PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts.

Silva
02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
OKAY, not trying to beat a dead horse but I probably am. :horse:

So my EP3 is a summer DD that's going to have a few power upgrades. I'm not putting out big numbers or anything but even with just a short ram intake last summer i had nooooooo traction and tons of wheel hop. Yes, my tires are shitty but I'm in the middle of deciding where to go with my wheel set up so not going for tires any time soon.

From what i gather so far, motor mounts will:
1) reduce wheel hop a ton
2) Help with traction by reducing wheel hop
3) make your car rattle?

So obviously has major upside, however how bad is the rattling and will it damage anything in the long run? I know the street versions 65a billet rattle less, but just wondering which would be best to run? big difference on traction with race version 75 or 80?

Just looking for some clarification :mbiggrin: thanks

Supaduck
02-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Disclaimer: I could be completely and utterly wrong so if i am someone correct me and ignore me.

So from what i know, if you think about it, what new motor mounts will BASICALLY do is reduce the amount of wasted energy your motor produces by stiffening it's connections to the chassis as the regular use of motor mounts is to soften the force that your motor puts out on the chassis and makes it so that the passengers don't feel it as much (sorry for the run on sentence). That being said, you'll theoretically lose less of your power with new mounts and conserve more of the power to the wheels? (correct me if im wrong). anyways, to answer your question from my understandings, you should not really increase traction. you need new wheels to do that. nothing else touches the ground (or should) so no matter what you do, you need to get new wheels to increase traction. If you increase power, youll get more wheel spin with the same wheels. you could try to accelerate slower? :P but in the end you just need new wheels, nothing else you can really do :(. Also, new motor mounts would DEFINITELY make your car rattle more. About the wheel hop, i think you need to focus more on suspension parts that are closer to your tires. replacing the bushings for your control arms and whanot should help? but i really dont know if replacing motor mounts would do as much as you want them to.

poeticfinesse21
02-10-2013, 10:51 PM
If you're getting no traction and wheel hop with the stock motor then you desperately need new tires. You said yourself they were shitty. Figure out your wheel/tire situation first before you worry about motor mounts. I can almost guarantee you that some sticky summer tires will solve most if not all of your issues.

maksym
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I got ESMMs and sometimes even that is annoying... But basically it has been covered in many threads, it's the suspension along with the passenger side mount that makes the difference when it come to wheel hop and rattle. There was a thread with talonXracer recommendation with different motor mount stiffness and what brand is better to use. The guy spoke from the experience of having 3 or 4 different sets of motor mounts and explained the rattling and comfort aspects of them, but as well as fitment and amount of work needed to have them properly installed. To each their own. It takes a while for any stiffness motor mount to be broken in.
How I would do it is better tires, the mounts that talonXracer used, and it's gonna be bearable and useful at the same time... It is up to you to decide.

Silva
02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Awesome advice all around.
The only reason I was really looking into the motor mounts is due to all the post I have read that people are saying it is one of the best mods for a car as it helped with engine response etc. I will get new wheels asap just want to make sure i;m going to love it before i buy it :D. I'm changing most of my suspension set up in the spring as I have already bought BC Coilovers, Megan rear camber, skunk 2 lca's , proress rear sway/tie bar and i'm going to get all the bushings changed while i'm down there. anything else important that I am missing? My tie rods are in really good shape surprisingly with literally no wiggling at all. I know I need new endlinks as well but a I over looking anything?

thanks agiain everyone :D

maksym
02-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Search and read up on Avid Sleeper Black motor mounts (talonXracer's thread); might enlighten you even more... and there are some other ones where he actually tells which ones he used!

Silva
02-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Search and read up on Avid Sleeper Black motor mounts (talonXracer's thread); might enlighten you even more... and there are some other ones where he actually tells which ones he used!

tried searching through but fell asleep before I could find a thread T.T
if anyone has a link that would be awesome!
I work everyday until next Tuesday and I was busy replacing parts on my winter car to get it up and running :mcry:

playap07
02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
here you go

Innovative Engine mount
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?45066-Innovative-Engine-Mounts/page3

AVID Sleeper black engine mount
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53012-AVID-quot-Sleeper-Black-quot-Engine-Mounts&highlight=

Silva
02-13-2013, 12:44 AM
here you go

Innovative Engine mount
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?45066-Innovative-Engine-Mounts/page3

AVID Sleeper black engine mount
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53012-AVID-quot-Sleeper-Black-quot-Engine-Mounts&highlight=

Awesome thanks dude :bow:

2004ep3hatch
03-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I have avids, they are rock solid still to this day and they are 4 years old now. I recommend the polished ones. The blacks coating has come off mine. The northeast dose not help lol. I believe mine are 70a as swell..

Silva
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
every wished you had 60a? or is 70 bearable at idle?

T_Virus
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Avids +1