PDA

View Full Version : What to do what to do...

tlikethedrink
01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
I've been saving for a new suspension set up. I have some money saved... But have come across a deal I'm not sure if I should pass up-

Currently I have Rsx eibach sport line springs on what feels like blown shocks : /

I would like to finish saving for the aspec kit. The ride should be exactly what I need + factory reliability.... My only concern is having to buy new wheels and tires to fill the fender gap. Which I wouldn't mind just to change things up. But can get costly

Or

This deal came up on Craigslist- nuespeed sport springs and konis... Guy said he only had them on for -6months. He wants 400, if I go this route I would shoot him 350.

What should I do?!

usedep3
01-29-2013, 09:56 PM
doooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeettt naowwwww

tlikethedrink
01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Do what the konis and nuespeeds?

Hasbro
01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
What are your reasons for the suspension change? Cosmetic, cornering...?

tlikethedrink
01-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Mostly ride quality. I like to play around with the car but I never see the track.

My harsh ride now is what makes me want to get new stuff. Upgrading both would be nice.

I'm just not sure if ill like the ride with the koni/nue. I'm guessing it should perform atleast where I'm at now but better cause of the shocks. The Rsx springs now are about a 2.5 drop!

tinman5
01-30-2013, 03:32 AM
The Koni's alone are worth the upgrade. And at some point down the line a Ground Control kit can be added for what will make a pretty good, cost effective and adjustable set up.
If that cat will take $350, even better. Besides, you can still sell the 2 left over sets of springs (once you go GC) and offset the cost even further. The key, dont be greedy. The Koni yellow Ground Control kit is simply too good a value if you can swing it.

captaingamez
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I won't buy konis unless I buy them new, the warranty is void otherwise.

but frankly, if they are 6 monthes old, I dont know how much I would worry about it, koni is one of the best shocks made. I would bet that they will outlast the warranty on the aspec kit in their current used condition.

I have konis on the rear and just saved up to get the fronts, they arrived today!!!

also make sure they are for the rsx, the 50mm konis have lighter dampening, you want the ones for the 04-05 ep3 or the 02-05 rsx, not the ones for the 02-03 ep3, those are the same as the em2 konis.

there are only 4 suspension companies worth talking about off the top of my head, Ohlins, Bilstein, koni, and I suppose KYB. there are some other companies like buddy clup and tien that make great suspension, but that is not all they do like the 3 I just mentioned.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/6DC15285-D1A4-4AD8-99CD-D18A10C816AF-3622-00000386081F33A8.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/captaingamez/B763DDEB-98A8-4826-B92D-DE875DA076C0-3622-00000385FCA7A49A.jpg

Her-Name's-Ally
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
konis FTW
make sure you inspect them. if he took them off cause he was in an accident you may want to look/think twice

tlikethedrink
01-30-2013, 03:51 PM
the guy said he removed them because he sold the car to his brother and the brother wanted a stock ride.

i too want a stock ride. after looking at a few post about the koni set ups people run... ive decided to stick with the aspec goal i started with.

i want a good ride and oem quality. im sure the ground controls are nice, i just dont want to deal with adjustability or mix-matching spring rates. plus thats more for track usage and me actually know what im doing when it comes to suspension. i can do a few things, alignments isnt 1 of them : )

i saw a mustclime post, he mentioned going back to aspec because of ride quality for his GF's bad back. my GF has a bad back too : /
also the main reason for wanting to upgrade is to upgrade the ride quality.
performace is worse with just lowering springs... and aspec is a respectible upgrade. and i have an rsx-s sway bar to add with it too.

thanks all for input.

ps i can forward you this guys email or phone number if anyone would like... if anyone else would like this deal let me know via pm

captaingamez
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I would run your eibachs on the Konis instead of the ground controls if you did. I hate adjustability when it comes to ride height on the street.

You really need to get an alignment regardless of what setup you run.

b_ron
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
the guy said he removed them because he sold the car to his brother and the brother wanted a stock ride.

i too want a stock ride. after looking at a few post about the koni set ups people run... ive decided to stick with the aspec goal i started with.

i want a good ride and oem quality. im sure the ground controls are nice, i just dont want to deal with adjustability or mix-matching spring rates. plus thats more for track usage and me actually know what im doing when it comes to suspension. i can do a few things, alignments isnt 1 of them : )

i saw a mustclime post, he mentioned going back to aspec because of ride quality for his GF's bad back. my GF has a bad back too : /
also the main reason for wanting to upgrade is to upgrade the ride quality.
performace is worse with just lowering springs... and aspec is a respectible upgrade. and i have an rsx-s sway bar to add with it too.

thanks all for input.

ps i can forward you this guys email or phone number if anyone would like... if anyone else would like this deal let me know via pm

I'm contemplating aspecs (if i dont find any hfp's around). I'm on blown stock suspension :/
I just use my car to get to work, point A to point B.

rd02SiR
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
If the fender gap is an issue, then aspec is not what you want unless you want a 18" rim with a beefy sidewall.

You can't replace lowering a car with bigger rims, to fill in fender gap.

tlikethedrink
01-30-2013, 09:57 PM
I would run your eibachs on the Konis instead of the ground controls if you did. I hate adjustability when it comes to ride height on the street.

You really need to get an alignment regardless of what setup you run.

Yeah and I will, I just don't want to have to get another after playing with the ride height.

tlikethedrink
01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm contemplating aspecs (if i dont find any hfp's around). I'm on blown stock suspension :/
I just use my car to get to work, point A to point B.

Me too. I do enjoy spirited driving like anyone else does- and I would like to get a much performance out of my ep while keeping practical. Hfp is hard to find. Aspec is close as it gets to hfp/type r

If the fender gap is an issue, then aspec is not what you want unless you want a 18" rim with a beefy sidewall.

You can't replace lowering a car with bigger rims, to fill in fender gap.

Well my ideal set up is a little more rim and tire. Currently I run 205/55/16 on 16x7s, finger gap with the drop is 1f 2r
I would like to run 225/45/17 on 17x7.5 with the aspec,. No thanks on the 18s lol:gghey:

rd02SiR
01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
With the 225/45/17, it will be slightly smaller than a 55 sidewall, increasing your wheel gap.

Low35
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
I have a 03 ep3 and I installed JDM Integra dc5 type r suspension on it this past weekend and I couldn't be happier. I considered koni with the eibach pro kit, Raceland, oem replacement and could not decide. The setup I heard least about was the dc5 type r so I was intrigued. After some research I decided on the JDM goodness. Once the suspension settled I had a very nice drop about an inch maybe a tad less. And it feels much more planted to the road and still retains stock reliability. There is a guy in Canada on eBay that sells them one set at a time but said he has 50 or so sets. I paid 360 shipped for all four corners fully assembled . I just got the rsx tie rod ends when I installed them and I was good to go. they had around 30000 miles on them but they check them for leaks and do a inspection before they sell them. But if you saving for a new aspec set then just do that, at least you know they are new. I was on budget so this worked great go me.

soquel1
01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Nice find. Pictures ?

b_ron
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
A specs have the same drop as the type r?

tlikethedrink
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::whoo:
A specs have the same drop as the type r?

Supposed to be very similar. I spoke to Curry Acura today, they priced me at $590 shipped. I read on club rsx a guy said he asked for special pricing and the price they gave em.

I'm going to order tomorrow pending the sale of a keyboard I have on cl....fingers crossed!

Low35
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
http://sdrv.ms/WWzCUD
This is the end result. Not a huge drop but it handles much better.

b_ron
01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::whoo:

Supposed to be very similar. I spoke to Curry Acura today, they priced me at $590 shipped. I read on club rsx a guy said he asked for special pricing and the price they gave em.

I'm going to order tomorrow pending the sale of a keyboard I have on cl....fingers crossed!
Might have to keep that in mind.

http://sdrv.ms/WWzCUD
This is the end result. Not a huge drop but it handles much better.

Any pics from eye level, or specs on wheels/tires?

Low35
02-01-2013, 04:56 AM
I will take a level pic later. You probably won't agree with the wheel size. I have 215/35/18 in front and 215/45/18 in back. I think a 17 with a 40 or 45 series tire would do the trick. I know you probably wouldn't want to run 18's.

soquel1
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Depends on the wheel I guess. I've seen a few cars on here that pulled off 18's.