PDA

View Full Version : cupholder light project

BlasTech
01-12-2003, 09:55 PM
It didnt turn out bright enough, so I moved it over toward the right edge, and its just enough, but there's still a hole from this first one *but its out of view*.

BlasTech
01-12-2003, 09:56 PM
One more shot of the other side

BlasTech
01-12-2003, 10:00 PM
The reason I moved it, is the cover latch was right over it in the middle there when its open, and it blocked out the light. Now it shows just a little red glow down there, but not a distraction. Like I said before the hole and light are up under the cover, so you never directly see them unless you lean down by the e-brake and look under.

Thanks again for the video tutorial Paxie!

FailureToStop
01-13-2003, 01:09 AM
Just wondering, why did you put a light in the cup holder?

BlasTech
01-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Good Question:

1. I coudn't see down there at night when I want to put my cup down there.

2. Its a fun and easy project...and cheap if you have some tools.

Jpax
01-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Great Idea.:cool:

steve_jones
01-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Wo you have a totally different cup holder to mine, mine is two cup holders next to each other and a little tray as well i think

Weird

Steve

ssvr6
01-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Really? Does your cup holder still slide out of the way and have a "cubbie hole" under it?

Could you take pics of your cup holder?

(I bet the US one is larger for our Big Gulps and crap.)

Steve

IceD out N CALI
01-17-2003, 09:37 AM
nice little project

ta2dSi
02-01-2003, 07:46 PM
I was wondering how you got the cup holder out. I just got my 02 Si, (like 3 days ago brand new), and I have not bought the Haynes/Chilton manual for my new ride. I am coming from an 01 Nissan Frontier that i totally customized the interior. Thanks for the help

BlasTech
02-01-2003, 08:29 PM
The Chilton/Haynes wont be too much help compared to a Helm's manual http://www.helminc.com

but you can do it all without one. Start with Paxies excellent videos:
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6509

Removing the shifter console is the hard part. My personal tip: if the shifter console is stubborn, get a finger behind the blank cigarrette lighter panel opposite of the hazard lights. Once that little disc is popped out, you can reach inside with a better grip to pull the stubborn top part out.

Also, you can use a flathead screwdriver with some tape or some cloth to CAREFULLY pry the 12 outlet panel out, just be careful.

To get the lower cupholder parts out is really easy:
1.) Pull the Emergency brake ALL THE WAY up, and then some more.
2.) put the front seats forward all the way, then get in the back and unscrew the two screws back there on either side of the rear cup holder near the floor.
3.) put the front seats all the way back now, and lift the rear half of the console out rear end first, and the front part will unhook from the main cupholders part. Now marvel at the inner workings of your e-brake, and clean out the discarded fingernails and m&ms while you're at it.
4.) Get the trash out of the secret compartment under the front cupholders, then using a little flathead screwdriver, lift out the rubber mat from the bottom of it...its just sitting there in the bottom.
5.) under there, you'll see two 10mm bolts that need to be undone with a socket and a 6" extension.
6.) Once those are out, go for the clips in the front on each side, by where your feet go. Use a small screwdriver or ink pen to push in the middle disc on those little, round plastic clips then they pop out with your fingers. (when your replace them, pull the middle part out all the way, insert the clip, then pop the middle part back in)
7.) The last two screws are inside the 12v outlet console. They are in there on the back light and left and you need to reach one of your paws in ther to hold the screw while you remove/replace it to keep it from dropping down, but its not at all difficult.
8.) Now, with all the screws out (and hopefully put somewhere you can remember) you can lift the whole cupholder thingy out....careful not to tear the seats, as its a tight squeeze to get past the e-brake, but the console and seats are both flexible.
9.) Now that its out, youll find two little screws that hold its two parts together, and keep the sliding tray from coming out.

NOTES: While you have it all out, do some serious cleaning...those places that are usually hard to get to are now right there in the open, so DO IT.

ALSO MOST IMPORTANTLY: Beg, Borrow, or even BUY a dremel or other rotary tool to make holes in the plastic. A drill will make an ugly maw with a white scar. The rotary tool makes perfect clean holes and cuts that look like factory-finish.

Take your time and plan a half-day of futzing around.

Get the brightest LED possible with a built-in resistor (around $2). I'm thinking of turning mine sideways on the surface to face out instead of up, just to get more light. Ask the guy at Radio Shack.

I used black electrical tape, wire coupling clips from radio shack ($2), and some 14gauge wire I had left over from some aftermarket speakers.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and take your time!

Jpax
02-02-2003, 12:07 AM
Or you can buy my DIY cd and watch me do it , then you can do it. :D

ta2dSi
02-02-2003, 03:31 PM
thanks for the tips man... They help a lot... Now I can't wait to get some free time and start installing! I will post pics soon, once it is all said and done. I already have the high output red led's installed under the dash, and I will have many more soon.

I was also thinking about taking off the rear seatbelt holder, and putting one where the clip part is to give off an ambient red effect. What do you think?

BlasTech
02-02-2003, 05:27 PM
That would be ever better if you could get it wired into the fasten seatbelt light circuit, so it turned off when you buckled up.

My future plans are to make some kind of foot lighting activated from the door switch.