PDA

View Full Version : Blitz ZZ-R Coilovers?

soblurry
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Has anyone ever had these on their ep3? If so, how is the ride quality and performance of it? Can't really find much info online about them. Im assuming the ride of this is pretty stiff cause the spring rates are 10kg front and 12kg back. My car is gonna be used as a DD and maybe autox once a month, not sure if this is too stiff for DD.

Zzyzx
01-04-2013, 09:48 AM
lets see, 10k front gives you 2.49Hz on the nose & 12K on the rear gives you 2.21 Hz on the rear... Car is going to understeer more at its limits, all other things being equal. That and its too stiff for Allseason tires, best use summer tires and a good pair at that. Remember, for best handling you want a suspension that is as soft as you can get away with. Because as suspension frequencies go up, mechanical grip goes down.

Stock EP is 1.66 Hz front 1.79 Hz rear, so the stock balance would actually be better for some tires...

soblurry
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Ah ok thanks a lot that makes sense. Reason I was asking was because a pair of these coilovers came up for sale locally. I guess I would be better off with a set of progress coilovers or the a-spec kit for my needs and price range of about $1000~?

Also to note that since I live in Canada it will also be winter driven and will be switching between summer and winter tires.

Zzyzx
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Ah ok thanks a lot that makes sense. Reason I was asking was because a pair of these coilovers came up for sale locally. I guess I would be better off with a set of progress coilovers or the a-spec kit for my needs and price range of about $1000~?

Also to note that since I live in Canada it will also be winter driven and will be switching between summer and winter tires.

those would do nicely, the progress setup has a good street tire balance. (1.97Hz front, 2.16Hz back)

else, I'd suggest a set of adjustable anti-roll bars, front & rear. (if you know a welder you can make any anti-roll bar adjustable)

that way you have a simple system to alter the cars oversteer/understeer balance. More oversteer prone for summer, more understeer prone for winter/bad weather.

soblurry
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Hmm what which adjustable sway bar would you recommend? I was looking at the progress sway bar but that is non adjustable and I dont know a welder. I also heard that there arent enough bends in the progress sway bar which makes it bang against somewhere? Also heard good things about the 04-05 type s sway bar but I dont think that is adjustable either.

thedvlsh1
01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Hmm what which adjustable sway bar would you recommend? I was looking at the progress sway bar but that is non adjustable and I dont know a welder.

Progress makes two rear swaybars for the DC5 and EP3 chassis - one is adjustable (http://goo.gl/eZbQt) and one is non-adjustable (http://goo.gl/XJ83i).

Zzyzx
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm partial to the Hotchkis sport setup, but its pricy. However you could just disconnect one of the end links on the rear bar for winter use. That will disable the bar entirely and make the car less prone to oversteer in wet/slippery weather.

soblurry
01-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Progress makes two rear swaybars for the DC5 and EP3 chassis - one is adjustable (http://goo.gl/eZbQt) and one is non-adjustable (http://goo.gl/XJ83i).

Oh never knew that haha. Just did a quick search on one of the vendor sites and only one showed up. Thanks!

soblurry
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm partial to the Hotchkis sport setup, but its pricy. However you could just disconnect one of the end links on the rear bar for winter use. That will disable the bar entirely and make the car less prone to oversteer in wet/slippery weather.

Interesting. The hotchkis sport setup looks pretty good, is that just for the front though?

It won't be for awhile till I'll be able to get money for sway bars and stuff though, mainly looking for coilovers right now. Seems that I will go for the progress coilovers. Just sucks that there arent really any local vendors here and that I usually have to order online which means a lot of money used for duty fees :/