PDA

View Full Version : Compendium of Clutches and Fly wheels Hell yea!!!

playap07
12-29-2012, 05:47 AM
So im just curious, what clutches and flywheels you guys running and whats your thoughts on it?

Engine: k20a3 turboed (250-280hp)
Mileage on them: 88K
Clutch: Stock
Flywheel: Stock

Thoughts: Im surprised my clutch has survived this long. From me learning how to drive stick to doing hard launches to 55K of Turboed abuse! It has def been some fun times on this baby. Now days though she not holding the power of full boost anymore from 4.5K untill Redline so its time for something new. So I guess this is something like the Compendium of Boosted EP Info except Compendium of Clutch and flywheel Info - A Case by Case Study.

Maybe this is in the wrong section but hey let the good times roll!

klik
12-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I had a stock clutch and flywheel on my jrsc s with i/h/e and the clutch gave up at 88k. I used to drive it hard before i even put the jrsc in. Now i have exedy stg 1 and act lightweight fly on a3 with kpro i/e only. I like this setup not to harsh that my friends stage 4 on his turbo eg.

MajorJones
12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Engine: k20a2 turbo w/ ITR Transmission
Clutch: Stage 5 Competition Clutch
Flywheel: Ultra light 8lbs fywheel
Thoughts: It's a bitch to daily

Civic5lug
12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Engine: k20a2 turbo w/ ITR Transmission
Clutch: Stage 5 Competition Clutch
Flywheel: Ultra light 8lbs fywheel
Thoughts: It's a bitch to daily

ditch that light ass flywheel to help your tq numbers.

Engine: k24a2 Turbo (432hp 360tq)
Clutch: Competition Clutch stage 4 sprung
Flywheel: OEM k20a2
Thoughts: Best clutch I've ever owned, very streetable and the sprung hub helps A LOT!!!

klik
12-29-2012, 02:19 PM
ditch that light ass flywheel to help your tq numbers.

Engine: k24a2 Turbo (432hp 360tq)
Clutch: Competition Clutch stage 4 sprung
Flywheel: OEM k20a2
Thoughts: Best clutch I've ever owned, very streetable and the sprung hub helps A LOT!!!

nice set up.

superchargedk20
12-29-2012, 02:39 PM
This is a real good thread to have
Engine : k24a1 turbo (350whp 327 tq)
Clutch: rsx-s spec stage 2 clutch
Fly: act strretlite
Impressions: great stock feel, clutch is rated for 300 tq and I'm at 327 and its held up great. Wish I could say the same for my trans

Civic5lug
12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
nice set up.

:bow:

superchargedk20
12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
:bow:

Are u running a stock trans? I'm trying to get a list just for my own reference on high hp ep's on what trans they use. Mine is in bad shape. I just wana see what other hatchers are doing

Civic5lug
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Are u running a stock trans? I'm trying to get a list just for my own reference on high hp ep's on what trans they use. Mine is in bad shape. I just wana see what other hatchers are doing

yes with Wavetrac lsd. I lowerd the boost to 10lb so i can save this trans. PPG will be going in sometime this year :mangel:

superchargedk20
01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
So expensive those gears . I'm getting a trans from synchrotec with lsd csrbon synchros and there gona get my gears done with wpc

cyllarus
01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Engine: K24a2, Stock (220HP/190 TQ)
Mileage on them: 15K
Clutch: Exedy Stage 1
Flywheel: RSX-S

Holds the power and still drives like stock, total setup cost ~125 used and in good condition. Solid +1 upgrade.

lemonhead228
01-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Act stage 2 with act street light fly is good for dd. It's a little stiffer than stock and catches pretty hard.
Do not get the f1 racing clutches. I got the stage 2 complete set and it Shit the bed within 2 months of dd.

gtimportfanatic
01-18-2013, 01:53 AM
(old setup)K20A3 turbo 260-300whp, 235+ torque, CM stage 2, 10lb flywheel... clutch gave out on the break in, would grab when it felt like it

New setup K20Z1 Bolted
comp stage 4 clutch
10lb flywheel
Omni CMC
not ideally a daily driven setup but i do it because thug life. LOL, seriously though it's not a bad clutch at all by itself it's really easy, but when you add the CMC to the mix it becomes a little bit of a test. would def recommend it though.

PS, fuck clutchmaster clutches, shit gave out on normal driving, made me not even get to run the car how it was suppsoe to.

USAF EP3
01-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Engine: K20Z3 stock block w/built K20A2 Head, Crower Stage 2 cams (230whp, no race header, I'm really choking it out)
Mileage: Engine has ~3,000, clutch has about ~100
Clutch: Competition Clutch Super Single, Omni power CMC, K-tuned stainless braided clutch line
Flywheel: Incorporated into clutch setup, entire setup only weighs 15.2 pounds!!

I freaking love it. Bought it for my new turbo build, shooting for max 450whp. As of right now the only complaint I have is that it does not like to be slipped that much coming from a dead stop, make a loud squeal when I try and it grabs WAY TOO FAST. Other than that, when shifting (down or up) in motion it really allows for super quick shifts as the engine revs ridiculously fast than when compared to my old setup (Clutchmaster stage 4 6 puck ceramic sprung w/ACT streetlite 11.5lbs). I highly recommend this clutch for anyone not needing the Twin Disc from CCI but looking back now I think eventually I'm going to buy the extra disc and friction plate to make mine a twin disc just because I like baller status lol.

gtimportfanatic
01-21-2013, 01:13 AM
^ i think you just confirmed my new clutch... i was debating doing another CC4 with a stock flywheel or a super single... def super single

RxPhi
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Would love to hear more reviews on clutch n flywheel combos I have k20a3 with full bolt on this is my daily looking for something that is reliable but have a good clutch feel

playap07
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
need more info!!

playap07
06-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Anyone got any new clutch set ups on their ep now?

Im getting ready to swap my competition super single out with a competition stage 4 ceramic with a ultra light weight flywheel. should be interesting:tehehyper:

USAF EP3
06-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Anyone got any new clutch set ups on their ep now?

Im getting ready to swap my competition super single out with a competition stage 4 ceramic with a ultra light weight flywheel. should be interesting:tehehyper:

PAT! WHERE DA FUQ YOU BEEN AT?!

You never call/text! LOL!

After my super single I went to the CC Stage 4 too. It's great of course. A LOT more driveable on the street than the Super Single lol!!

I would've stuck with the OEM flywheel or the ACT streetlite, I find too light of a flywheel on a boosted car makes it build boost slower inbetween shifts. You have to understand what makes boost homie!

Load on the engine creates boost, it's the reason why you make no boost when free-revving the engine. Yea, the heavier the flywheel the more the engine has to work to get stuff moving, BUT! Once you get moving and you cut throttle to the engine whether to change gears or whatnot, that momentum (a.k.a. inertia) is still kept by the engine so your RPM's won't drop as fast and the engine will be more loaded than one with a lighter flywheel so in essence it will help build boost faster!

I know, I just over-analyzed the FUQ out of that! That's just how I am, do whatever you think is right though, it's not my money! LOL!

mussh
09-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Engine: k20a rbc kiddracing header straightpipe 212 hp 146 tq

Mileage on them: 28k on motor 1k on clutch

Clutch: exedy stage two three puck (sprung)
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/musshmonk/clutch_zpsea697645.jpg (http://s516.photobucket.com/user/musshmonk/media/clutch_zpsea697645.jpg.html)

Flywheel: 05 civic type r 11 lbs
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/musshmonk/flywheel_zps538fb22d.jpg (http://s516.photobucket.com/user/musshmonk/media/flywheel_zps538fb22d.jpg.html)

Transmission: Synchrotec five speed with carbon synchros

Its a little harsh for dd. the clutch grabs like a gorilla stealing a banana.

but, on the open road...... it is fun stuff.