PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Seconds

FutureEpDriver
12-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey guys,

First, I have an 04 totally stock. Except the radio, the radio is aftermarket, so I guess you could say I have made weight reduction mods :mtongue: . I do drive VERY aggresively. I am pretty sure that I was supposed to be a rally car driver :P. As I was taking off from work, I shifted to second and felt when the VTEC kicked in. The clutch started slipping. The only cool thing was it was feathering the clutch for me, so I could take better advantage of the VTEC :P.

So I have read a bunch of posts and found many posts about clutches, but I am unable to answer my questions about clutches. I am looking to get some longevity out of my next clutch, (without changing my driving style). Would I be better off with a Stage 1 clutch? I can do all the work myself, and really enjoy doing it, so time is not going to be a factor. Or should I just get OEM. As far as feel, I know that I would need to get used to the difference in clutch height. Also, I am aware that the next weakest point is going to be the drve shafts/tires, will a stage 1 clutch put more wear on the drive shafts than it's worth by grabbing harder?

Thanks in advance!

superchargedk20
12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Vtec doesn't kick in if ur running the motor the Ep3 came with

AKAahlecks
12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Vtec doesn't kick in if ur running the motor the Ep3 came with

:tehehyper:

Silva
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
ya we have iVtec.... or as i like to call it Imitation Vtec. If you feeling a kick there might be something wrong with your engine haha

FutureEpDriver
12-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, Well, I was unaware that our cars didn't have the real VTEC. At any rate, It only started slipping at 4k and only for a breif moment... and it has repeated itself so.

poeticfinesse21
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Just get a exedy OEM clutch...anything better than that is just overkill for a car that only has 160hp & 130 lbs/ft of torque

Civic5lug
12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Hey guys,

First, I have an 04 totally stock. Except the radio, the radio is aftermarket, so I guess you could say I have made weight reduction mods :mtongue: . I do drive VERY aggresively. I am pretty sure that I was supposed to be a rally car driver :P. As I was taking off from work, I shifted to second and felt when the VTEC kicked in. The clutch started slipping. The only cool thing was it was feathering the clutch for me, so I could take better advantage of the VTEC :P.

So I have read a bunch of posts and found many posts about clutches, but I am unable to answer my questions about clutches. I am looking to get some longevity out of my next clutch, (without changing my driving style). Would I be better off with a Stage 1 clutch? I can do all the work myself, and really enjoy doing it, so time is not going to be a factor. Or should I just get OEM. As far as feel, I know that I would need to get used to the difference in clutch height. Also, I am aware that the next weakest point is going to be the drve shafts/tires, will a stage 1 clutch put more wear on the drive shafts than it's worth by grabbing harder?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/64/smh_posse.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=5694)

Deadphishy
12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Regardless. The k20a3 has a nice power sweet spot because of the Valve timing adjustment feels a lot like a profile cross-over. Everyone here thought the same thing the first time they drive an EP3.

The best option is to get a stock type s clutch and flywheel. (you need the RSX type s flywheel to work with any aftermarket clutch anyway) If you know how to drive it will last a long time. If you let the clutch slip longer then it needs to, or roll your car back and forth at lights, it won't last very long. You will not see a long life out of a "RACE" part.

FutureEpDriver
12-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Regardless. The k20a3 has a nice power sweet spot because of the Valve timing adjustment feels a lot like a profile cross-over. Everyone here thought the same thing the first time they drive an EP3.

The best option is to get a stock type s clutch and flywheel. (you need the RSX type s flywheel to work with any aftermarket clutch anyway) If you know how to drive it will last a long time. If you let the clutch slip longer then it needs to, or roll your car back and forth at lights, it won't last very long. You will not see a long life out of a "RACE" part.

Phish, Thanks for being the most helpful and answering my question. Sorry to the rest of you that I am not a die hard honda know-it-all. What is the value-add of the RSX s clutch and flywheel vs my flywheel and clutch?

Edit: And Poetic, thanks for your helpful post too ;).

Deadphishy
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
The RSX type s clutch is a little stronger then an EP clutch. If your car isn't modified then you don't need anything other then the clutch it came with. A clutch has one job, and that job is to connect the transmission to the engine. If you increase the horse power of the engine it will be harder for the clutch to hold the two together. When your stock clutch can't hold any longer and the flywheel starts to slip you upgrade to a clutch that either has a friction material that is more grabby and holds on better, or a pressure plate that pushes the disk harder against the flywheel, or you get both. They offer you now "improvement that a non "race car" would notice. I won't get into sprung and un-sprung and twin disk ext.

A lot of people get a stage 1 2 3....clutch because it sounds good. But if your car doesn't need it, it's pointless and makes the car harder to drive.

If it is truly time to replace your clutch you need to make yourself a master plan for the car. A "Reasonable" plan. What do you plan to do with it, how far do you want to take it. If in a year your making it a race car, get a good clutch. If all you every see yourself doing are bolt on's and a tune. Stock EP or Stock Type S clutch will work fine and should last the life of a car if driven correctly.