PDA

View Full Version : front wheel hub and studs

EP3driver
04-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Is a new front hub recommended when replacing wheel studs?

Art Unique
04-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Nah, but it would be a good time to replace bearings if you have the money. Just clean them up no need for new hubs

EP3driver
04-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Nah, but it would be a good time to replace bearings if you have the money. Just clean them up no need for new hubs

That's a good idea. Damn thing broke two studs already while taking front tire off, and I had torqued them to specs! Oh well, after 134K miles I guess they were going to snap.

Art Unique
04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Studs shouldnt be snapping on you regardless of mileage. Mishandling them will though. Not saying you do but try not to break torque with your feet. And install the nuts yourself if your mechanic wants to be lazy use a gun. Also if your car shakes at speed and the wheels wiggle...causes stress on them and snap them easier.

larryo108
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
What is required to replace the studs? Can it be done with the hub still on the car with a hammer or hand tools? Or do you have to pull the hub and use a press?

Art Unique
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I've done it on an accord without taking the hubs but I didnt try it on the EP. Im trying to picture the back of the hub but i cant now. But for the accord i just hammered them out and pressed them in by torquing down the lug nuts...wheels off.

larryo108
04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks Art. Curious to know how easily this could be done without removing the hubs. I would really love to install some extended studs, but can't deal with the car being out of commission.

Art Unique
04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Yea i tried that on the accord and ended up having to buy 3 new extended studs lol. Not enough room to angle the extended studs in. I'll take some pics and let you know if its possible when I do my oil change this weekend. Unless someone else gives their .02 before then. But just keep in mind this isnt the correct way of going about this.

Canuck Civic
04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Ya like Art said you will not have enough room in the front to get extended studs in. The rear is easy. I have my fronts apart right now cause I installed extended studs. You will need new wheel bearings and it does require a press.

larryo108
04-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks Canuck. I would probably do new wheel bearings anyway if I go through with this. They are not that expensive relatively speaking. I am just trying to figure out what I am going to do. The car has 190,000 miles so it could use some freshinging up. I was thinking new axles, control arms, ball joints, and wheel bearings. But I am not sure the car is worth dumping that much money into or if I should just cut bait and run.

Art Unique
04-13-2013, 08:17 AM
If your car only has bushings and suspension parts to change just do it. I just dumped $600 in parts and labor for tie rods inner and outer, urethane bushing kit, spc camber kit and I'm in love all over again

EP3driver
04-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Studs shouldnt be snapping on you regardless of mileage. Mishandling them will though. Not saying you do but try not to break torque with your feet. And install the nuts yourself if your mechanic wants to be lazy use a gun. Also if your car shakes at speed and the wheels wiggle...causes stress on them and snap them easier.

Well I replaced the hub and it came with all new studs installed and also replaced the bearing. The idiot at the shop who pressed the parts out bent the shield and broke off two of the screws holding it and i only noticed when I got home...I cut it off and reinstalled everything back. It was going to be a hassle to go back and argue with them and wait for parts since this is my daily driver and I need it to work. I need to replace the ball joints on both sides but wasn't able to find a P/N on the Honda websites in the chassis parts or suspension...the diagram shows the entire knuckle in their parts list.

Canuck Civic
04-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Well I replaced the hub and it came with all new studs installed and also replaced the bearing. The idiot at the shop who pressed the parts out bent the shield and broke off two of the screws holding it and i only noticed when I got home...I cut it off and reinstalled everything back. It was going to be a hassle to go back and argue with them and wait for parts since this is my daily driver and I need it to work. I need to replace the ball joints on both sides but wasn't able to find a P/N on the Honda websites in the chassis parts or suspension...the diagram shows the entire knuckle in their parts list.

Ya Honda doesn't sell ball joints separately, have to buy aftermarket or buy the whole knuckle.

EP3driver
04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Ya Honda doesn't sell ball joints separately, have to buy aftermarket or buy the whole knuckle.

That's something, the guessing game starts with NAPA and others...they have different parts that do not always fit. I have seen some with a grease fitting on top that will not clear the axle just above the ball joint dang it.