PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar ?

Eddie Murphy
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
For an 03 EP3 will the 27mm Progress front sway bar fit?
Doe's it fit with no modification or doe's it have fitment issues?
AND what front sway bar is BEST recommended for our cars and where is the best place to get it?
THANKS.

hondero69
04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I have this sway bar and fit perfect, no modification neede, I buy it from japmotorsport.net for a great price

EP3Lov3
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
there isn't really a "best front sway bar". It all comes down to how you want to setup your car i.e. more understeer or more oversteer

Eddie Murphy
04-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I want to know about FITMENT...

Blah1219
04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Are you still running the stock rear sway?

Blah1219
04-24-2013, 08:54 PM
For an 03 EP3 will the 27mm Progress front sway bar fit?
Doe's it fit with no modification or doe's it have fitment issues?
AND what front sway bar is BEST recommended for our cars and where is the best place to get it?
THANKS.

Quite being an ignorant bastard. Take the info in or don't ask questions and search.

mitchlikesbikes
04-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Quite being an ignorant bastard. Take the info in or don't ask questions and search.

hahaha word..

lemonhead228
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
get a rear sway before you get a front one. you gonna have understeer like a mofo with tiny rear and hugh front (no homo) lol

Eddie Murphy
04-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Lemmonhead I already have a Progress 24mm rear sway...NOW I want to replace the tiny front sway bar, but I want it to be direct fit.
And you are a funny mofo...lmao!

Eddie Murphy
04-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Are you still running the stock rear sway?

NO.....
I have a 24mm Progress in the rear, thanks.

Eddie Murphy
04-25-2013, 07:07 AM
thanks!

mitchlikesbikes
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
i'm GLAD someone could HELP you.

Powers
04-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Alright dickhead. Let me enlighten you. That tiny front swaybar is not so tiny it's 25.2mm if I remember correctly the stock rear is 15 mm. Normally we just put some stiffer bushings on it and call it a day.

Ps. If you want more help in a thread you make don't be such a prick and talk with respect. If your a dick to a worker at McDonalds I'm sure they'd spit in your burger.
Right now I kind of want to spit in your burger.

Zzyzx
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
best front anti-roll bar for this car? Why the 15.9mm bar off of the 01 sedan of course!

but seriously. Anti-roll bars are a tuning tool, there is no default "best". It can be very beneficial to soften the front anti-roll bar if your suspension setup can support it, Just as there are times when stiffening the front bar is more advantageous. Hell, even removing the front anti-roll bar has its place in tuning.

So, before you go traipsing off and spending a bunch of cash on a huge honking front anti-roll bar, I have to ask.... What are you trying to accomplish and how is the car handling now vs how you want it to handle?

Blah1219
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Alright dickhead. Let me enlighten you. That tiny front swaybar is not so tiny it's 25.2mm if I remember correctly the stock rear is 15 mm. Normally we just put some stiffer bushings on it and call it a day.

Ps. If you want more help in a thread you make don't be such a prick and talk with respect. If your a dick to a worker at McDonalds I'm sure they'd spit in your burger.

If he asked before he started bolting down random parts to his/her car, I would have recommended the 04/05 front sway and ITR rear sway and start from there. Probably still has a stock a3, too. -_- kids these days.

Powers
04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
If he asked before he started bolting down random parts to his/her car, I would have recommended the 04/05 front sway and ITR rear sway and start from there. Probably still has a stock a3, too. -_- kids these days.

I'd say cusco rear sway itr front sway and front lca's. coupled with aspec suspension and some good sticky tires. Done deal my friend.

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 06:35 AM

How was I a prick and talk with disrespect????
I was just asking a question about fitment???
Just looking for help.

mitchlikesbikes
04-27-2013, 10:15 AM
probably because you CAPITALIZE random WORDS and it makes you sound like a VAGINA.

T_Virus
04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
best front anti-roll bar for this car? Why the 15.9mm bar off of the 01 sedan of course!

but seriously. Anti-roll bars are a tuning tool, there is no default "best". It can be very beneficial to soften the front anti-roll bar if your suspension setup can support it, Just as there are times when stiffening the front bar is more advantageous. Hell, even removing the front anti-roll bar has its place in tuning.

So, before you go traipsing off and spending a bunch of cash on a huge honking front anti-roll bar, I have to ask.... What are you trying to accomplish and how is the car handling now vs how you want it to handle?

Oh Wow...Zzyzx is still on here?

OP, listen to this guy, he knows a lot about suspension.

Hasbro
04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
How was I a prick and talk with disrespect????
I was just asking a question about fitment???
Just looking for help.

Your fine. Maybe quit capitalizing words as some people feel they are being yelled at. As suggested, just listen to ZZyzyx and you'll be well guided.

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Your fine. Maybe quit capitalizing words as some people feel they are being yelled at. As suggested, just listen to ZZyzyx and you'll be well guided.

Gotcha... I always have had a problem with the CAPS thing, not yelling but I will take your advise, thanks.

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
probably because you CAPITALIZE random WORDS and it makes you sound like a VAGINA.

OK, thanks for the advise but the way you say it makes you sound like a real needle dick.

Eddie Murphy
04-27-2013, 04:40 PM

I don't seem to be the most poplar dude with this post, but thanks a lot for the positive input and willingness to offer good advise.
I have A-Spec suspension, new tie rod ends and ball joints, and a Progress 24mm rear sway bar. I got a 4 wheel alignment and the shop says that it has a slight pull to the left but it should work it's way in just fine, they say it has something to do with new ball joints.
Any opinions on that?
This post was written to get advice on what sway bar to use in the front...
The car handles real good now, I just want it to hold the road good and not to have any tire hop when accelerating through turns.
I want to have it drive good and straight and not to eat up tires on me, I would like it to wear the tires evenly so I get good wear out of them.
So I plan to get a Progress 27mm front sway bar and new end links.
Will that do what I want it to do and will that throw off my alignment?
Is there anything else I can do to tune my suspension to get the results I am looking for?

I'm new to this and looking for some help, thanks.

Zzyzx
04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't seem to be the most poplar dude with this post, but thanks a lot for the positive input and willingness to offer good advise.
I have A-Spec suspension, new tie rod ends and ball joints, and a Progress 24mm rear sway bar. I got a 4 wheel alignment and the shop says that it has a slight pull to the left but it should work it's way in just fine, they say it has something to do with new ball joints.
Any opinions on that?
This post was written to get advice on what sway bar to use in the front...
The car handles real good now, I just want it to hold the road good and not to have any tire hop when accelerating through turns.
I want to have it drive good and straight and not to eat up tires on me, I would like it to wear the tires evenly so I get good wear out of them.
So I plan to get a Progress 27mm front sway bar and new end links.
Will that do what I want it to do and will that throw off my alignment?
Is there anything else I can do to tune my suspension to get the results I am looking for?

I'm new to this and looking for some help, thanks.

OK, it would appear that changing your front anti-roll bar is not going to give you what you are looking for. See, people often don't realize that anti-roll bars, in doing their job, also decrease the total amount of grip that end of the car can generate (increase in weight transfer at the tires contact patch). So you may make the car corner flatter... but you will also have increased the cars tendency to break the tires loose when you squeeze the throttle coming out of turns. So your wheel hop on corner exit may actually get worse.

Regardless, throttle on corner exit issues are almost always driver error (sorry). So lets correct that 1st. Best way it was described to me umpteen years ago was that the steering wheel controls how much throttle you can use at any time. The closer it is to center the more you can stomp on the gas, the further it is turned away from center the less throttle you can squeeze. So, if you feel the nose sliding (understeer) or the wheels hopping, ease off the throttle till it subsides, as you have exceeded the total traction amount available to the car.

Otherwise, its time to look at wear items. check your front suspension bushings, replace as necessary. OEM is OK, but aftermarket bushings will help hold the alignment better. speaking of alignments... what is yours set to?

Eddie Murphy
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
OK, it would appear that changing your front anti-roll bar is not going to give you what you are looking for. See, people often don't realize that anti-roll bars, in doing their job, also decrease the total amount of grip that end of the car can generate (increase in weight transfer at the tires contact patch). So you may make the car corner flatter... but you will also have increased the cars tendency to break the tires loose when you squeeze the throttle coming out of turns. So your wheel hop on corner exit may actually get worse.

Regardless, throttle on corner exit issues are almost always driver error (sorry). So lets correct that 1st. Best way it was described to me umpteen years ago was that the steering wheel controls how much throttle you can use at any time. The closer it is to center the more you can stomp on the gas, the further it is turned away from center the less throttle you can squeeze. So, if you feel the nose sliding (understeer) or the wheels hopping, ease off the throttle till it subsides, as you have exceeded the total traction amount available to the car.

Otherwise, its time to look at wear items. check your front suspension bushings, replace as necessary. OEM is OK, but aftermarket bushings will help hold the alignment better. speaking of alignments... what is yours set to?

I just replaced the front lca bushings with energy suspension red. Do those polyurethane bushings make any kind of noises?
I had my alignment done but I don't know what it is set to? ... I'm a noob with this, sorry ...
How do I find out what my alignment is set to?
And what should it be set to?
As of now, after alignment it pulls to the left. Suspension shop says it's cause of new ball joints and should just work itself out, Help please...and thanks.

Eddie Murphy
05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
correction, it pulls to the right...what do you think?

Zzyzx
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
correction, it pulls to the right...what do you think?

all of the time, or just on some roads? As it could just be following the crown of the road, as that tends to make cars with centered Alignments drift right.
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/images/suspension/road_crown_pull.jpg

else, when a shop does an alignment they should give you a print out of the #'s. Else how can you be sure they changed anything or if things are within spec?

anyway, For a good fun street alignment I'd run -1.5 deg camber on the nose, -.5 to -.75 on the rear, with toe within OEM spec.

Eddie Murphy
05-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks Zzyzx... will that keep me driving straight?

Zzyzx
05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
well... probably not. its just a very fun alignment for street cars where handling is the priority.

If you want to drive straight with minimal fuss, then an OEM aliment would probably be better. Regardless, the car should not drift much with either, assuming the shop does their job correctly.

Zzyzx
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
well... probably not. its just a very fun alignment for street cars where handling is the priority.

If you want to drive straight with minimal fuss, then an OEM aliment would probably be better. Regardless, the car should not drift much with either, assuming the shop does their job correctly.

Eddie Murphy
05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks. Great info and I will take your advice ...

Eddie Murphy
05-07-2013, 03:03 PM
So I learned that I don't need to replace the front sway bar. And I learned a whole lot more from Zzyzx. Thanks a lot.

ptriq
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
If you have time to kill, look up "shakedown university" on youtube

Eddie Murphy
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
really????

ptriq
05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Or not.

Eddie Murphy
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
If you have time to kill, look up "shakedown university" on youtube

OK, thanks... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKpNIwQdxQ&list=PL7D7E90DAE3CC3AEF