PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Tires

thekidep3
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey guys I have a set of wheels that are 16x6.5 with a 55 offset. I’m going to be lowering my ep3 next month on a set of progress springs and want a set of tires that are a little beefy. I wanted to know if you guys think a 205/50 would work.

tinman5
03-10-2013, 03:37 PM
205/50 will work however you will be going smaller than stock and only a bit wider.
I dont know what kind of drivetrain you have but on the 6 speed acceleration and highway driving are noticeably decreased on that size tire. My 2 cents is look into a 215/50 at the minimum. Because of your high offset wheels you may also encounter rubbing on the rear trailing arm. If you have not done so I would suggest you do a test fit and verify your clearance. Keep in mind this is a possibilty. There are a few members that have encountered this issue with the HFP wheels on lowered cars.
Good luck.

thekidep3
03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
205/50 will work however you will be going smaller than stock and only a bit wider.
I dont know what kind of drivetrain you have but on the 6 speed acceleration and highway driving are noticeably decreased on that size tire. My 2 cents is look into a 215/50 at the minimum. Because of your high offset wheels you may also encounter rubbing on the rear trailing arm. If you have not done so I would suggest you do a test fit and verify your clearance. Keep in mind this is a possibilty. There are a few members that have encountered this issue with the HFP wheels on lowered cars.
Good luck.

Thanks for the response, i thought i might have clearance issues once lowered and because of that was looking into getting spacers. Do you suggest i go with the 215 instead of the 205?

tinman5
03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Personally, I would go with a 225/50, but then I would choose a wheel with a minimum width of 7".
Considering you are down with the beef but are limited by the width, crazy high offset and *possible* clearance issue, my suggestion to you is look into a 215/50. At this size the sidewall will sit straight up and down just to the outside of the wheel itself. Beefy.
The 50 series aspect ratio will also fill in the fender gap aesthetically speaking and the overall diameter will be about 1/2" smaller than stock. Thats just a guesstimate mind you, but that will help in the gearing side of the equation.

Blah1219
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Personally, I would go with a 225/50, but then I would choose a wheel with a minimum width of 7".
Considering you are down with the beef but are limited by the width, crazy high offset and *possible* clearance issue, my suggestion to you is look into a 215/50. At this size the sidewall will sit straight up and down just to the outside of the wheel itself. Beefy.
The 50 series aspect ratio will also fill in the fender gap aesthetically speaking and the overall diameter will be about 1/2" smaller than stock. Thats just a guesstimate mind you, but that will help in the gearing side of the equation.

I have tires in the mail. I went with 215/50 dunlops z101s. Stock tires run 195/65/15s so the 215/50/16s will run .25" longer on the diameter, but it gives you that bit of extra grip. The word thats going around; is that dunlop tires run 10mm wider than stated to I will have to see if that's true.

tinman5
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Dunlops are nice and fat. Thick sidewalls and the rim protector means business. I currently have 2 sets of Direzza 101's, one set is 205/50 16 and the other is 225/50, but have also run the Star Specs. Equally substantial compared to other tires of equal size.
As for the diameter, I (wrongfully obviously) keep thinking the stockers are 205/55 16's. ooops, mah bad...