PDA

View Full Version : Sway this way.... sway that way

dble0
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
The roads around where I live are not the best in the world. There are quite a few bumps in the roads and if I hit one while in a curve my ass end sways side to side. What do I need to do to help minimize this? I am on stock suspension. Do i need new dampners, do they need to be soft or hard. new springs? I intend to eventually get coilovers with adjustable dampeners. But I want to make sure I know enough that when I do get them I don't spend months trying to find the perfect adjustment, I want to have a general idea to start out with.

Zzyzx
02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
sway as in bounces or sway as in the rear looses traction and the car waggles?

regardless, I'd be looking at two major things. Dampers & bushing condition. Dampers, because dampers are the primary control on how quickly weight gets transfers, so being sure they are in good working order will have major impacts in overall ride stability. And bushings being worn out can cause rapid and uncontrolled alignment changes, thus making the car less stable and predictable.

15000rpms
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
i recommend balance between soft and stiff. Too soft and the ride goes up and down big time. Too stiff and u skid and get hard impacts when hitting bumps. Also, acceleration control plays a role during cornering in bumpy roads.

captaingamez
02-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I would start with all your suspension bushings, and start there

maksym
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Better bushing in the back, thicker sway and better than stock end links! If it's just your ass that makes you wonder around. If the suspension is not blown and you do not want to lower I would do the mentioned above by me. As well as good alignment, meaning a bit more camber in the front with the toe at 0 if it is your daily.

dble0
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
What bushings would you guys recommend and which sway bar.

poeticfinesse21
02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Either hardrace or energy suspension for the bushings and the 05-06 RSX Type-S 21mm rear sway bar would be the best bang for the buck. I paid $50 shipped for mine :mbiggrin:

dble0
03-01-2013, 08:51 AM
How hard is it to do the bushings myself? Is it just unbolt a part and replace?

poeticfinesse21
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Depends on which bushings. Most of them you will not be able to do yourself unless you have access to a heavy duty shop press.

dble0
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Why the Rsx sway bar versus an aftermarket brand 21mm bar?

Zzyzx
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Why the Rsx sway bar versus an aftermarket brand 21mm bar?

Anti-roll bars are torsion springs, as such are pretty hard to mess up design wise. So, aside from if a bar is hollow or solid & the length of the leaver arm, there's little to no difference between anti-roll bars of like size between brands. So... its usually best to buy the cheapest one you can.

Regardless, your #1 priority should be a good set of dampers & a camber kit. After setting that up, then we can fine tune with anti-roll bars...

dble0
04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
To revive this thread and to get some info. I am currently trying to get a hold of a rsx sway. I am now looking at getting a set of coil overs. I have driven a couple eps with Megan's, and though the way they had theirs set I did not like it seemed that there was enough of a difference between the two that I could find my sweet spot. I have heard though that they are not a great choice.

Here is what I am looking for.
-1 to 1.5 inch drop
-adjustable dampeners
- sporty/aggressive feel
- I don't want it to feel like every pebble I hit is a giant speed bump
-700-900 dollar price range if possible
- reliable

This is a daily driver and if it ever gets tracked it will be 4-6 years from now. Any and all input is appreciated. I want to try to have a solution within the next few weeks.

dble0
04-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Bump for good info.

Hasbro
04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Hmm the lower you go > the heavier spring required > the firmer the ride, generally speaking. Listen to Zzyzyx. Can you afford to do the bushings and coilovers at the same time while you're in there? Budget? Can car sit for a few days while you're getting everything done?

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 06:20 AM
A-Spec suspension sound like what you need...

RSX A-Spec Suspension Kit for 2002 - 2006
http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 06:20 AM
RSX A-Spec suspension kit includes all 4 replacement strut/spring units
Lowers vehicle 1 inch for aggresive, sporty look
Improves handling and stiffens cornering
Kit comes complete with all mounting hardware and installation instructions
A-Spec Suspension for 2002 - 2006 RSX Models

dble0
04-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm really looking for something adjustable.

dble0
04-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Bump

Zzyzx
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
make friends with someone with a welder.

otherwise it is disappointing how few adjustable options there are out there.... its not like drilling a few more holes will make the bar twice as expensive or anything. (I'm of the opinion that all aftermarket anti-roll bars should be adjustable)

dble0
04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
make friends with someone with a welder.

otherwise it is disappointing how few adjustable options there are out there.... its not like drilling a few more holes will make the bar twice as expensive or anything. (I'm of the opinion that all aftermarket anti-roll bars should be adjustable)

I'm recycling my thread and not looking into coilovers.

Here is what I am looking for.
-1 to 1.5 inch drop
-adjustable dampeners
- sporty/aggressive feel
- I don't want it to feel like every pebble I hit is a giant speed bump
-700-900 dollar price range if possible
- reliable

Zzyzx
04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Adjustable dampers are not nearly as useful as one might think. nice if you have the time to test and tune or have access to a damper dyno. but otherwise non adjustable dampers like Bilstein's are perfectly acceptable as a performance option. (I would happily sport Bilsteins for both daily driving & competition if I did not already have a set of koni's on the car.) Just an FYI.

tie them in with a reasonable progressive rated spring & a camber kit and you'd be well on your way to filling out your requirements.

lemonhead228
04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Yea I think aspec would suit you well bro. Or try to track down some mugen ss off crsx. They're great for dd and autox.

dble0
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Are the aspec's coilovers? And I like the idea of adjustable dampeners just in case what I pick out doesn't quite ride like I want, then I can tune it a little. What is this I hear about ball joints when changing suspension? For my personal situation what else would I NEED? What else should I CONSIDER for the ease of upgrading while the suspension is off? What MAINTENANCE should i consider while I have the suspension off?

Powers
05-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Another good option may be ground controls and koni yellows.
The konis are adjustable and great dampers.
A big thing that will effect how the car rides is the spring rates.
But spring rates should be chosen after you get good tires.

dble0
05-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I looked into that set up but I am nervous about having to assemble it and what not. Any other options.

lemonhead228
05-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Nah aspec isn't coilovers.. its from the factory rsx-s aspec.. for any rsx dampers you need ti grind like 3mm off the back bushing and get rsx-s front ball joints.

And you be on your way.. you'll be fine with about it being adjustable bro. When I first got my mugen ss. compare to stock when i drove it, man it was stiff as a rock and thought it was WAY TOO stiff for me but after a week of driving(dd) I got used to it and fell in love with it LOL

dble0
05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Bump for more options

dble0
05-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Bump

Hasbro
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
You've worked yourself into a small corner, lol. Don't know much about non -coilovers so others can chime in. Adjustable Bilsteins or Konis and a reputable spring, it sounds like. People usually go with a too heavy spring so just enough to handle the drop. Without research on a stock weight EP , maybe in the low 300s front, 500s rear?

I'm on 336/515 springs, Konis, and GNC. Car weighs about 2400 and is going to 2250 very soon. It's very comfortable if I adjust the Konis and tire pressure. With a heavier stock weight these springs would also be good provided you go with the quality dampers. Maybe a tad heavier spring but I don't think they would be required. 375/575 max? There are other ways to firm up the ride if needed. Bars, tire pressure, damper adjustment, etc.

While in there;

- camber kit, front and rear
- bushings
- bigger rear bar down the road

With the correct tires this will give you a better than stock ride/feel that handles very well.

dble0
05-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks hasbro, any other info from anybody?

Eddie Murphy
05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Nah aspec isn't coilovers.. its from the factory rsx-s aspec.. for any rsx dampers you need ti grind like 3mm off the back bushing and get rsx-s front ball joints.

And you be on your way.. you'll be fine with about it being adjustable bro. When I first got my mugen ss. compare to stock when i drove it, man it was stiff as a rock and thought it was WAY TOO stiff for me but after a week of driving(dd) I got used to it and fell in love with it LOL

When you put A-Spes's on you don't need rsx-s front ball joints you need rsx-s front tie rod ends and you can replace ball joints with ep3 ball joints. That's what I did and I put a 24mm adjustable Progress rear sway and I am real happy with this suspension upgrade.
I also changed out the front lca bushings, new front sway bar end links and sway bar bushings and an alignment.