PDA

View Full Version : New member here! Here's my EP3 story and I'd like some tips on what I should do next!

JustGeo
04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
So basically my 2004 Honda Civic Si was gifted to me from my brother-in-law. Back in the day when he bought it new, he'd always tell me that he would give me his car once he got his dream car. Flash-forward a couple years and sure enough he bought himself a new Evo after joining the military. Once that was done he just drives the EP3 to my driveway to keep and that was that. It sucked at first though cause I didn't even have my license or permit at the time since I wasn't expecting a car, and sure enough I didn't even know how to drive stick so it just sat there for like 6 months.

Here's how it looked when I first got it 2 years ago: http://imgur.com/OYXViLA

Some specs on it: Cold air intake, DC Headers, Megan exhaust system, lowered on Eibach coilovers, anti-roll kit sway bars, racing clutch and that's all I can name for now.

He gave it to me pretty hooked up, so now my question is what should I do next? I am now a college student with a limited budget but I do like thinking of things for the future! :D

And here's a quick picture of it now on stocks. (My bro-in-law felt it was unfair for me to get everything so we agreed that I'd give the Rotas to my actual brother haha): http://imgur.com/8fCuVtS

Hope you enjoyed, I'd appreciate any feedback!

captaingamez
04-16-2013, 07:14 PM
welcome to ephatch!!, very nice ride, and an awesome brother in law!!!!!! evos are one of my dream cars as well, but so is the ep3.

if you havent invested in struts and shocks yet, I recommend to start there, I just installed Konis about 1100 miles ago, and they handle awesome.

then some buddy club ball joints, they make a huge difference.

then K-pro....

how many miles do you have on it?

Tnhatch03
04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Welcome!!!

ep32424
04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
welcome to Ephatch and great gift.

JustGeo
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
welcome to ephatch!!, very nice ride, and an awesome brother in law!!!!!! evos are one of my dream cars as well, but so is the ep3.

if you havent invested in struts and shocks yet, I recommend to start there, I just installed Konis about 1100 miles ago, and they handle awesome.

then K-pro....

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else as well. That sounds like a good place to start, i'll start looking into that. I'm definitely interested in K-pro so i'll read up on that as well. I just hit 111,678 miles the other day. I received it with ~98.5K miles on it.

Hasbro
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM

then K-pro....

If the ball joints are rcas that would suggest over 1 1/2" of lowering. If that is the case I wouldn't recommend Konis. They don't like being lowered too much and have a higher rate of blowing than some other dampers. They are excellant for handling, though.

LycansEP3SI
04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the site and she is a beauty.

captaingamez
04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
If the ball joints are rcas that would suggest over 1 1/2" of lowering. If that is the case I wouldn't recommend Konis. They don't like being lowered too much and have a higher rate of blowing than some other dampers. They are excellant for handling, though.

over 1.5" lower they are a requirement, or your car will handle horrible, above 1.5 inches or at stock, they still give us WAY WAY faster steering response. if you drive an 06-11 you will notice that our cars handling is terrible in comparison, theres 3 factors that play into this, lower steering angle, more caster, better roll center. adjusting those things on our cars will make it handle closer to the newer civic, which drive amazing!.

I havent heard about the blowout issue with koni's, got any more info i could read up on?

klik
04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
welcome save for Kpro k24 nuff said lol.

Hasbro
04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
over 1.5" lower they are a requirement, or your car will handle horrible, above 1.5 inches or at stock, they still give us WAY WAY faster steering response. if you drive an 06-11 you will notice that our cars handling is terrible in comparison, theres 3 factors that play into this, lower steering angle, more caster, better roll center. adjusting those things on our cars will make it handle closer to the newer civic, eeamazing!.

I havent heard about the blowout issue with koni's, got any more info i could read up on?

Good points, captain.

Re. blown Koni dampers, not sure where but it's mentioned often enough on CRSX in the suspension threads. I'm set at around - 3/4 - 1" so it's not a problem for me.

Captain, did you find a good way to turn your rear dampers? I saw a thread about the same thing on GrassRootsMotorsports. Let me see if I can find it. Here it is; http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/need-koni-adjuster/63400/page1/
I think the best way would be to take a little ratchet socket and fill it with JB Weld to make it fit well.

Sorry to jack, op.

Update; Koni suggests not lowering Sports more than 1.5".

JustGeo
05-01-2013, 09:29 PM
It's all good man. The more you guys discuss things, the more I learn.

Draw7Seven
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Get a buddy club short shifter. I don't think there's a single mod you can put on an EP that gives you as much bang for the buck pleasure. Every moment of driving is improved with a short throw, whether you're babying the car or being an idiot. You can't say that about many mods.

USAF EP3
05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Get a buddy club short shifter. I don't think there's a single mod you can put on an EP that gives you as much bang for the buck pleasure. Every moment of driving is improved with a short throw, whether you're babying the car or being an idiot. You can't say that about many mods.

The man speaks the truth.

I bought mine 3 years ago when they were discontinued at the same price they go now NEW!

They are a hot and highly sought after item. I wouldn't doubt that they'll go back into discontinued remission again, lol.

JustGeo
05-02-2013, 02:15 AM
The man speaks the truth.

I bought mine 3 years ago when they were discontinued at the same price they go now NEW!

They are a hot and highly sought after item. I wouldn't doubt that they'll go back into discontinued remission again, lol.

If I remember right, I believe my brother in law said he got a short shifter installed prior to giving it to me as well. Not sure if it's buddy club but I do remember him saying something about a short shifter. I'll have to ask him about it once I get the chance.

*Edit: I do also consider my car pretty fun to drive, I have never driven a bone stock EP3 before to compare but I notice a difference when I drive my friends' beater cars that are manual. Is there any way I can check?

USAF EP3
05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
If I remember right, I believe my brother in law said he got a short shifter installed prior to giving it to me as well. Not sure if it's buddy club but I do remember him saying something about a short shifter. I'll have to ask him about it once I get the chance.

*Edit: I do also consider my car pretty fun to drive, I have never driven a bone stock EP3 before to compare but I notice a difference when I drive my friends' beater cars that are manual. Is there any way I can check?

Yes, you either have the Buddy club SS or the Neuspeed SS. The Neuspeed will be a sorta pink/purple plate that goes along the top of the shifter arm. The Buddy Club is a whole replacement unit and the only ways I know of how to check is for the Buddy club authenticated sticker, or drive a stock EP3 and feels the throw difference.

To access the shifter you take both your hands and use your index and middle finger and literally "finger" the rubber shifter boot from the bottom (the 8 and 4 o'clock positions). From there hook onto the inside lip of the panel and carefully pry towards you, you will feel the panel clips undoing themselves and slowly work your way around until the panel comes off. If you got the stock shift knob push down on the silver collar until it pops off and twist counter-clockwise to remove the shift knob.

JustGeo
05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes, you either have the Buddy club SS or the Neuspeed SS. The Neuspeed will be a sorta pink/purple plate that goes along the top of the shifter arm. The Buddy Club is a whole replacement unit and the only ways I know of how to check is for the Buddy club authenticated sticker, or drive a stock EP3 and feels the throw difference.

To access the shifter you take both your hands and use your index and middle finger and literally "finger" the rubber shifter boot from the bottom (the 8 and 4 o'clock positions). From there hook onto the inside lip of the panel and carefully pry towards you, you will feel the panel clips undoing themselves and slowly work your way around until the panel comes off. If you got the stock shift knob push down on the silver collar until it pops off and twist counter-clockwise to remove the shift knob.

Along with your info and using a DIY guide on here, I can confirm that there is a Buddy club SS installed so I can scratch that off my list! :cool: