PDA

View Full Version : how easy should it be to turn my flywheel?

captaingamez
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
So Im in the middle of installing a new clutch right now and I got to removing the pressure plate bolts and noticed that I can turn my engine over by turning the flywheel by hand. Is this bad? my engine was totally cold IDK if that has anything to do with it, my car runs with no problems whatsoever.

I got the flywheel off already, also found a rear main seal leak, so thats getting replaced too.

so I have probably close to like 200k on my ep3 now, could this be a reason for loss of compression?, should I even worry about it honestly?

cyllarus
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Its not abnormal to be able to move the crank by hand a bit. I was even able to move my k24 by hand until one of the cylinders hit a compression stroke.

If you can turn it fully through the compression strokes by hand, and don’t look like this guy:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/093/6/0/huge_bodybuilder_by_koraggrules-d4uwv3f.jpg

I’d be sure to compression test it when you get it back together.

Ba82Ep3
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
roffle!

gtimportfanatic
01-18-2013, 01:14 AM
lmao.. yeah you should be able to turn it until you hit compression

captaingamez
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
well, I finished the clutch, thats all fine and dandy, I did an exedy OEM, and obviously got my flywheel resurfaced, the clutch feels great.

on the compression thing,

I can turn it fully through the compression stroke on all cylinders.

the car still runs prefectly well, It may not have as much power as a low mileage one but who knows.

the question apparently isnt how easy should I be able to turn my flywheel, but more like "what does this mean for my engine? my car has near or over 200k on it, I have always maintained it very well, it is obviously not close to new at all, but it still gets up and goes without any hesitation, starts with no issues, runs down the freeway at 130 mph all day no problems. so what do you guys think?

vtecr
01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
It's perfectly normal to be able to turn it through the compression stroke mate. You'll feel resistance but will still be able to turn it over with some effort.