PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on diagnostic port based engine monitors...?

tinman5
03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
Well. I have reached something of a stopping point on mods and upgrades. Now its time for some ancillaries.
I like the thought if knowing whats going on under the hood. I like the thought of gauges that are functional. I own a Honda and thus am susceptible to thievery and malice. Dont like that much. In a perfect world where nobody broke into cars I would have a pair of gauges on the column and the last 2 on the side of the cluster. Thats just not gonna happen as I know people have been peeping in the windows already.
To this end I have been eyeballing diagnostic port based engine monitors. Two in particular. The Edge Insight CTS and the VI Performance Monitor. Both are OBD based, both are packed with useful features and functions and both can be easily updated. Install and removal is a snap and the only real difference is the price, the VI is half the price; and I believe the power source with the VI powering straight off the OBD socket and the Edge using a live power source.
The overall investment is less than buying individual gauges and the ease of install is just a bonus. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I would run the unit with an independent volt meter down in the cup holder. The volt meter is a useful tool but I dont need that information cluttering or taking away from more vital engine variables.
Man, I sure do ramble on these days.
As always, thanks for any input and a happy, safe Easter.

2004ep3hatch
03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
What about using your iPhone/ipad or android device and using a Bluetooth obdii adapter? There are apps now that you can use.

tinman5
03-31-2013, 07:36 PM
I have considered that. The screen on my iphone is kinda small though. I would rather just keep a dedicated unit for this purpose though. A friend runs tge CTS monitor as part of the diesel programmer he bought and it is a nice clean set up.
I am waiting for a response from the UK as that would appear to be the only place outside of Australia that distributes the VI. I'll see where I end up.

dble0
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
To the best of my knowledge, our OBDII ports don't put out the information you would truly want. I could be wrong. I have a scan tool that reads all of the individual sensor information for any vehicle. The only info for our car that I found useful were: IAT, engine load %, coolant temp, ign adv, and like one or two others. If you would like a full list if the info our cars pull, ill plug up my reader and write it all down for you.

tinman5
04-01-2013, 07:34 AM
That would be great. Post up or pm me, either way its useful info.