PDA

View Full Version : Humming noise

maksym
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I have had this humming, wobbling, vibrating sound in the serpentine belt area. Was doing all the maintenance in that area if I could say it that way. Changed the water pump, tensioner with a tensioner pulley, idler pulley, which are all new Honda parts and the gatorback belt which is new too, as well as the alternator, from ep that had approximately 38000 miles, Honda part too. No bends on the pulleis, everything is tight, everything lines up, but still have the humming sound, which makes the water pump pulley vibrate a little but it does not have any play when the car is off. Also the tensioner pulley is making that famous marble sound. But everything is new and does not have any signs of leakage or wear. Compressor was changed 60000 miles ago and seems to be in good condition, crank pulley was there since 02, but is dead on, couldn't even take it off, so had to lower the motor when I was replacing the water pump. Belt seems to be moving right to left a bit probably like 1 mm. It could be seen when the belt is going through the idler pulley. Humming sound is still coming from that area as well as the marble sound from the pulley. Cannot wrap my head around it all, but ask myself "Why?". Maybe will try to put a different belt, or wait and see if the new pump starts leaking. The motor is working fine, no vibration or knocks from the motor.
Just wanted to know if anybody encountered something like that on their ep before, and point me in the right direction where else to look.
Thanks

Her-Name's-Ally
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I heard a humming noise when I was driving...but it wasnt the car :mwink:

anyways is the car driving funny in anyway? any over heating? how much driving(miles) since everything was replaced?

maksym
12-14-2012, 08:59 AM
No, no overheating, drives fine, and did not loose power or anything, but what you do can feel is pulsating, humming and vibrating a bit. I am explaining this so that maybe others will know in the future, because I bought the Honda belt and the problem seems to be fixed. So in the future no gatorbacks for me anymore, I guess some people where right that some applications of that belt SUCK.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-14-2012, 09:20 AM
yeah I hear you well glad you figured it out brotha

maksym
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Was about to go look at TCT, thought maybe it gave out, but still it did not seem like it was coming from the motor itself. The belt it is. Did not drive it though, just started it for the coolant to get to the right temp and it seemed fine, we'll see but I am sure it should be good now. So $40 put to waste with the gatorback, if would have gotten some autozone belt for $25, probably would have done a better job...

makavelibranded
12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I have the same sound(only hear it if I put my face in it), I asked about it probably 5-6 years ago, even made a video, got the diagnosis of possible the water pump or whatever was going out never replaced anything, got boosted 4 years ago, bunch of legal racing over the past 2, and here im am all those years later still wondering what the hum is hahaha.

maksym
12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
yeah, stuff like that happens, and some people are more picky about those little noises than others. Was also thinking it is the poor construction of the tensioner itself from Honda, saw, I think, TalonXracer talk about it a while back. Some of my friends had better luck with Napa tensioners, so next time I will know. But oh well, it was just horrible, when you are inside a house garage with the door closed it sounded like rod knock with that gatorback belt, but now it's all good.

Silva
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Hm interesting, I have a gatorback belt and I thought some funny noises were coming from my engine bay but it was running smooth so I didn't bother to further investigate. Guess i'll take a look :shrug:

jettech
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
mabe just try a different brand belt?

Her-Name's-Ally
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
dayco... el oh el

Silva
12-17-2012, 08:59 PM
well i always heard gatorbacks were awesome... so kinda surprised to hear that.