PDA

View Full Version : Current Autocross setup. Opinions or suggestions?

EP3Lov3
04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Been getting into auto-crossing a lot lately and I love it. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or opinions about my current setup that would help me. Please feel free to share! Also any alignment spec suggestions would be awesome
Current setup:

Buddy Club N+ coilovers
Ingalls rear camber kit
Ingalls front camber bolts
05-06 RSX-S rear sway bar
Mr. Alex rear strut tower bar
Mr. Alex c-pillar bar
Russel SS brake lines
Hawk hps pads
Stoptech slotted rotors
17x8 +38 Evo 8 wheels
(getting Hankook RS3 soon, size 235/45/17)
Also have a corbeau bucket seat so that helps alot

LudeMutt
04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
How does the rear sway bar work for you? I've been thinking of trying to find one at a junk yard to grab suspension parts off of.

EP3Lov3
04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
How does the rear sway bar work for you? I've been thinking of trying to find one at a junk yard to grab suspension parts off of.

I really like it, oem quality upgrade. I picked it up for $30 so I'm not complaining haha definitely worth it imo

USAF EP3
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Been getting into auto-crossing a lot lately and I love it. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or opinions about my current setup that would help me. Please feel free to share! Also any alignment spec suggestions would be awesome
Current setup:

Buddy Club N+ coilovers
Ingalls rear camber kit
Ingalls front camber bolts
05-06 RSX-S rear sway bar
Mr. Alex rear strut tower bar
Mr. Alex c-pillar bar
Russel SS brake lines
Hawk hps pads
Stoptech slotted rotors
17x8 +38 Evo 8 wheels
(getting Hankook RS3 soon, size 235/45/17)
Also have a corbeau bucket seat so that helps alot

Your setup is real solid for a novice/amateur. I would keep it the way it is until you find your skills exceeding what the car can do and THEN think about adding more performance suspension parts.

As for alignment specs try the following, it's a good compromise between tire wear for daily driving and auto-x:

FRONT CAMBER: -1.5*
REAR CAMBER: -.5* OR .75*
FRONT TOE: 0*
REAR TOE: 0* (later try some SLIGHT toe in if you want the car to rotate more)
F/R CASTER: STOCK OR AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET

rd02SiR
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM
i didn't see brake fluid on that list. SuperBlue is some good stuff to put in there.

Zzyzx
04-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Its a start!.

How is the car handling now? also, have to started to track tire roll over & psi?

USAF EP3
04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
i didn't see brake fluid on that list. SuperBlue is some good stuff to put in there.

I didn't bring up brake fluid only because he's just starting out and probably won't be suffering from brake fade just yet, especially from auto-x which is generally 50MPH and below. A good OEM fluid bleed, flush and fill is perfect for the level of skill he is at.

rd02SiR
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Why wouldn't he? He should do it to get the most out of the set up. If he's bleeding anyways, why not spend the few buck more to make the whole set up improve? Otherwise, he will keep getting the brake fade.

The fluid boils once, and it's done. Do it right, or don't do it.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

EP3Lov3
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Its a start!.

How is the car handling now? also, have to started to track tire roll over & psi?

It handles great! Very neutral between oversteer and understeer and I feel when I get the RS-3 it will be a big improvement. Although I haven't tracked psi yet, but I will definitely do that next event

Zzyzx
04-29-2013, 02:28 PM
It handles great! Very neutral between oversteer and understeer and I feel when I get the RS-3 it will be a big improvement. Although I haven't tracked psi yet, but I will definitely do that next event

Start tracking roll over and tire psi. Give it a few events to get a good range of data and we'll discuss what may or may not help as far as tuning.

if you start tracking tire temp that would be an awesome help as well....

Cheep3
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Definitely get the Hankook RS3's you won't be disappointed!

Hasbro
04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Its a start!.

^ Get some chalk and mark some inner and outer tread and a couple of inches up the sidewalls. Take some pics. I know a pyrometer is better but you can buy a laser thermometer very cheap at Harbour Fright for the temps. It works well enough and is very fast. Make a diagram of the four tires and record temps from the outer, center, and inner portions of the treads. Post the temps here.

You can also run chalk lines across the entire treads for street alignment but that doesn't apply so much here.

Slip_Angle
04-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Definitely get the Hankook RS3's you won't be disappointed!

..or the BFG Rival / Dunlop ZII

Hasbro
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
..or the BFG Rival / Dunlop ZII

They are definately the top dogs this year so far with maybe the Bridgestone RE-11A.

EP3Lov3
04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
^ Get some chalk and mark some inner and outer tread and a couple of inches up the sidewalls. Take some pics. I know a pyrometer is better but you can buy a laser thermometer very cheap at Harbour Fright for the temps. It works well enough and is very fast. Make a diagram of the four tires and record temps from the outer, center, and inner portions of the treads. Post the temps here.

You can also run chalk lines across the entire treads for street alignment but that doesn't apply so much here.

Should I track tire temps after every run?

lemonhead228
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
All the tires you guys listed how long do they last for dd?

Zzyzx
04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Should I track tire temps after every run?

if you can. Even better, enlist someone to take the temps the moment you get back in grid. You don't want the tires to cool down and give erroneous numbers.

Zzyzx
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
All the tires you guys listed how long do they last for dd?

daily driving? Figure ~20k, maybe more maybe less. So given the national average is what 17,000 miles? Figure getting about a year and a quarter to year and a half out of them.

Hasbro
04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
if you can. Even better, enlist someone to take the temps the moment you get back in grid. You don't want the tires to cool down and give erroneous numbers.

Especially if you are adjusting the air pressure.

EDU
05-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Why wouldn't he? He should do it to get the most out of the set up. If he's bleeding anyways, why not spend the few buck more to make the whole set up improve? Otherwise, he will keep getting the brake fade.

The fluid boils once, and it's done. Do it right, or don't do it.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question since we are on this topic:
I only track my car a handful of times a year (some drag and road course twice a year) will it be any cons on running the super blue DOT4 as a daily? im thinking in flushing the brake fluid soon before the road course in june.