PDA

View Full Version : Brembos

dble0
03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
I finally figured out where to order brembos for the EP. I have always entertained the idea and wanted to try to get a set before the end of the year.....$2600!!!!!! Nevermind. Maybe in the future.

EP3Lov3
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
gotta pay to play, unless you're going for a ridiculous track car, just get some blank rotors and a nice set of pads and you'll be fine. then again, you can always get a used set of brembos

m3nace
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Why not go spoon brakes theyre around 1500

poeticfinesse21
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Just go with a wilwood BBK. Less than half the cost and just as good if not better. You're just paying for name when you buy brembo, stoptech or spoon. Plus the wilwoods shave off about 7lbs of unsprung weight on each drive wheel.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=179&products_id=5523

bung
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Yea I always wondered about that. A lot of guys will go StopTech/Wilwood etc, whose kits probably vary in price what 600-1400? Not satisfied with those names though? Lets consider building our own kit...

Now replacement rotors, even Brembo blanks are not expensive, what 50$ each? http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2003 ... So, what else is coming in the kit, pads and calipers? maybe new lines+fluid? So lets say you can get good pads (as mentioned) and lines and fluid if you need as well. So those things with the rotors, lets put all that at, what, 1000$ for shits and giggles? All that's left is calipers..

So the last 1500$ is the calipers right? And this is what I've always wondered. Are brembo calipers of such good quality, top-end aluminum that does amazing heat transfer or something, that they warrant this price? Is it a quality level that this things will not break down, are tanks or something? Very curious about this, because my drag-racing car friend keeps telling me Brembo's only, but I dont have a 350-450whp ep3, nor will I ever.

Also if I'm completely off-base, sorry I'm not trolling :)

poeticfinesse21
03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
You're just paying for a name. Brembo supplies OEM brakes for so many car-makers that they are the best known name.
Is brembo quality? Fuck yes, but is it worth $2500 when a wilwood BBK can be had for as little as $600? Fuck no. Pleny of people over on clubrsx/clubep3 track their cars with the wilwood BBK, can't say for drag racing though

ep_hatcher_510
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
If your stock brakes are capable of locking up your wheels (ABS to engage), there is no need to get a BBK. Just upgrade the pads, fluid, and get stickier tires.

BTW this is good info - http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=610832

Hasbro
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Ten years ago GrassRootsMotorsports built an EP track car using stock brakes with good pads, braided steel lines, and racing fluid. What made the brakes stay cool were cooling ducts. Done.

From the very start I feel our stock brakes are almost dangerous. Get some good pads and, for the street, you're done.

If you want to save weight, get some Wilwoods from Fast Brakes. Brian will *custom a set for under $800.00 and you'll save over 15 lbs.of unsprung weight up front.

*discs are 11.6" instead of the 12.2" on the bbk.

poeticfinesse21
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
you'll save over 15 lbs.of unsprung weight up front

This is something that most people overlook and why I say the wilwood BBK is definitely worth the cost and not just for bling. Shaving that much unsprung weight off of the drive wheels makes a very noticeable difference plus the extra stopping power :mbiggrin:

Hasbro
03-19-2013, 04:05 PM
This is something that most people overlook and why I say the wilwood BBK is definitely worth the cost and not just for bling. Shaving that much unsprung weight off of the drive wheels makes a very noticeable difference plus the extra stopping power :mbiggrin:

Yeah, the stopping benefits are secondary to me. It's about the suspension and weight loss!

Eddie Murphy
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Do the wilwood BBK fit with the ABS and are there any known issues for ABS problems?
What REAR brakes would you recommend to pair up with the wilwood BBK's?

Powers
03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I think it's 70% of your braking power goes to the front. For the rear I'd say some oem blank rotors hawk pads ss braided brake lines and paint the caliper to match whatever the fronts color is.

Gotta stay fly till ya die homie

USAF EP3
03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I remember when CorSport USA had a blowout sale on the Wilwood BBK's and a lot of questions were coming up about them like fitment, caliper piston surface area, etc.

From what I remember the total surface area that the Wilwood BBK's (Dynalite) 4pot calipers covers just SLIGHTLY less surface area from what the OEM single caliper w/slider clamp covers so that way you do not have to upgrade the stock brake master cylinder.

Also keep in mind that the BBK's were made for whatever car it was for, so for those of us that are using the RSX-S brake caliper swap you need to make sure you upgrade to the RSX-S brake master cylinder or the ITR brake master cylinder to properly use the BBK's or OEM caliper swap.

HondaFreak
03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Do the wilwood BBK fit with the ABS and are there any known issues for ABS problems?
What REAR brakes would you recommend to pair up with the wilwood BBK's?

ABS runs off the axle, so no issues. I run the StopTech kit and track my car, shit is FLAWLESS!
Call FastBrakes. He used to sell a rear conversion kit. I don't see it on his site anymore, but worth a call. He's where I get all of my brake stuff. Guy is legit.

Christian

Eddie Murphy
03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Just go with a wilwood BBK. Less than half the cost and just as good if not better. You're just paying for name when you buy brembo, stoptech or spoon. Plus the wilwoods shave off about 7lbs of unsprung weight on each drive wheel.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=179&products_id=5523

What ROTORS & PADS do you use for replacements for the wilwood BBK?

Hasbro
03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
ABS runs off the axle, so no issues. I run the StopTech kit and track my car, shit is FLAWLESS!
Call FastBrakes. He used to sell a rear conversion kit. I don't see it on his site anymore, but worth a call. He's where I get all of my brake stuff. Guy is legit.

Christian

Brian at Fast Brakes pretty much talked me out of rear brakes with the Wilwoods. I figured I'd deal with it later.

What ROTORS & PADS do you use for replacements for the wilwood BBK?

I'm using the Wilwood pads that are between a Hawk HPs and +. I don't know how they are as they go on Friday.

powdbyrice
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I finally fig out where to order brembos for the EP. I have always entertained the idea and wanted to try to get a set before the end of the year.....$2600!!!!!! Nevermind. Maybe in the future.

brembos from the tl type-s are available for relatively cheap. but the pads are hella expensive and only last about 20k miles under normal driving.

dont get me wrong, i love mine, but too expensive for daily use.

playap07
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=179&products_id=5525

whats the scope on these? Would it be too much bite for daily driving or does that all depends on the driver mod?

monjarassi
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Well I did my brembo brake setup for under 600 dollars.!!!!!

playap07
04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Well I did my brembo brake setup for under 600 dollars.!!!!!

damn! Thats def not a bad deal!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62578-Best-Big-brake-kit
I just stumbled apon this thread and thought it was pretty usefull. It opened my mind on a couple things I need to look into.

monjarassi
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
damn! Thats def not a bad deal!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62578-Best-Big-brake-kit
I just stumbled apon this thread and thought it was pretty usefull. It opened my mind on a couple things I need to look into.

very good find!!!

But going from oem ceramic pads and slotted n drilled rotors up front to now my new setup, its a night and day diff, not to mention the ABS delete.

Hasbro
04-12-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=179&products_id=5525

whats the scope on these? Would it be too much bite for daily driving or does that all depends on the driver mod?

For a little less than that, Brian at Fast Brakes will set you up with a custom kit for the EP. About a pound lighter (-15 lbs.).

playap07
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
For a little less than that, Brian at Fast Brakes will set you up with a custom kit for the EP. About a pound lighter (-15 lbs.).
Thanks. I'm rethinking my brake set up so ill keep him in mind.

very good find!!!

But going from oem ceramic pads and slotted n drilled rotors up front to now my new setup, its a night and day diff, not to mention the ABS delete.

Why are you going to delete your ABS?

monjarassi
04-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Thanks. I'm rethinking my brake set up so ill keep him in mind.

Why are you going to delete your ABS?

O abs has been deleted like 2yrs back.

Art Unique
04-13-2013, 08:20 AM
I do have an ep3 brembo kit for sale btw lol

iDom
04-18-2013, 11:46 AM
If you're going for bling factor, then go for it.

But, as someone else said, if you don't have a crazy track car or something, it really IS a bit of a waste. First of all, tires are the most important "upgrade" on a car. That is what is keeping everything to the ground. Amazing aftermarket brakes + Bad tires is MANY MANY times worse than OEM brakes + Great tires. If you can drive on a sunny, nice, dry day and lock up your tires or get the ABS going, then you do not need new breaks. Your current breaks can supply more stopping power than your tire can adhere to the road = waste of money. Good blank rotors, good pads, and SS brake lines and good high temp fluid will do you very well. If you get to the point where your braking capabilities are limiting your track times, then that's impressive.

Powers
04-20-2013, 04:25 PM
The only bbk I can see being useful is the wilwood for the unsprung weight loss. And less rotational mass.

Bwek
04-22-2013, 05:10 AM
$2600 for a brembo kit??? A jdm DC5R Brembo setup is right around $7-800 with the 5 Lug conversion, aluminum Lcas and driveshafts, If you already have 5 lug just buy the Jdm Calipers and S2000 rotors and it'll all bolt on.

Brembos In my opinion is more for brake pedal feel and if you ever get some 245 r-comps to take advantage of it, Im sure Honda had a very good reason to put brembos on the jdm DC5R