PDA

View Full Version : POWDER coating

team ERA 5
01-12-2003, 10:44 PM
i want to powder coat my intake but i have no idea on what to use??? i kno i need sand paper (dont know what kind) i need high temperture enamel paint...(anything else im missing) if anyone has pictures or TIPS that would beeh great...thanksss peeps

dchu
01-13-2003, 03:22 AM
Powdercoating isn't the same as spray painting. It's a special process that needs to be done professionally. You have to static charge the metal so powdered paint sticks to it while it is baked.

ssvr6
01-13-2003, 05:30 AM
If you want to paint your intake, here's what you'll have to do.

Sand the surface (so the paint sticks)
Use an engine enamel and apply 1 or 2 coats and let dry. (I suggest doing a total of 4 to 6 coats since the paint could chip off very easily.

If you have access to a big oven, drop it in there for a few minutes on 350 to help "cure" the paint. (This isn't necessary, but I find that it works pretty well.)

Steve

midas
04-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by dchu
Powdercoating isn't the same as spray painting. It's a special process that needs to be done professionally. You have to static charge the metal so powdered paint sticks to it while it is baked.

your right about the process but depending on how big of a part you are doing the equipment can be rather inexpensive to buy and you can use your own oven. basically if you can get the part down to bare metal with the gun listed below,compressor and a regular oven you can do professional quality powder coating. and if oyu have access to a sandblaster better yet. hitemp powder coat is another issue--i have had mixed results when i ddi the headers on my motorcycle.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/itemdy01.asp?UID=2003040322395053&T1=10198&Dep_Key1=pwct&I1.x=26&I1.y=31