PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a stock tie rod, thoughts, suggestions, input welcomed...

tinman5
01-06-2013, 02:07 AM
So, a few weeks ago my right front SS coilover blew an oil seal. I have since purchased and installed another set of coils from a member. Since the install the right front corner is out of alignment and the stock tie rod is simply a fraction to long. I have removed about a quarter inch of length from the rod end side and am simply running the tie rod end fully inserted with no jam nut. This has put me just barely into spec and is a band aide for the time being.

My intent is to tackle 2 issues at one time. First, I discovered the passenger side lack of adjustment is not unique to me. Some have simply cut more threads onto the end and shortened the length to get the proper toe specs. Simple and effective solution. The only consideration is potential weakening of the rod at the newly cut threaded section. Not to big of a concern for the average driver I would think.
I am not the average driver 15% of the time. In speaking with a friend about my predicament he offered the gift of a solution. Make my tie rod adjustable by cutting the rod in 2, removing x amount from the middle, welding a proper length grade 8 bolt to one half and a nut to the other side. Insert an appropriate jam nut before assembly, thread 2 pieces together, lock down with jam nut and go play. Viola! Genius.

Now the second issue is that of the steering arm angle and inherent bumpsteer. Here is where I am getting greedy. I want to weld an "S" in there somewhere to offset the higher angle caused by lowering. And to be honest, she is sitting at just over a 2" drop. Not dumped by any stretch, but obviously enough to affect geometry negatively. I am thinking somewhere in the 20-25mm offset from one end to the other should be adequate.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/FC15B468-EB0F-44C3-942E-8A8CDD3F4129-65018-000013745A1056A9.jpg

A quick illustration of what I am thinking. Suggestions? Am I asking for too much?

black05ep
01-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Why not get inverted tie rod ends or the steering rack riser? Just a thought, i get what your saying but you dont think the s shape will weaken them?

tinman5
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't think so. The added material will be higher grade than the factory steel. For the time being we will proceed with the adjustable conversion as that is my main concern. I will be picking up a few (3 I think) tie rods off some RSX steering racks that are unsaleable from a salvage yard. So far thats $20 for 3 rods. A few long tool steel or stainless bolts and nuts (depending on the rod or wire used for welding to the stock rod) will be about $20. I have a circular saw and the ability to make a jig/mock up, and my friend will do the torch work for the cost of some Blue Moon or Jim Beam Black. Total cost to me will be about $65.
My friend can make me a semi custom rod out of DOM steel or stainless pipe tig'ed onto the stock ends with a proper threaded insert for about $160 a side. But thats actual fab work done at the shop. This same cat welded up some beautiful lca's for my S13 as well as most of the chassis reinforcements and does work for some local offroad guys. He assures me that either way I go he will return a stronger rod than stock. Dont know how much the inverted tie rod ends are running though. Honestly though I'm really trying to occupy some time and focus on doing something rather than get drunk. Its been a hellacious past few weeks.

black05ep
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Sounds like alot of work but seems like u kno what your doin. Inverted rods are 150-250 somthing like that. i have a steering rack riser for my car.

tinman5
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I tried Googleing ep3 rack riser and nothing useful turned. Could you point me in the right direction?

And unfortunately no, I seldom know what I'm doing but I have been blessed to be surrounded by people who do. It seems like sometimes I can't thank them enough so I do my best to honor them.

black05ep
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=577129 this is what im talking about 0857 is the guys name who makes them on clubrsx. And where i bought mine its pretty well used on ephatch as well hence the link also in the one im posting. It was like 120 when i got it. Have yet to install it though.

tinman5
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
I will sheck it out. Thank you sir.

black05ep
01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Not a problem. Hope you get it straight.i need to get mine on. Btw i didnt add these pics they just showed up...idk??

black05ep
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Now they went away wtf.

thedvlsh1
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
OP, what you're thinking is already available for purchase for less than it would cost to DIY; Da Vinci Designs Modified Tie Rods (a.k.a. Todd's Tie Rods) --> http://www.dvrace.com/tierods.html.

black05ep
01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
His plan is to make half of the tierod offset so the steering arms are straight.

USAF EP3
01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
His plan is to make half of the tierod offset so the steering arms are straight.

He can do that by buying the inverted tie rod ends AND buying the modified oem tie rods from da Vinci design. That's what I did.

black05ep
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Yea i mentioned the inverted rods. Also pointed him to the relocation bracket.

tinman5
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Yessir. That relocation bracket is pure genius in its simplicity. Kind of a pain to install it seems. I will probably go ahead and buy one of these if its available. Unfortunately my more immediate concern is shortening my passenger tie rod. My buddy Rags picked up a trio of rods from an RSX base and what is believed to be an 04 Civic. Two are perfectly straight one has a kink to it. All three are the same length with the same thread pitch at the ends.
One rod has already been cleaned, cut and measured out. I was told my new rod will be 10mm shorter at center adjustment with another 15mm of adjustment max in or out. That should be ready as early as tomorrow or the next couple of days as Rags is tinkering with this between work orders. No rush on my end for someone doing me a favor.
I have decided however to raise the car by about 1/2" though and switch back to the alternate wheels.

tinman5
01-07-2013, 05:24 PM
My vision of an adjustable, bumpsteer correcting tie rod and all its accompanying wealth will be put to bed for the time being. I will contemplate having my Teins revalved around a slightly stiffer spring up front during the overhaul.

black05ep
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
I believe he is still making them. And good luck with the custom stuff.hope it works out.

03silverEP
01-08-2013, 06:47 PM
divinci (todd) has them, quality -> already engineered