PDA

View Full Version : How To: Variable Intermittent Wipers

DA9_GSR
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey guys and gals,

If you're like me you're nuts. LOL. I want variable intermittent wipers on my EP so bad. I hate being in a rain fall where the intermittent speed is too slow and the slow speed is too fast. So, I want a variable intermittent speed to set it to "the sweet spot". How am I going to do it? Simple. Remove the EP3 wiper switch and install the RSX switch in it's place. That's not it though. There's a little bit of wiring involved. You have to add two wires from the RSX wiper switch to the EP3 multiplex control unit connector "X" pins 3 and 4.

Tools Needed

- Phillips screwdriver
- Flat screwdriver
- Electrical terminal picks
- wire cutters / strippers / crimpers
- wire repair soldering kit (comes with crimps and shrink tube)

Parts Needed

- RSX wiper switch
- 4 ft of GRN/ORG wire
- 4 ft of GRN/WHT wire
- wiring terminal ends (x4)
- electrical tape

Instructions

- remove lower steering column shroud screws (x3)
- remove upper steering column shroud
- remove lower steering column shroud
- disconnect wiper switch electrical connector
- remove wiper switch retaining screws (x2)
- push retaining pin in to release wiper switch and slide right to remove
- add GRN/WHT wire to terminal 9 on wiper switch
- add GRN/ORN wire to terminal 10 on wiper switch
- send GRN/WHT wire to multiplex control unit connector X pin 4
- send GRN/ORN wire to multiplex control unit connector X pin 3
- install RSX wiper switch
- install wiper switch retaining screws (x2)
- connect wiper switch electrical connector
- install lower steering column shroud
- install upper steering column shroud
- install lower steering column shroud screws (x3)
- test operation

RSX wiper switch

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDg4WDY1MA==/$(KGrHqR,!lQFCy5BELKrBQ8HyEWNqw~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8 800005007

EP3 wiper switch

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Element-03-08-Civic-SI-02-05-Wiper-Switch-35256-S6A-G01-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!loE3G7ey+0pBNyDgW0DTQ~~0_35.JPG

DA9_GSR
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Reserved for installation pics

Ba82Ep3
03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Even though i no longer have my EP3... threads like this are awesome. I love it when peeps think outside the box and look for ways to use OEM goodness to upgrade their shizz. In for info!!

DA9_GSR
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Even though i no longer have my EP3... threads like this are awesome. I love it when peeps think outside the box and look for ways to use OEM goodness to upgrade their shizz. In for info!!

Thanks homie.
I can't take credit for this though. It's been done before.

What inspired me was from my close friends RSX. I drove it and noticed he has variable intermittent wipers. This winter I've piece all the info together and I'm going to make it work in my EP with OEM parts and minor wiring. With my obsessiveness to attention to detail, you won't even know it was modified. You'll think it was OEM.

I've already converted my EM2 winter beater. Here's a link: Click Here (http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=832675#post832675)

The next thing I'm working on is "auto up" on the driver front window with using RSX LF window motor and LF window switch. I'd like to do the passenger window but Honda didn't make a triple contact switch for the RF window on 7th gen Civic's or RSX's. And, not to mention, that'll require taking a lot of things apart to run wires into the right door.

usedep3
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice! I saw a DIY similar to this on the elements owner's club and wanted to try this. Props to you Ryan for gettting this done. :thumbu:

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Nice i have been always wanting the same thing i dont get why the ep didnt come with variable speed wipers will be doing this mod as soon as i can find an rsx wiper arm. Does it matter what year rsx the arm is off of?

Passenger
03-20-2013, 04:20 PM
This is awesome.

DA9_GSR
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Nice i have been always wanting the same thing i dont get why the ep didnt come with variable speed wipers will be doing this mod as soon as i can find an rsx wiper arm. Does it matter what year rsx the arm is off of?

Nope. All RSX's (02-06) from base to Type-S all have the same part numbers.

tqk
04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Can u post pics. of the pins n terminals?

usedep3
04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
This is the thread from element owners club. The pin/terminal locations should be the same.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33356

tqk
04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Sweat. Thanks gonna do mine this weekend. Mad props for posting this. Such a minor mode but will make me very happy when it rains. Also ebay got rsx wiper switch for asking $25

tqk
04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm an idiot. The x connector is on the back of the fuse box. U have to unbolt the fuse box to get to it.

tqk
04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Took a minute n is now done. F ing love. Thanks for posting!!!

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Where did you guys get the connectors for the x connector. I have some for the wiper arm connector but they are not the same

DA9_GSR
05-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Took a minute n is now done. F ing love. Thanks for posting!!!

???

Where did you guys get the connectors for the x connector. I have some for the wiper arm connector but they are not the same

I'm going to add the wires from the switch to the x connector at the fuse block. I haven't gotten around to getting it done yet. But I will. Stay tuned.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Im thinking about going to a junk yard and finding a older civic and cutting off some harnesses. I have all the parts and the other harness wired but i didnt have anything to connect to the x clip.

usedep3
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM

from the element owners club DIY:

For the X connector, you have these choices:

a) Terminals with wire stubs from the X connector of a donor (junkyard) car. This is a sure bet, and each connector contains several usable parts.

b) Pigtails removed from a Metra 71-7992 connector. The 71-7992 has the advantage of being readily available, and each connector has eight of the small pigtails. The 7992 terminals don't snap smartly into the X connector the way the Honda part does, but they do work. You will have to file, cut, or fold over the tabs on the back of each terminal to make it fit into the X connector.

To remove terminals from the donor connector, gently press each wire in toward the front of the plastic shell to unload the locking tab, insert a tiny jeweler's screwdriver or equivalent from the front to compress the tab, and pull the wire out the back. (Illustration below is for a different connector, but the idea is the same.)

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/belt_beep09.gif

c) Pigtails from a dealer's kit if you can match them to the ones on the X connector.

d) Honda wire terminals, p/n 07JAZ-001360A. You will have to crimp a wire onto each terminal.

e) Tyco part 173681-6, referenced below. This is available in reasonable quantitites only by begging free samples from Tyco.

i ended up getting these (07JAZ-001360A), but haven;t done the install yet..

tinman5
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I really want to do this. Factory wipers suck. I seldom use them even in the rain, and when I do use them the speed is never right. Usually too fast.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Lol so after weeks of being lazy i finally finished the install and yeah pretty easy only thing that sucked was finding the right connectors for the x-clips but i did manage to find an 01+ civic coupe in a junk yard so i just cut off the x-clip and took the pigtails off. The wiper timer is pretty cool it is nice having an adjustable timer rather then the 6-7 seconds preset time. Overall the mod cost about 30 bucks found the arm on ebay for 25 and the x-clips and harnesses the yard charged me 5 bucks. Now i just want it to rain lol

DA9_GSR
06-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Lol so after weeks of being lazy i finally finished the install and yeah pretty easy only thing that sucked was finding the right connectors for the x-clips but i did manage to find an 01+ civic coupe in a junk yard so i just cut off the x-clip and took the pigtails off. The wiper timer is pretty cool it is nice having an adjustable timer rather then the 6-7 seconds preset time. Overall the mod cost about 30 bucks found the arm on ebay for 25 and the x-clips and harnesses the yard charged me 5 bucks. Now i just want it to rain lol

I've got the wiper stalk. I just haven't had the time to wire it in.
Good to hear it worked. Great job dude. Post a video of it.