PDA

View Full Version : Accident

civic hatch boi
01-13-2003, 05:29 AM
i was driving back to sd this morning from la. dozed off and hit something. i spun in the freeway. i was so scared i was crying and called my mom. my new car is now messed up... it was still drivable so i came to school, looked at the body with a flashlight, and no damage.. but the two rims on the right sides were beat up. and my alignment is way off.. the H on the steering wheel faces 10 o'clock now.. what kind of $ am i looking at? i don't mind keeping scratched/cracked rims. is my suspension screwed?

atl-si
01-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Good thing your okay! Take it to a shop for analysis. Hope all will go well with the repairs.:(

cbecker333
01-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
i was driving back to sd this morning from la. dozed off and hit something. i spun in the freeway. i was so scared i was crying and called my mom. my new car is now messed up... it was still drivable so i came to school, looked at the body with a flashlight, and no damage.. but the two rims on the right sides were beat up. and my alignment is way off.. the H on the steering wheel faces 10 o'clock now.. what kind of $ am i looking at? i don't mind keeping scratched/cracked rims. is my suspension screwed?

In my previous car, I once hit a curb, while trying to avoid just that. Both wheels hit the curb sideways and HARD. The front rims were both bent up and had to be replaced. After that, the alignment was reset and I was ready to go. From you statement about the "H" on the steering wheel, I'm guessing your situation could be worse. Alignment changes are for fine-tuning your front end - sounds like you need more than that.

fishboy
01-13-2003, 09:29 AM
holy shit that sucks. take it to a shop and call your insurance.

Type X
01-13-2003, 09:35 AM
bent control arms?

Cali_JDM_Girlie
01-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Type X
bent control arms?

Probably...my lower control arms snapped in an accident that I had. my steering wheel was all as backward too.

chunky
01-13-2003, 11:46 AM
I had an accident in an older civic similar to that. Hit a curb sideways going about 30mph in a sideways direction. (was going diagonally at about 60mph). Anyhow, snapped the front rim, shattered the CV joint, bent up the suspension beyond all recognition, and twisted one of the bolt holes in hte frame.

5k in damage all together.

New suspension pieces aren't that expensive if you buy them yourself. Just pray you didn't twist any of the mount bolts that go into the subframe.

sonic imperial
01-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Man I'm glad you're ok. Sound like several hundred dollars worht of damage though. I'm surprised you couldn't feel anything wierd in the steering. Sounds like you hit a curb pretty hard. Get that checked out soon.

Mad02Si
01-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Glad your ok but next time try and stay awake carry some water or something to drink. You could have been hit by a semi or something and really be hurt.

SiRman
01-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Good to hear your not hurt.
I'd get it looked at ASAP.
Driving on scratched rims is one thing, but cracked ones?
If they are actually cracked, I'd get them fixed or replaced.

Spidey
01-13-2003, 05:39 PM
in reference to your other replies....."u're gay"

;)

TrippZ
01-13-2003, 05:57 PM
learn how to drive. u're gay.

ya, see, doesnt feel to fuckin' good does it

civic hatch boi
01-13-2003, 09:31 PM
haha trippz.. u naive little kid :) please let's not get started on :) what does being sleepy have to do with how well i drive? also... my car can be fixed, it's nothing major :) but as for you... ah forget it :) don't wanna make u cry.

chunky
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
haha trippz.. u naive little kid :) please let's not get started on :) what does being sleepy have to do with how well i drive? also... my car can be fixed, it's nothing major :) but as for you... ah forget it :) don't wanna make u cry.

the fact that you were driving while that sleepy reflects poor judgement behind the wheel. I think that's what TrippZ was getting at.

Next time slap yourself around or just stop to get some coffee at a gas station or something.

falling asleep behind the wheel is as inexcuseable to me as a DUI. it takes time to get that sleepy (unless you are narcoleptic). thinking "it's just a little farther, I can stay awake" when you're sleepy is just as bad as thinking "it's just a 5 min drive, I can make it" when you're drunk.

be careful.

kpxplaya415
01-13-2003, 09:49 PM
dang that sucks... :(

but dont doze off again or else i'll run you over with my tahoe

civic hatch boi
01-13-2003, 09:53 PM
haha thnx guys.. i'll try not to fall asleep again...
ok. now that i'm calm.. let me try to get an estimate from u guys again... it's not as bad as i thought, but still bad.

-front right rim edge is severely chipped/scratched, rim is not bent tho.
-ride is not wobbly or bumpy, pretty smooth/normal
-steering wheel still faces 10:30
-front camber looks a little bit off
-no body damage at all

i was probably going like 60mph when i hit something, most likely the curb since i have no body damage.
THANK GOD

Brettnyt
01-13-2003, 11:22 PM
How long does it take you to make that drive? Im plannin on makin it every weekend when im in college... Gotta go visit my girl when shees at UCLA, im thinkin USD right now for me, but not sure... Just wonderin about drive time. Sorry bout your car man, that blows. I would have cried too. I love my car. Birthdays comin up in a week and i think sum lady is gettin me a gift certificate to a speed shop. MMM, sparco pedals..... You got pics of your poor car?

-Brett

civic hatch boi
01-14-2003, 12:02 AM
for me, the drive is like 1hr40min with absolutely no traffic.. around 2-3hrs if traffic. for you.. id' be like 1hr50min~ the extra ten minutes going to west la (ucla)... ucla is a good school.. ucd is a good school, but if u can, come to ucsd :)

chunky
01-14-2003, 02:22 AM
haha thnx guys.. i'll try not to fall asleep again...
ok. now that i'm calm.. let me try to get an estimate from u guys again... it's not as bad as i thought, but still bad.

-front right rim edge is severely chipped/scratched, rim is not bent tho.
-ride is not wobbly or bumpy, pretty smooth/normal
-steering wheel still faces 10:30
-front camber looks a little bit off
-no body damage at all

i was probably going like 60mph when i hit something, most likely the curb since i have no body damage.
THANK GOD

how far off is the front camber? is the camber positive or negative? most likely positive since you hit a curb.

you probably bent the lower control arm in fact, I can almost garantee it.

what about the back? was it just the front wheel that hit?

civic hatch boi
01-14-2003, 02:28 AM
the front wheel is slightly slant inward i think like this
[ ]
//[car]\\

i think it's mostly the front right tire.. the rear right hit too i think cuz the tire was scuffed up and white, but the back rim is fine. and the camber on the front isn't too far off.. maybe like -2 at most.

am i looking at more than $1k in damages?

chunky
01-14-2003, 07:47 AM
the front wheel is slightly slant inward i think like this
[ ]
//[car]\\

i think it's mostly the front right tire.. the rear right hit too i think cuz the tire was scuffed up and white, but the back rim is fine. and the camber on the front isn't too far off.. maybe like -2 at most.

am i looking at more than $1k in damages?

hmm, slightly inward, check the tie rod and floating mount at the top of the strut. Nothing should have happened to the mount (it's floating for reasons just like this)

you probably benet the LCA and the tie rod. no big deal if you only bent them slightly. they will require replacement.

civic hatch boi
01-14-2003, 10:06 AM
i pray it's no big deal, but now much do u think it'll cost? $500? $1000? $1500? $3ooo?

civic hatch boi
01-15-2003, 05:13 PM
verdict.... came back from "Suspension Plus"

i checked under the car with the guys..
control arm didn't look bent, maybe tho..

main thing we could see is... my strut/shock was bent, not blown tho. that's about it

hahaha, i guess it wasn't that bad..

so imma ride around with a bent strut until kyb's come out.. my right side will be 1/2" lower than th eright :) and my front right tire will wear due to the -5deg camber hehe. but it's ok. no poitn of buying a strut from HOnda dealer when 1 tire is cheaper to replace. thnx to all who kared to reply.

but after i change the shocks, only then can they tell what else is wrong, control arm, spindle, etc. to me, the tie rod didn't look bent either.

it was $45 just to have it checked, but the guy was cool.. i told him im getting kyb's and he gave me a thumbs up. he told me he'd only charge me $30 and i didn't even ask him to lower it. wut a nice guy :) God rules.

wait now i'm confused... are strut and shock the same thing or diff?

http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_002.jpg

in the picture, the part in the middle (right above the 2 big bolt holes), under the springs is bent.. how will me getting new kyb's fix that problem?
i think i got it... do i get this whole thing??
http://kyb.com/shocks/cutaway/agxcut.JPG
i get everything in that picture? even from the funnel shaped part to the thing with the two holes??

fishboy
01-15-2003, 05:52 PM
dude, do you have insurance? get that fucker fixed. i wouldn't drive around like that personally. something terrible might go wrong and you might have to pay even more later.

i did something like that once in high school. my jeep's tranny got messed up. i didn't know what was wrong with it, but for some reason it would still "work" if i put it in 4wd. work meaning go forward whatever. i make it to the freeway and about 2 exits away the whole thing just shuts down. i had to pay to get it towed. and to a high schooler a hundred bucks or so is a whole lot. shit it is a lot now. i don't know why, but i thought that story is somewhat related to your situation. now that i look at it again i'm rambling.

anyways, promise us you aren't gonna drive that thing til you save money for some kybs. just bite the bullet and take the 500 dollar hit for the deductible. don't risk further damage rolling on fucked up suspension, but if the suspension people said it is still good to drive on and other people here say the same thing then forget everything i'm saying. it just doesn't sound good from what i'm reading that's all.

civic hatch boi
01-15-2003, 08:17 PM
dunno when kyb's are out that's the prob.. don't wanan waste money to buy 1 strut, then buy new kybs.. the guy said you can run on a bent strut for like 10 yrs .. the only prob he said that i'll have is major camber wear for the tire.

IceD out N CALI
01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
i'm a little late in this thread but sorry to hear about the accident:(

chunky
01-15-2003, 09:46 PM
just pray that the KYB struts don't mimic the koni and re=use the stock strut housing.

if so, getting KYB struts won't help.

I personally wouldn't invest in shocks at all until someone comes out with a proper strut that replaces the entire strut assembly. I'd gladly pay more for that.