PDA

View Full Version : Suspension bottoming out?

hamlet9634
01-13-2003, 06:44 AM
question for all you guys running lowered cars (specifically the ground control guys with VERY low cars or the nuespeed race guys):

Is there a problem with the suspension bottoming out with the car set too low? Did you guys cut any bumpstops when lowering your cars? Is there enough suspension travel after lowering the car with stock shocks, or do you all wish you had a short body shock?

thanx

swampdonkey
01-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I can answer this one without having lowered my Civic

If you do not replace the struts when you replace the springs in our cars there will not be enough suspension travel. You will hit the bumpstops. Perhaps you will hit them only every once in a while if you lower it an inch or you might smah them mercilessly if you lower it 2-3inches, but there is no room for lowering provided in our stock setup.

ep3
01-13-2003, 07:30 PM
with my first adjustments for my ground controls, i was bottoming out a grip. i had it a little too low. i had to readjust them to make them a little higher. i still bottom out everyonce in a while but not as much as i use to. i think with ground controls, they advise you cut the rear bumpstops in half.

chunky
01-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by hamlet9634
question for all you guys running lowered cars (specifically the ground control guys with VERY low cars or the nuespeed race guys):

Is there a problem with the suspension bottoming out with the car set too low? Did you guys cut any bumpstops when lowering your cars? Is there enough suspension travel after lowering the car with stock shocks, or do you all wish you had a short body shock?

thanx

precisely the reason why i'm waiting on going really low with my car. in order to go really low (2" or more) you need a whole new front strut body. The tie rod end has to be mounted lower, and the whole assembly needs to be shorter. In the rear you need a shorter shock body as well.

That is so you can maintain adequate suspension travel for a streetable ride.

otherwise you will slam into the bumpstops all the time over harsh bumps.

for now i'm going with the 1.3" h&r sport springs. maybe in a year there will be enough to choose from in the 2" and above drop to do something there.

EP33
01-14-2003, 12:27 PM
I vote for them too. I'm am going to get them soon with the Nissin Showa shocks. If anyone else gets this combo B-4 me post post post

:D;)