PDA

View Full Version : Checking oil question

Pinoy84
01-13-2003, 01:50 AM
ok, I was checking my oil the other day and saw that the dipstick has two holes in the stick to show amount of oil. I suspect the hole further up is full. The hole below that, is that low or medium? I think this was stupid in behalf of honda to do such a way as it can be interpreted either way.

ep3_hatch
01-13-2003, 06:01 AM
There is about a quart between the lower and higher dot. So the lower dot is considered "low". I think being in the middle or slightly above it is ideal.

JSIR
01-13-2003, 04:52 PM
they've made dipsticks like that for many years, all you need to do is read the owner's manual if in doubt. simple stuff.

FailureToStop
01-13-2003, 07:55 PM
I was checking my oil with the car running a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why they put the dipstick there, but you can actually feel the pistons or whatever hitting the dipstick when you put it back in. Kinda weird.

RocketHatch
01-14-2003, 01:10 PM
You don't check your oil with the motor running!

waxcid trip
01-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by FailureToStop
I don't know why they put the dipstick there, but you can actually feel the pistons or whatever hitting the dipstick when you put it back in.

I think those are your lifters but I'm probably wrong. I don't know all that much about cars.

myeverlovinsir
01-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RocketHatch
You don't check your oil with the motor running!

That's hilarious! hahahahaha try changing the oil with the motor running if your into real-time results:D

chunky
01-15-2003, 09:57 PM
when you check your oil, It's best to do it with a warm engine. If the engine has been running, give the oil like 5 min to drain back to the oil pan out of the head & block.

Top hole is where you want to be at. None of this in the middle stuff, Top hole is full, period. Why would you ever want to run your car low on oil?

Bottom hole means that it's already 1 quart down. Bring it back up to the top hole. If it falls too far below the bottom hole, vtec won't engage, and in general you'll be doing damage to the motor.

But again, Top hole is FULL, bottom hole is 1qt LOW. Don't over fill.