX-s sway.

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
If its installed back wards it can rest up against the control arm or bang on it while ur driving. That's why for people who have this should know if my picture has the bars facing correctly or if they need to be flipped. I'm assuming they packaged it this way for correct fitment but I rather know for sure than have to reinstall it .

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 01:32 PM
The bend should point up to clear the LCA... you could also pick up some adjustable endlinks to give you more room for bar position...

klik
12-08-2012, 01:32 PM
i remember when i had mine it came with the paper instruction? did yours came with it? make sure you epgrade your endlinks mines gave up cause the sways are just too stiff i think.

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I bought mine used so i didnt get instructions... but a swaybar is a swaybar... it will do its job either way you mount it. The only bar that would have a 'wrong' way to mount would be one like the front bar, since its designed to wrap up and over the header... you obviously couldnt install it the other way and it work. If the bar is symmetrical in design, then the bends would just allow LCA or exhaust clearance options...

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Well maybe for other sway bars u are right but obviously not this one. So many members here have installed it the wrong way, hence the links I posted . Just wish someone could tell from my pictures if that looks correct. It's not a big deal but why do something twice if i can get it right the first time

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
i remember when i had mine it came with the paper instruction? did yours came with it? make sure you epgrade your endlinks mines gave up cause the sways are just too stiff i think.

It did but the pictures arent clear and don't show a good position of which way the bar should be positioned

klik
12-08-2012, 02:05 PM
It did but the pictures arent clear and don't show a good position of which way the bar should be positioned

When i took my stock old sway bar i also sit them side by side so i had an idea how they will go to the car. Hope this helps

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 02:10 PM
I got on my laptop so i could click the links and see better... yeah you need to flip your bar so the bends point up (the endlink mounts point down) to clear the LCA... youll be good.

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I got on my laptop so i could click the links and see better... yeah you need to flip your bar so the bends point up (the endlink mounts point down) to clear the LCA... youll be good.

So then the way they packaged it is incorrect? Just wana make sure I'm understanding you clearly

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 02:18 PM
When i took my stock old sway bar i also sit them side by side so i had an idea how they will go to the car. Hope this helps

From what I read on here putting the two side by side is useless.

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah its ziptied upside down in your pix... :thumbu:

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah its ziptied upside down in your pix... :thumbu:

Lol. Chuck at showstoppers trying to pull a fast one on me lol. Yes I think ur 100% right. The left side looks more spread to give more clearence for the exhaust compared to the right side which has a sharper bend before going upwards. Thank u sir!

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
No prob man. Just took me a lil bit to be able to get on my laptop to verify. My Droid doesnt have enough RAM to load my Photobucket account (too many pix) and i knew i could scroll through those pix for a surefire answer. :mwink:

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
No prob man. Just took me a lil bit to be able to get on my laptop to verify. My Droid doesnt have enough RAM to load my Photobucket account (too many pix) and i knew i could scroll through those pix for a surefire answer. :mwink:

Oh ur work isn't done yet. Another question .... Endlinks. Is getting just new stocks a better option or I see these corsport endlinks only like 60 bucks but i heard there kinda meh

Ba82Ep3
12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I used OE endlinks on both the Progress bar and the Hotchkis bar. I had NO breakages or problems... but my car wasnt rusty or anything like that either. It was well maintained and everything moved smoothly. The EP was tracked and did more than enough local `touge` runs to create a problem... but TBH i dont wanna suggest another link for you because i had no experience with anything BUT the OE links. :mfrown:

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree. I'm gona stick of oem ones.

differentK
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
yea- it is upside down in your pictures. the ends of the bar should be angled up- not facing down. stock endlinks should be fine- but i upgraded to corsport adjustable ones on all 4 corners back when i did mine. they are a breeze to adjust and even easier to remove if needed. i had to cut my stock ones off so i needed endlinks regardless. they actually allowed me to mount both my front and rear bars a bit better with regards to header/ exhaust clearance. I just spray them down with lube when i do my coils and they are good- they creak a little but that is to be expected

Silva
12-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Good info, I'm putting a progress bar on next spring :D this thread will save me some time haha..

superchargedk20
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I didnt know they werw adjustable. Might be the way to go to make sure my 3in exhaust clears