PDA

View Full Version : Replica kits

larryo108
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi all:

I was in a minor fender bender on Friday afternoon. I have a scratch on my bumper that will need to be buffed out, but the front grill is a complete casualty. I will need to replace it.

I had already planned to do some exterior styling for my car. I wanted to do the complete Showstoppers CTR Replica lip kit, with replica Mugen grill and spoiler as well. I have been reading more and more horror stories about the fit of said items though. On the other hand, I can't justify spending almost 1,500 bones plus paint for a Mugen grill and spoiler from King. That is just absurd. I am a divorced father with too many other things needing money thrown at them. I cannot justify spending that amount of money on two styling items.

So I am asking, how bad is the fitment on this stuff really. The front and rear CTR lips will most definitely be replicas, because I do not plan on putting JDM bumpers on the car. I do plan on shaving the bumper lenses, but I am leaving the bumpers USDM. As I understand it, my only option for lips on the USDM is replica. I had considered authentic sideskirts, but for almost 800 plus paint, that is ludicrous as well.

So tell me people, how is the fitment on these parts from showstoppers? I am looking for opinions here. I did need a bunch of flames or talking down. Just looking for honest opinions. I have never done any bodywork, so I would probably ruin everything if it needed a lot of work. I don't have SHG_Easy E's skills.

Sorry for the rambling, thanks in advance for the input.

black05ep
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I have the kit and also made a post about it on a showstoppers thread. The real mugen grill wont fit the usdm ep3 anyway i wouldnt go.for it. The fitment is.pretty good on the kit. A few flaws here and there but i didnt havd to do much to get them to fit.

tinman5
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
As long as you understand these are after market parts and there will be some slight variance from car to car and some elbow grease and a good eye, the fitment can be great.
I have the Mugen rep wing and while fitment was *almost* spot on, there was some blemishises that needed filling and a little smoothing on the inner winglets where the blade is inserted. I did this myself and only paid for paint and prep. Since the estimator went with the Honda job costing for an HFP wing it only cost me $200 for that giant (compared to the HFP wing) 2 piece wing. Installed it myself working leisurely in about 30 minutes including removal of stock wing.
In short, for the price, the SS kit is a good value. With some patience and attention to detail, the fit and finish can be excellent.

superchargedk20
01-08-2013, 02:58 AM
Replica is always a risk. I bought the showstoppers replica kit and I regret it. Don't get me wrong it looks nice but what I ended up paying for in the end just wasn't worth it. First the package came damaged. My front lip came cracked. Now I do take blame because I didn't check it and it sat for a few months in my garage. But as a vendor here I thought showstoppers would help. So I had to pay to get the front lip repaired. My next problem was the side skirts were absolutely garbage they didn't fit at all. I ended contacting showstoppers for this again they didnt help. They did give me a discount on jdm skirts which fit perfectly. Then i still had to pay to get everything painted. Kinda ironic but the one replica peice that perfectly was my ctr spoiler from ebay. It was perfect.
In the end i could found all authentic bumpers and skirts in my color and prolly cost the same or just a little more

lemonhead228
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
only one i read bad reviews about is the sides from ss

m3nace
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
only one i read bad reviews about is the sides from ss

Yeah same their sideskirts seem to bee too short

fugazzyek
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
no body makes HFP replicas kit?

mRX925
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
no body makes HFP replicas kit?

Nope, you'll have to scavenge the internet for an OEM one.