PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here? + Help finding parts.

HondaFreak
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
So I am kinda stuck with what to concentrate on next for my track only EP3.

I kinda think the HP is fine where it's at 272whp/180wtq. Traction at the track is already an issue. I would really like to get my suspension setup, but I am about $7K short of reaching my race dampers goal. Custom is always expensive, it's even worse when you start looking at the real good stuff.

So that puts me where I am at, stuck.

IMHO I would really like to get started with aerodynamic stuff. E.G. Rear BTCC wing, front splitter, vortex generators and rear splitter. We all know the EP is a bastard child, and specialty parts are hard to find. And that's where I am at, specialty parts.

I am also interested in finishing the swap of all rubber out of the knuckles and trailing arms, again specialty. Cannot seem to find this stuff.

I wouldn't mind getting into CF hood and rear hatch, but I am worried about quality and fit. I have lexan in the rear and it isn't going to like being removed and re-glued into another hatch. CF doors would be cool, again, not sure about quality and fit.

So if any of you have any ideas, comments or know somewhere to get some of the parts I am looking for I would appreciate input. My signature line has a link to my members ride thread in case your curious as to what has been done and what has not.

Input welcome.:wave:

Christian

cyllarus
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Drag or Road / Auto-x?

I'm at a similar spot with my car ( a bit lower level though )

After much noodling I've basically come to the point that the next step for me is a z3 tranny, better gearing and an LSD.

Looked at your thread and dont see any mention of what tranny you are running.

Thats the only thing that really jumps out at me..

Lucid Moments
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
How much track time do you get?

That is a big thing I have learned. Track time, track time, track time.

I don't know about you as a driver, but my EG still has more in it than I can get out of it, so I am not making any changes to it until I have all I can get out of it.

HondaFreak
01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Road racing.
I have a full ITR K20A swap. The tranny isn't going to get much better IMO. Yea, a new LSD might help a little. However to me that's a tiny fraction of improvement.

Drag or Road / Auto-x?

I'm at a similar spot with my car ( a bit lower level though )

After much noodling I've basically come to the point that the next step for me is a z3 tranny, better gearing and an LSD.

Looked at your thread and dont see any mention of what tranny you are running.

Thats the only thing that really jumps out at me..

Skill is where I am also stuck. Track time was limited last year. This year will be pretty good. I should be able to hit every HPDE this year. I too agree, that my car has better potential than I am capable of. Since caging the car and lightening in significantly, I have lost seconds off my laps. We're not talking about a few, we're talking about a lot. I ran into some tire problems my last track day I had never experienced. I fixed it with air pressures. That's part of it, learning. Now I have some extra time to get some stuff done and get some parts on there that might help the situation without changing too much of the dynamic of the car.

I am seriously considering hiring a driving coach. The track schools are expensive and don't offer what I think I need. They throw you in some high HP RWD car and teach you that car. IMO the dynamics between FWD and RWD are too different to justify 5K on a track school. I think I am better off learning in my car, which track schools won't do.

How much track time do you get?

That is a big thing I have learned. Track time, track time, track time.

I don't know about you as a driver, but my EG still has more in it than I can get out of it, so I am not making any changes to it until I have all I can get out of it.

Still would like to hear opinions about CF hoods and hatches. Also if you know where I can find a used BTCC wing, I'll be your bestest friend!

Christian

cyllarus
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Ah I didn’t realize you had the full k20A swap including the tranny.

That being said I retract my previous statement, you really cant get much improvement in the drivetrain then.

Basically I think you are at the point where you just chase more power, or less weight. (ignoring the skill conversation, since you are focusing on the machine ) And you said you are good with the power aspect..

I think a CF hood & hatch are a good step for where you are at, can probably save 30 or so pounds by replacing those. I’ve never had a CF hatch myself, but the CF hatches I’ve seen are all flimsy. If you close the hatch by grabbing the bottom edge you hear a bunch of cracks and strains as you lever against the trunk shock. Honestly I always felt that the glass lended a bunch of structural rigidity to the CF hatches, which wont be the case for you.
But your car is a pure track car so every day DD stuff is not a concern.

I’d think about a k24 too, I know you are not after power but having the midrange torque might be nice for those times you cant hit the sweet spot in revs as you exit a corner.

Personally A JSRC k24 is what I am aiming for as I crawl along my path to hpdes.

thedvlsh1
01-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I think I am better off learning in my car, which track schools won't do.

Have you looked into Skip Barber's Track Days? Instruction and individualized feedback using your car --> http://www.skipbarber.com/highperformance.asp Cost varies ($350-$400) depending on location and driver skill level; private lead-follow sessions w/SBRS instructors are available for an additional cost ($125).

Her-Name's-Ally
01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
what kind of tires? slicks?

thedvlsh1
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
what kind of tires? slicks?

DOT-R; member's ride thread shows:

Dry Setup --> Black Enkei RPF1 17x8 +35 w/shaved Toyo Proxes RA1 235/40/17
Rain Setup --> Silver Enkei RPF1's 17x8 +35 w/full tread Toyo Proxes RA1 235/40/17

Her-Name's-Ally
01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
maybe wanta play with this variable too. Cant give you a better suggestion you may just find something better to your liking? next best bet is to gut or get 17 in wheels.
When you get to your level I found people are increasing times by playing with suspension and tires more than anything,

thedvlsh1
01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Next best bet is to gut...

Doesn't get much more gutted than this -->

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/_DSC0181.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/_DSC0178.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/_DSC0166.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/_DSC0174.jpg

Her-Name's-Ally
01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
On nice. I ment 16s btw. Seat time sir looks like you got it all covered.

HondaFreak
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I have not checked out the Skip Barber school. I mean I looked, but didn't see the drive your own car lead and follow. It might be worth it. I am guessing I will just concentrate on the the driver and the small stuff. I could use some new tires, so I might just start looking at R888's.

Have you looked into Skip Barber's Track Days? Instruction and individualized feedback using your car --> http://www.skipbarber.com/highperformance.asp Cost varies ($350-$400) depending on location and driver skill level; private lead-follow sessions w/SBRS instructors are available for an additional cost ($125).

Hasbro
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!!

Hasbro
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
As much as I like the idea of cf doors, hatch, and bonnet I'm going to suggest getting away from the stock suspension - although I really enjoyed mine once the car was lightened/balanced. A well done set of Konis with custom springs or check with SHG EasyE on ClubRSX re. Buddy Club Evo dampers (hint.they are not built by BC). He also had some AST 5100s for sale for $1500.00. When you are ready for the 7k dampers any of those would be easy to sell. If you haven't seen SHG's build you are in for a treat; http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=792361&page=20

rd02SiR
01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
If it were me, I would just get the new tires, and save for suspension. In the meantime, just get more seat time. I know guys that can master a car in a few sessions, I also know a few that take a few years. Just get out there with some experienced drivers, gain more knowledge from them like the braking, turn-in points, etc. But once you get that new suspension, you'll have to re-learn the car again. Just part of the game!!

Nice build!!