PDA

View Full Version : Racing harness

dble0
03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
This is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyways. I'm considering racing seats one day with a harness (of course). I want to know can you put in a five point harness with out a roll bar/cage? This is my DD and I use my backseat somewhat regularly.

Danielsle
03-02-2013, 03:46 AM
4 point ice seen done. Don't know about a 5 point.

Danielsle
03-02-2013, 03:48 AM
But with a long harness it bolts up to the rear seats. And a short harness bolts to harness bar. Long harness won't have space for rear passengers. Short harness with harness bar is unsafe for rear passengers unless you plan on killing them.

dble0
03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Bump for more info

EP3Lov3
03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
This is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyways. I'm considering racing seats one day with a harness (of course). I want to know can you put in a five point harness with out a roll bar/cage? This is my DD and I use my backseat somewhat regularly.

I was in your position a while back when I was looking at seats/harnesses also. If you want a harness, don't get a 5-point because the strap that bolts down in the floor between your crotch will hurt your man sausage under braking. If you're looking for a good harness that you can use everyday but also have access to the backseat if needed, look at the Rallye 4 harness made my Schroth. It is a 4 point harness that mounts to your rear seat belt buckle points and you can detach the rear mounting strap if you have luggage/passengers in the back seat. Also it allows you to use your factory 3-point seat belt and the harness is DOT approved so it's legal to use on the road.

There's the link to the harness. http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

Hasbro
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Have you ever driven a street car with a harness? What are going to do with the car?

dble0
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes I have driven on the street with a harness. I like it better than a regular seat belt. I haven't decided if I would ever do it to my car, but I figured I would ask the questions I have so I can see if it is worth adding to the "one of these days" list

dble0
03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I was in your position a while back when I was looking at seats/harnesses also. If you want a harness, don't get a 5-point because the strap that bolts down in the floor between your crotch will hurt your man sausage under braking. If you're looking for a good harness that you can use everyday but also have access to the backseat if needed, look at the Rallye 4 harness made my Schroth. It is a 4 point harness that mounts to your rear seat belt buckle points and you can detach the rear mounting strap if you have luggage/passengers in the back seat. Also it allows you to use your factory 3-point seat belt and the harness is DOT approved so it's legal to use on the road.

There's the link to the harness. http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

That is pretty slick and a highly potential solution. I was thinking more like a different kind of bar to mount the shoulder portion to, maybe one that mounted near the back of the seat right at the rails just so that it has a more permanent look. But if all else fails I like this idea. Thank you.

EP3Lov3
03-04-2013, 04:29 AM
That is pretty slick and a highly potential solution. I was thinking more like a different kind of bar to mount the shoulder portion to, maybe one that mounted near the back of the seat right at the rails just so that it has a more permanent look. But if all else fails I like this idea. Thank you.

There are only certain points within the car that are safe to mount the harness too. Mounting it at the bottom of the seat rails is not considered safe. Also, a harness bar behind the seat totally prevents you from being able to have passengers in the rear seat because it isn't safe for the passengers in the event of a collision. That's why I recommend the Schroth harness because you get the best of both worlds and it's the safest option, which is most important :)

rd02SiR
03-26-2013, 12:15 AM
I use a 5pt harness and I daily my car in summer. I rarely use the crotch strap as there's no real safe place to bolt it, which makes it too tight on the man parts. I got rid of my rear seats, so the long harnesses aren't an issue for me.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk