PDA

View Full Version : steering rack clunking and pulling left?

pinstripes
01-24-2013, 07:54 PM
hi guys, so my car pulls to the left slightly then harder when i drive faster. Also if i make very tight turns like getting onto the highway ramps the frond end clunks and sounds almost like the front ends bouncing but its not my tires, i have brand new toyos, and balanced rims. I got an alignment and all my specs were perfect and in the green. Also i found when looking around online that the steering auto recentering mechanism could be centering the steering slightly off to the left? (if that even exists, i believe i read about it) i can actually feel the steering wheel pulling left. But i hear a lot about them pulling off center and also clunking.

any suggestions, it really pisses me off and is all over the road sometims when on the highway? I have money to fix it but want to know whats wrong. Will coilovers or lowering springs and a camber kit make anything worse, because those are in my near future plans.

thanks for reading.

USAF EP3
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
First thing's first. Check your front lower control arm bushing (LCA'S). Those two compliance bushing that connect to the subframe. If either of those are blown, it doesn't matter how often your align the suspension it will ALWAYS wander off and become unaligned again.

What you're looking for is cracking or total breakage of the rubber from the center bolt hole.

tinman5
01-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Agree with the above and will also suggest you verify the subframe itself is torqued to spec. Just for shits and giggles. It still surprises me the things that get loose on a car.