PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detector...

MookieBlaylock5
07-22-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm going to be driving 200 miles or so to school and on various road trips throughout the year. I'm thinking about investing in a radar detector. Anybody here got one? I want to spend 300 max. I want a decent one but I dont need something ridiculous.

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm using one in Canada. It works great. I only spent $50 on it because it was the display model and it saved my ass countless times. Just make sure it has that VG2 cloaking technology in it. If you're spending $300 on it, I'm sure it'll be pretty good. There's many different Band's of radars cops use. The more your detector detects is obviously better.

MookieBlaylock5
07-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
I'm using one in Canada. It works great. I only spent $50 on it because it was the display model and it saved my ass countless times. Just make sure it has that VG2 cloaking technology in it. If you're spending $300 on it, I'm sure it'll be pretty good.

I'm using it more for insurance than anything else. I typically drive 80 to 85 on the open highway going to school, but there are a lot of small town cops that love to pull kids over.

I'm paying for my own insurance, and i can't really afford for it to go up. So i'd rather pay 300 bux now than have to worry about tickets.

....or i could just drive the speed limit.... :rolleyes:

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Is it legal where you live? If it isn't they can take it away from you and slap you with a big fine.

SLOlife
07-22-2002, 01:36 PM
I was looking at buying a radar detector a while ago. I found this site, it is independant radartest.com (http://www.radartest.com) :) Also Car and Driver recently did a comparission so you can look for that issue. Hope I helped.

MookieBlaylock5
07-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
Is it legal where you live? If it isn't they can take it away from you and slap you with a big fine.

i want to say that radar detectors are legal throughout the US. Now a scrambler is something completly different....

MookieBlaylock5
07-22-2002, 02:23 PM
and for those who are curious....

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/radar4.html

It shows that radar detectors are banned in Virginia and DC. Legal elsewhere with legislation pending in New York and North Carolina.

Pradamuimui
07-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Radar detectors RULE....its a way for us the import racers to tell the cops to go screw themselves. But if your planning on investing the money into one here are a couple of good radar detectors to consider;

1. Valentine 1 you can usually find these on Ebay or on other websites www.ebay.com
2. Another good radar detector would be the cloaker and jammer that they sell on www.eautoworks.com it is pretty pricey, but it works 20X better then your average radar detector. But it is HIGHLY ILLEGAL in some states so check before you buy it.

ApexinSi
07-22-2002, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on anything but a Valentine One. My advice is if you want to invest $300 in a good radar detector, go the extra $100 and get one of these things....You'll thank yourself later.
http://www.valentineone.com/images/v1homephoto.gif

Anyone else that owns one of these would agree with me.

ortedd
07-26-2002, 03:42 PM
I have a radar detector and don

DynaSpeed
07-26-2002, 03:56 PM
I have mine hard-wired in, and mounted over the rear-view. It wasn't as easy as other cars to do, however. It was the biggest pain-in-the-ass to get the 24ga. matted into the crease in between the A-pillar and the dashboard... theres *barely* a crease there, and it doesn't give. So, with a screw driver I messed up the A-pillar plastic a little bit down by the crease. No big deal though, just take a hair-dryer to it to get the resin to set again.

greenguy
08-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ApexinSi
I wouldn't waste my money on anything but a Valentine One. My advice is if you want to invest $300 in a good radar detector, go the extra $100 and get one of these things....You'll thank yourself later.
http://www.valentineone.com/images/v1homephoto.gif

Anyone else that owns one of these would agree with me.

That is the truth!:cool: