PDA

View Full Version : My Stage 1 (Yes 1) Plan, Advice Welcome

bung
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
My one and only local car mentor, who has done many "POOWWERR" built mustangs, tuned/modded honda's, etc. says "Reading forums and looking at various parts is ok, but never do anything without a plan."

(For TL;DR skip to plan section)

Background
I got my '03 EP3 from my Mom (only owner) almost 12 months ago, my very first car ever. I'm 29 and have spent most of the last 15 years in the computer/IT world, and I took math at university, so I have never been a hands-on kinda guy.

At the end of the summer I decided to start doing things myself, partially because I think I got really ripped off by Canadian dealers getting things fixed the car. But also partially because I was tired of being afraid to do things like pick up a hammer so-to-speak :) I got my garage ready, some good tool sets to start, a hanes book, the technical manual, and have been trawling the boards for months. I have learned how to do some basic maintenance as well as small fixes and small part replacement.

Lastly, I've always wanted to learn how to drive well, shift weight around, gear better, go faster etc etc. so my friends are going to take me to the track/strip and I will get a chance to learn how to do that. It's going to be a long journey, I could spend time OEM doing that and learning how far the ep3 can go, and then see the difference every time I make changes to the car. I'm looking forward to it.

Constraints

Newbie - 4 months ago, I would never have thought I could do my own oil change and brake job, which both seem like the easiest thing now. However I don't like to pretend to know something; I don't want to go try all this stage 2 turbo, engine swap etc stuff and pretend I'm in a Fast movie. I want to take baby steps and learn slowly.

Budget - I don't have a lot of money for this either, as much as our western culture has taught me that going into debt and spending money on expensive things (parts) will make me happy, I know I am going to care a lot more about my car if I save up for everything first. I've already felt a lot more love for my EP3 by learning to do basic maintenance myself, and I'm less likely to crash on a on-ramp if I am patient and save first.

Future - Both of those last points are actually kinda conflicting ;) If I want to go to stage 2 down the line because this may be addicting, then spending money on the parts below that are only stage 1 may be a waste because some of them may have to be upgraded down the line. "You have to pay to play" is the other thing I hear a lot, and I am 100% sure that I need to take this in stages. If I go for the next stage, then that will factor in later but not now!

My Stage 1 Plan
I want to do some basic mods, some "bolt-on" but I -must- also do a bit in the engine for the learning experience! I hope to spend the winter having some fun learning and working on the car, and get out on the roads and track and feel really good that I put my time into doing it

Cams - Like I said, I think this could be a fun simple one, that may see a small gain, but will primarily get me experience with the engine. I've read a few threads about it, some people have "thrashed" their engine with skunk2s or something, but I'm not sure what they're doing, probably being stupid. I've also read about probably needing to upgrade the other components of the valvetrain if going to stage 2 cams. The prices that I can find here are pretty much the same for stage 1 or stage 2, even if the other components cost a bit I think it might be worth doing stage 2.

Intake - A cold air intake. As much as I'm tempted to try and gain "street cred" buy spending 250$ on the best injen one, I think for my level and application, all I'll be trying to do is be able to provide more airflow for the new cams, which could very well lead to a cheap ebay one. I've read the thread about intake options, and I feel like I have to unlearn the brand-hardon and price-hardon that I have (and I'm sure most people do). The machine just wants to breath and minor differences likely won't matter for this simple stage. If I end up having to spend 200$ on a bigger pipe going to stage 2 because the engine can't breath, well hey that's small peanuts if I am spending 8-10k upgrading the engine. This is the advice I've gotten, it seems very realistic to me.

Exhaust - Better airflow both in and out, right? From the sounds of it again, I could buy the cheap piece of shit 200$ ebay full exhaust system that is 2.25" and I would probably get better airflow than stock. How many of you really know the flow rates and stuff, sometimes I wish there was a wiki.ephatch.com haha. I don't think I actually want the ebay exhaust here I'm just saying more airflow is more airflow.

I've already been answered that the stock midpipe is tiny, <2" and I can do a cat-delete as well (no testing here unless you move to a new province). I was looking at some nice megan components, but I'm a bit limited with selection in canada, so i'll look for some good stuff and probably post a more specific thread on that in jan or feb if needed. I also know that the stock axle-back is probably fine to leave, and it rates well as long as you're not continually pushing it to it's limits. However, if I have the extra money that apexi noir looked pretty hot to me :)

-- Well that's all I have for now, I'm sure that's just going to seem like a rant to some of you, and maybe i'm just helping myself by writing it down and trying to figure out how dumb it sounds. But if you have any advice I'd be happy to take it, I'm very open about this stuff, but I will always decide myself what I'm going to do in the end (which I hope sounds responsible lol)

Draw7Seven
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
tl;dr but good luck.

Not sure why reading forums and formulating a plan are considered mutually exclusive.

bung
12-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Sorry didn't mean to say they were, I think the point was just about not blindly following what others are doing without knowing what your own end goal is :)

Deadphishy
12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I am at work right now. When I get home in 4 hours I'll give you my long winded two cents.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds great on paper but with my experience it never goes to plan. I originally planned to do all my suspension work first (Which I recomment by the way) buuuut deals that I didnt want to pass up came up sooo I ended up getting my bolt ons first. Don't think about it to hard just have some fun driving her then when parts come up pick em up if you have the funds. Someone had a good rule that I like but he said he will only buy something if he can afford 4 of them.

As far as your plans baby steps are great. I/H/E, Kpro, coilovers, camber kit, tires, is a great place to start IMO

bung
12-21-2012, 02:04 PM
@Deadphishy, sounds good thanks :)

@Ally, Yea that's some good advice. Take things as they come, and for sure I want to be in a good financial situation. This will be the first time in my life I'm not going to do like 50cash/50credit or something hehe. And yea I forgot to mention something like kpro in order to tune it all for sure :)

Ive had a bit of trouble getting through the coilovers/camber info, I will certainly have another look during the xmas break (woohoo last day of work today). But I did kind of think that with a stage 1 I would be ok with most OEM components since I wont be adding too much power to the car. I expect to have to upgrade my rubber when my winters come off, my old summer tires are done.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-21-2012, 02:28 PM
read through as many "stickys" as you can. you will learn about spring rates and important shi like that.

Ba82Ep3
12-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Honestly... your axleback is fine. Upgrade to an OEM 06 RSXS midpipe, and buy an RSXS race header of your choice... bolt it all together (no mods needed) and you have plenty of exhaust size for anything you can do with the k20a3 including mild boost. Youll just be lacking the annoying buzz of the fart can. Darn.

Buy a CAI of your choice. Hunt down an OEM PRC intake manifold. You can find them for about $100, and they are far better than the stock PRB manifold. Well worth the $/power ratio, and it bolts in with no mods.

KPro.

You will have the three biggest "bolt ons" you will need for power AND build expansion for years to come.

Deadphishy
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
ok where to start......

First, Your friend is 100% correct. Never do a project without a plan. Specially a project of this $$$$.
You need to decided what you want out of the car, and what you want to do with the car. If you want to autocross the car, drag race the car, track the car, or just street drive the car. All of this plays into the kind of things and the type of things you want to upgrade.

A few points.

Bolt-ons, These are the intake / Header/ exhaust/ and other minor things you can do to the car that don't take a lot to install.
You can get a decent power increase will the basic I/h/e most of it coming from the header as it removes the cat and flows a lot better then the stock short 4-1 header.
all this might add 20 whp to the car putting you in the 150-160 mark. Your butt dyno is only barely going to feel it, if anything you think it's faster because it sounds louder.

For handling the best suspension modification you can ever make is great tires.
If your looking to track the car at all, you need to set-up what you want your suspension to be. Don't just buy things that come along because they are on sale. Lowering springs on stock shocks will wear them out very fast, and might cause your steering rack to make a creeking sound.

With this all being said. Be smart. Don't buy a super expensive header if you think you want to put a turbo on later down the road. Don't spend a lot of money on Cams for your (stock Ep3) k20a3 motor if you think swapping in a 3 lobe vtec motor is possible. Don't just have a plan for stage one, do drafts of all the stages until your at your end point. But remember you will still have to be flexible.

Stage 2 cams require a valve train upgrade around 600 in parts and labor and a tune! that means you'll need kpro plus the cost of the cams. So for all of that you are looking at around $2000.00 to make the car about as fast as a stock k20a2 (RSX type s) motor. So if your thinking about going as deep as cams, then you should look more at an engine swap.

The stock muffler is great! no need to replace it if you don't have to. A good cheap option is to get a RSX type S race header and a 05-06 stock type S mid-pipe. those bolt up and will breath way more then a non-boosted k20a3 motor will need.

Go ahead and search around, and don't be afraid to ask questions in this thread. Keep coming back to it and we will all try to fill you in on our experiences. I guess the bottom line is what do you want out of the car?

Ba82Ep3
12-22-2012, 09:53 AM
The stock muffler is great! no need to replace it if you don't have to. A good cheap option is to get a RSX type S race header and a 04-05 stock type S mid-pipe. those bolt up and will breath way more then a non-boosted k20a3 motor will need.

Go ahead and search around, and don't be afraid to ask questions in this thread. Keep coming back to it and we will all try to fill you in on our experiences. I guess the bottom line is what do you want out of the car?

05-06 RSXS midpipe is larger than the 02-04 RSXS midpipe, and the better choice.

Deadphishy
12-22-2012, 10:48 AM
05-06 RSXS midpipe is larger than the 02-04 RSXS midpipe, and the better choice.
Right sorry, i meant to say that, thanks for the correction. Must have been stuck in EP mode or something :P

Ba82Ep3
12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Nah, dont think of it as a correction. I like to think of it as everyone chipping in to make sure we all know what we need to know. I cant imagine there being one single person knowing EVERYTHING from engine building to carpeting. LoL

Hasbro
12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Nah, dont think of it as a correction. I like to think of it as everyone chipping in to make sure we all know what we need to know. I cant imagine there being one single person knowing EVERYTHING from engine building to carpeting. LoL

Carpeting? The only thing you need to know about carpeting is that it's extra weight.

Her-Name's-Ally
12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
hasbro I know you're into weight reduction. how has the handeling of the car changed? Of course I imagine better but do you feel any negatives aside from it being louder? sorry if im thread jacking.

klik
12-22-2012, 03:30 PM
just get this for midpipe and use you axelback muffler. 200
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1402

put this race header for $250 http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h11087bs.html

complete exhaust system for under 500

bung
12-22-2012, 11:21 PM
...complete exhaust system for under 500

Cool man, yea that megan I was looking at, and then trying to decide what header I would need and such, thanks for the links.

...You will have the three biggest "bolt ons" you will need for power AND build expansion for years to come.

Thanks very much for your input, I'll check out a few of those components.

@Deadphishy, You've hit the nail on the head on a few of these issues. And this is kinda why I felt the need to rant on so long. It's really really hard for a first time car owner, let alone modder, to know what I may want to do down the line. I have never been on a track/strip before. My friend is hooked on beating people on the 1/4, he's a big power guy. I feel that I've always been a bit more interested in turning, windy roads, rally, more about driving the car than having the best machine. Trouble is though, I'm not going to know for another 6 months :)

I hope that puts into perspective why I'm thinking about this simple stage 1. Sure I could just wait until spring and go drive my stock car around and see what I like and then go from there. It just seemed to me like some of these things are basics that would be close to future-proof as Ba82ep3 suggests.

That does lead me to ask though, a lot of the feedback I've gotten was a suggestion to consider suspension. I could see people down the line who realize what they want their car to do, think they should have got their suspension done right at the beginning. But would I consider it in my case?

The other thought I have is around your mention with engine swaps. I quote: "A stock engine is still a stock engine." If I was going to add turbo to an engine and expect it to not get thrashed, I would have to do a lot of things like, i dunno, forged pistons etc, rebuilding the bottom end to support it. Sure a k20a2 may be built to do more hp than my a3, but if I add a turbo to that I'm just facing the same issue? Isn't that true? Why spend thousands of dollars on a engine swap when I can put better components into my own engine for the same price and get the same gain? Is it just because I may max out the a3? I know this is the big plan for a lot of people, I guess being new I don't know a lot of the history with the big lean towards engine swaps on the forums.

Thanks for your responses so far guys :)

03CivicSiRacer
12-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I am at work right now. When I get home in 4 hours I'll give you my long winded two cents.

this guy is the man

Deadphishy
12-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Nope, this guy