PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount

dble0
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Took my car to Honda today for some maintainance and they informed me while they were under the car that one of my front motor mounts is going bad. What to do. Do I go back stock or replace with aftermarket? What is the benefit of the after market ones and which ones would you recommend? This is a DD but I do believe in spoiling her when it is appropriate.

lemonhead228
03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Replacing it with aftermarket mounts, you gonna have more vibration. Most ppl opt for the cheaper route and esmm. but if you do go aftermarket get 60a which is the softest

Mounts will reduce wheel hop when floor it from a dig and the driving would be more solid. plus your shifting will be more crisp.

dble0
03-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't see where the mounts have a rating on them, on the usual sites(corsport,etc). Should I go with the whole mount or just an insert and which one? Thanks for the help.

Ps how well does an engine torque dampener work? Does it help eliminate wheel hop?

lemonhead228
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't see where the mounts have a rating on them, on the usual sites(corsport,etc). Should I go with the whole mount or just an insert and which one? Thanks for the help.

Ps how well does an engine torque dampener work? Does it help eliminate wheel hop?

On the corsport site on the bottom before add to chart it ask Urethane Stiffness: ___________ <--- and it tells you that 60a is street, 75a is track, etc.....

but all esmm are the same, just different colors you can choose from.

torque dampeners works the same as mounts but some say if you have all after market mounts it's kinda useless since the motor is barely moving. If you staying stock mounts then is works well

Blah1219
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Where are you getting this info that motor mounts decrease wheel hop? All it does it control engine vibration and transfer it to the body. If people are worrying about wheel hop, they need to focus on better tires, suspension, and replace all torn bushings, tie rods, and ball joints.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to get new engine mounts, remember that when you buy the set of engine mounts, they only come with 3 mounts. The front mount you have to buy seperately. So if you're set on a budget, be sure to figure out specificly which mount you are looking for, so you can get the correct one replaced. I would go with the 60a if you're not doing anything crazy. I just installed my 75a and my broadway mirror shakes as if I had 2 12"s in my truck when I'm at a complete stop. But it loses it's shake when I'm in movement.

Any more questions just ask.

poeticfinesse21
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
^This is why I recommend the hardrace motor mount kit. It's hardened rubber so it won't wear out nearly as fast as the poly mounts and it comes with all four motor mounts for about the same price or cheaper than those other kits.

Blah1219
03-04-2013, 02:00 PM
^This is why I recommend the hardrace motor mount kit. It's hardened rubber so it won't wear out nearly as fast as the poly mounts and it comes with all four motor mounts for about the same price or cheaper than those other kits.

Most motor mounts have life replacement warranty. 60a is the closest to stock replacement. I have Innovative mounts, pain in the ass to install, but I recommend AVID for the easy install.

poeticfinesse21
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
It all depends on what your preference is. I'm just not a fan of any polyurethane on a daily driven car.

Blah1219
03-04-2013, 02:24 PM
It all depends on what your preference is. I'm just not a fan of any polyurethane on a daily driven car.

Haha you also live in Chicago where they use a shit load of salt and sand on their roads.

poeticfinesse21
03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Haha you also live in Chicago where they use a shit load of salt and sand on their roads.

Yea that plays a big role in my decision making lol. Polyurethane would turn into jelly in no time over here :mmad:

usedep3
03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
if its the front mount behind the radiator, why don't you just install ESMM's? If the motor mount is just slightly torn you mught be able to salvage it with an ESMM

lemonhead228
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Where are you getting this info that motor mounts decrease wheel hop? All it does it control engine vibration and transfer it to the body. If people are worrying about wheel hop, they need to focus on better tires, suspension, and replace all torn bushings, tie rods, and ball joints.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to get new engine mounts, remember that when you buy the set of engine mounts, they only come with 3 mounts. The front mount you have to buy seperately. So if you're set on a budget, be sure to figure out specificly which mount you are looking for, so you can get the correct one replaced. I would go with the 60a if you're not doing anything crazy. I just installed my 75a and my broadway mirror shakes as if I had 2 12"s in my truck when I'm at a complete stop. But it loses it's shake when I'm in movement.

Any more questions just ask.

some of the reviews on after market mounts say so.

here's some on kseriespart.com. i actually read though most of the reviews on mounts they have lol

http://www.kseriesparts.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=REVIEWS&Product_Code=INN-90650-60A&Store_Code=CR