PDA

View Full Version : Buying a k20a2

danito321
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I am looking to buy a k20a2 for cheap I think. It comes with everything except intake mani valve cover and ecu. He is selling for $600 dropped from $800. The head is off the block and the cams are out. Have done my suspension and other maintenance but not anything on the actual engine. It sounds like a hood deal but I am nervous about it. My brother kept telling me it might be warped or something. I figure if needed I can turn around part unit I needed and get my money back. What do you guys think? Good buy or steer clear? Nothing mean just want opinions or suggestions or things to check for.

Silva
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
for that cheap something is probably wrong with it. Or the guy selling it is about to get evicted in 2 days and needs to sell his shit quick haha

ep3a2
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I've bought two k20 swaps already and the thing to look for is mileage, clean vin number and major signs of wear around the block. If you get a chance to check out, just look at the piston walls, if they show excessive wear or heavy scratches, stay away from it. Also, check the cams and the valve train, you don't want anything that shows scratches or major wear. Best bet is to buy the motor in parts and put it together yourself. You'll make sure that all parts are good.

danito321
02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
The nice thing I that the head is off the block ad there isn't a valve cover so I can inspect the cams and assembly. I heard something about turning the crank to see if it seizes or turns smoothly.

danito321
02-03-2013, 08:33 PM
for that cheap something is probably wrong with it. Or the guy selling it is about to get evicted in 2 days and needs to sell his shit quick haha
... It was just the end of the month... Or maybe im just a lucky dude

civsirmt
02-03-2013, 09:21 PM
i would wait for something better.i dont know if you plan to build it or not but the head being off is a red flag to me.

danito321
02-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Please elaborate. As far as I know he was building it himself but wants to buy other things. I figure if the cylinder walls aren't scratched and it isn't seized the block is good.

ep3a2
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Yes, turn the crank and keep an eye on the cylinder walls. You'll know when you see a defect or what ever. Good luck man :)

civsirmt
02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Please elaborate. As far as I know he was building it himself but wants to buy other things. I figure if the cylinder walls aren't scratched and it isn't seized the block is good.

well i know when i was looking for a swap i wanted the whole thing,engine,transe,ecu,wiring harness. and i dont know if you are capable of reassembling all that stuff correctly maybe you are?if not you will have to pay a shop to do it for you. it just seems easier to wait and save for a complete swap,i have not checked in a while i would think $3500 could get one with low miles. but thats my opinion. do you know why he had it torn apart? a2's are pretty stout in stock form.

danito321
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Well my brother is almost done with mechanic school and I figure it can't be that hard to put cams back in a head. I know he got the engine like that. Its the only reason I am really worried. I guess I will know more once I go see it. My brother has pulled an engine before so I am certain we can get it done. I don't mind taking something apart then trying to put it back together. I really do t feel like I'm in over my head. Plus $3500 for a whole swap is just way outta my budget. Thanks for all your comments!

civsirmt
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
yeah if you got the tools and patients and a a good k series manuel go for it, i just never had that kind of time and i am fairly impatient. what are you going to do for engine management?

danito321
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks man. I just wanna be able to say that I've done it even if it takes forever. I will get an ecu from a yard or this wrecked rsx that is local. Kpro is in te future but can't afford it at the same time I'm doing the swap. It's not a project I wanna get done ASAP. I don't mind Having to wait for a part or saving up for it.

danito321
02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Also I plan on using the vc from my engine. I know the rsx s flywheel is bigger than the base or ep3 but I have a st 1 clutch I bought a couple months ago that will fit my current setup. Can I use my current flywheel and future clutch on the a2?

civsirmt
02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks man. I just wanna be able to say that I've done it even if it takes forever. I will get an ecu from a yard or this wrecked rsx that is local. Kpro is in te future but can't afford it at the same time I'm doing the swap. It's not a project I wanna get done ASAP. I don't mind Having to wait for a part or saving up for it.

yeah kpro is the way to go but a type s ecu will work too,you just have to get it up to the dealer after the swap and have it synced up.

danito321
02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
So does anybody have an answer for my previous question? Ep3 flywheel and clutch?

danito321
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
So today I checked out the engine... The roller rockers were missin the pins. It is build able except for that. No wonder it was such a good deal.