PDA

View Full Version : Noise on acceleration....

Dr. Awesome
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey guys I did a search and looked through a couple pages but couldn't find anything exactly to what I'm experiencing. (I'm probably just retarded)

03 SiR

When accelerating in snow and the wheels are spinning I get a horrible banging noise that seems to come from the front passenger wheel that shakes the whole car. Is it a transmission thing like a differential? Suspension?

I find it happens when one wheel is on snow and the other isn't, though it could be unrelated.

I've never had it happen except in slippery conditions.

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2013, 01:38 PM
You say accelerating... just how HARD are you accelerating? Its a broad description that could be so many things...

You need to get a jack under the car and see if you have any play (side to side or up and down) in either wheel. Also, push up on the suspension to see if maybe your upper strut mount is shot. It will knock if so.

Dr. Awesome
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Hard accelerating would be accurate, close to floored.

I'm changing the oil thursday and I'll jack it up to see what the deal is. Thanks for the advice.

cow
03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
The noise only occurs whilst accelerating, not while cruising at speed?

Dr. Awesome
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
never at speed, literally only when I accelerate hard on a slick surface

Dr. Awesome
03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I'll reiterate that I think it only happens when one wheel spins, specifically the passenger side. It snows a lot here and when there is a lot of snow on the side of the road and the middle is more or less clear the passenger side will spin when accelerating.

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2013, 04:06 PM
hm... if everything is tight when you check it out... it may just be good ol fashioned wheel hop...

... keep us posted.

captaingamez
03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I am from pennsylvannia

and this sounds like a good old fashion case of your driving a front wheel drive car to hard on slick surfaces.

very familiar with the experience, drive slower, problem solved.

Dr. Awesome
03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Everything seemed fine when I checked the wheels, I think you guys are right and it's just wheel hop. It seems really rough on the car so I'm gonna try and avoid it.

Jpax
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Have you checked the drive shaft axle dampner? on that passenger side its long, so in the middle of the shaft is a rubber bushing. tug on that, or see if you have a broken CV boot. if grease leaked out , its possible it is your noise http://www.ff-squad.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/axle.gif

but yeah, FWD's tend to spin passenger side if your by yourself - less weight on the passenger side because NO one is in the seat, or weight less then you do, so that area will spin first before the drive side will.