PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running CorSport braided brake lines?

tinman5
02-03-2013, 09:27 AM
This has been one disaster after another. I ordered a set of these brake lines because they are vynil wrapped steel braid and they come in colors. I like colors.
At any rate, I recieve the lines straight from the manufacturer in a timely manner. Unfortunately they are not labeled at all so I simply assume the longer two go up front. I install them on my new, freshly polished calipers and wait for today to install.
Right off the bat, the first corner=disaster. I cross thread the flair fitting on the chassis. WTF?!? I unthread the fitting, hey it happens. But this was not my fault. I look at the new line and there is a nick 1/4 of the way into the very first thread.
Dammit. I'm about to put a sledgehammer to the car.
Cooler heads prevailed, I managed to cut off the stripped few threads with a dremel.
Whew... salvation. Now, line and caliper are assembled, I attempt to install the caliper onto the carrier. Not happening. The line is at LEAST 2 inches to short. A turn in any direction will rip something out. Well maybe these are magical lines that run behind the strut...negative Ghost Rider.
I'm angry now. I dont like being angry. I'll include a couple pics in a bit.

tinman5
02-03-2013, 09:36 AM
First pic shows what should be the original routing
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/20CA742D-DD7A-4FFF-838A-6186A37768A3-3154-000000E41B3D5505.jpg

This next pic shows the awkward angle without even being hooked up...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/E8EACA22-CF88-408A-9CD0-1F3F657665A5-3154-000000E428E91AE5.jpg

And this last picture is of a new caliper with Corsport line and my beat up old caliper...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/2BDA7177-6B91-48B3-BA25-A5C2908CFB7B-3154-000000E432E1D431.jpg

Am I imagining things, or do these lines not go to this car?

captaingamez
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I just had my brakes apart when I did my clutch.

I have ebay vinyl covered braided lines.

they tood 5 minutes each to install

they are now 2 years old and have over 75k on them, they still look new.

I dont think I am spending the money on cor-sports.

tinman5
02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
I had every intention of ordering the Russell lines as I have used them on other cars. Fit, finish and quality are the standard and generally cheaper than most other competitors. All this hassle over some blue vinyl. I will admit to making the rookie mistake of not verifying the length initially, but I (stupidly now in hindsight) figured I had some shiny new calipers and pads off the car may as well install the line now and simply focus on the connection at the chassis. Should have been a ten minute per corner job with bleeding and minimal spillage.
Oh well, the carnage is done. I am going to see if one of the only 2 EP's in town has a salvageable chassis hardline. Plan B is to cut off the flaired end remove the damaged fitting and replace it with one off an extra clutch line I hope my brother didn't trash.
There are worse things. It's gonna be alright.

captaingamez
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
I had every intention of ordering the Russell lines as I have used them on other cars. Fit, finish and quality are the standard and generally cheaper than most other competitors. All this hassle over some blue vinyl. I will admit to making the rookie mistake of not verifying the length initially, but I (stupidly now in hindsight) figured I had some shiny new calipers and pads off the car may as well install the line now and simply focus on the connection at the chassis. Should have been a ten minute per corner job with bleeding and minimal spillage.
Oh well, the carnage is done. I am going to see if one of the only 2 EP's in town has a salvageable chassis hardline. Plan B is to cut off the flaired end remove the damaged fitting and replace it with one off an extra clutch line I hope my brother didn't trash.
There are worse things. It's gonna be alright.

shit happens, hindsight is 20/20 of course.

I would upgrade to the Russel or Earl's 3 piece lines, they are really really awesome, I have made countless new lines for motorcycles with the russel lines, russel makes very high quality products, as does Earl's, but I think they got bought by Holley.

tinman5
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Yessir. Agree wholeheartedly. And yes, Russell, Holley, Edelbrock and about a half dozen other companies are now under one umbrella.
Gonna attempt to clip and re-flair the stock line. I in fact do have a couple of line fittings.